Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent CREW Cab Declaration problem

Options
  • 24-09-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a 03 Toyota Hilux Crew Cab bought last year and have just gone to tax it and my problem unfolds.
    I am a farmer and use it on the farm and for haulage. It pulls trailers and it is insured as such. I have just NCT'd it and I now need to tax it. It is taxed as Commercial goods and therefore required the Crew Cab declaration to be completed. I cannot sign it as farming business is specifically excluded I am told that I cannot change the tax class and that I have to sign the declaration.

Would anyone be able to advise - my insurance states that it is insured for farming purposes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My understanding is that the Tax class and Insurance type are independent. Check with the Motor Tax office and your Insurance co.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

is there a chance that it's a simple changeover and you've met an unhelpful, officious person?

I can't see why an agricultural vehicle is so different from a commercial vehicle. AFAIK, they're the same rates, ie, no VRT/ VAT etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What is the Crew Cab Declaration?

I own one of these and have never heard of it ... However I live in the black north ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hippyrc wrote:
    I have a 03 Toyota Hilux Crew Cab bought last year and have just gone to tax it and my problem unfolds.
    I am a farmer and use it on the farm and for haulage. It pulls trailers and it is insured as such. I have just NCT'd it and I now need to tax it. It is taxed as Commercial goods and therefore required the Crew Cab declaration to be completed. I cannot sign it as farming business is specifically excluded I am told that I cannot change the tax class and that I have to sign the declaration.

Would anyone be able to advise - my insurance states that it is insured for farming purposes.

If you NCT'd it then it's classed as a private vehicle and and can't taxed commercially, as you would have had to have done a DOE to get commercail tax. Did you book the NCT or was it sent out to you?

Also I don't understand the "It pulls trailers and it is insured as such". All I have to do is tell my insurance company I pull trailers and they add it on. Have you got a haulage business, and if so why can't you sign the form with the haulage business?

@cantdecide if the OP is using it to tow trailers on the road a Crew cab can't be an agricultural vehicle. I think even the JCB Roadmasters are on dodgy ground if used for haulage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Crew cabs should be registered as commercial, and therefore should be getting an annual MOT rather than a two yearly NCT. If you got an NCT, you have it classed wrong, and therefore you must get that changed.

I think that the change of class may be a customs/revenue matter rather than your tax office.

Your reason for not signing it sounds dodgy, or maybe you just need to explain yourself better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hippyrc

I had the Hilux DOE and not NCT's as I stated.

Also just to clarify my reason for not wanting to sign the declaration is that the following condition needs to be met" the vehicle must be construced or adapted for use and used only for the conveyance of goods...in the course of trade or business. Note that the carriage of personal effects alone and farm produce for farmer's own use would not satisy this requirement".

Also upon signing the declaration an insurance policy must be produced covering use for the carriage of goods in connection with any trade or business.

I am a farmer using the Hilux to carry meal/hay/pull trailers carring livestock/fencing and vetinary equiptment/personal use, and my insurance documents covers this. This is my first time having to tax the vehicle and I do not see any way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Just googled "Crew Cab Declaration" and it comes up with a couple of results from Tipperary North and Offaly. I have never seen one of those forms before, nor used one, and I have bought and taxed plenty of Crew Cabs - admittedly not in either North Tipp nor Offaly. Generally use a Goods only declaration (RF111A) for 1st taxation then renew using the DOE cert.

It doesn't look like they are official government forms as there is no form reference (ie. RF111a, RF134 etc). Have you tried posting your renewal notice and DOE cert? Might not have to fill out the Crew Cab declaration then.

Most Crew Cabs are registered as Cat B vehicles, and need a goods only declaration signing to tax them 1st time as a commercial - otherwise they are classed as a car (they do not meet the guidlines for commercial vehicles having more than 3 seats and windows behind the driver's seat.) The only 4x4 Crew Cab that is classified from the manufacturer as a Commercial is the Navarra. This must meet the guidlines for the load area being a certain proportion of the total length.

Advertisement