Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thunderdome

Options
  • 24-09-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok first off let me say this is not a rip at the 'Dome or any of its regular users. I'd also like people to read this and give genuine feedback to my suggestions rather than shout "f**k off, we like it how it is".

The thing is, I personally would like to see the Thunderdome become something more than its current incarnation. Having seen it brought up in several threads in the last few months its obvious that many think it has become stall and repetitive and most simply wont go near it.

What I am suggesting is an overhaul that will give it a bit of structure and purpose and open it up to a broader range of Boardsies. I know these suggestions might require a bit more active modding and may not be worth the hassle.

Anyway here are some ideas:

The Thunderdome should be a place where you can rant about a subject. Think about a topic you would like to post in a forum like Humanities, Soccer etc but where you have to keep your brain in check for fear of getting slapped with the ban stick. Sometimes we are just pissed off and need to vent.

With that in mind it might not be a bad thing to actually try to keep threads on topic.

Most current threads should be locked. Obviously there are some that are active and seem to work, the majority though seem to just gathering dust or descending into insults for the sake of insulting.

Personal Abuse/Insult: The insult thread should be kept active but carrying over this style of posting into other threads should be kept to a minimum.

Threads directed at fellow Boardsies: Ok sometimes other members can do something to annoy you ... it happens. In cases where someone wishes to rant or bitch about someone they must *send a PM informing them of the thread. If you want to bitch about someone then have the balls to let them reply. If they dont like it they can request the thread be locked. If they reply to the thread then its fair game. This type of thread should not proceed until the victim/target responds.
    Sample PM wrote:

<insert user name>

I have started a thread concerning you in the Thunderdome <insert link>. If you wish to respond please do so in the thread. If you wish to have this thread removed please contact the one of the mods of the forum.

Regards

<insert your name>

When a thread is moved over to the Thunderdome it should continue on topic but with a twist of 'Dome.

A charter would be good. Nothing too heavy, just something to appeal to peoples common sense.

Ok so thats my suggestions. I think the Thunderdome could be a very active and valuable Forum, almost like an AH where you dont have to bite your tounge. As it stands every thread that ends up there turns into a clone of the Insults Thread e.g. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055146601 from post 18.

Genuine feedback please.

6th

Edit If some people think that this will water down there ability to abuse each other then I suggest a seperate private forum where people can talk to each other in any fashion they choose..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i don't read thunderdome, but this just strikes me as a silly idea

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Which bit? Constructive criticism is more than welcome. Also would it make it any worse or better than it is at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

From what I gather, the thunderdome is like the lawless wilderness of boards, and as such it shouldn't be regulated or watered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Some good ideas there 6th. You are right, that forum could be more than it currently is.

DarkJager wrote:
    From what I gather, the thunderdome is like the lawless wilderness of boards, and as such it shouldn't be regulated or watered down.

Thats fine, I am not sugegsting people cant be as nasty as they are, I just think it needs a bit more structure .... to make it better not water it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Basically sounds like AH...so why bother?

Lets say I started a thread about "Parents need to cop the fcuk on" ... should the response I get be "stick it up your ass you fcuking nonce, you fcuk kids".

BuffyBot wrote:
    Basically sounds like AH...so why bother?

Cos if I said that Maddies parents are murdering scum in AH i would get banned. AH is great but it definately has its limits. I could get myself banned from AH to prove the point but I really dont see the need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Well it is a place where anything goes (just look at the insult thread :)), so I'd assume thats the same mentality thats adopted for any thread over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

6th wrote:
    Think about a topic you would like to post in a forum like Humanities, Soccer etc but where you have to keep your brain in check for fear of getting slapped with the ban stick.
    The important word is bolded. The thing is... you can't post there.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    The important word is bolded. The thing is... you can't post there.

That can very easily be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Bad Idea,

togster wrote:
    Bad Idea,

Ok I took the time to give my suggestions, would you care to do the same and expand on why its a bad idea?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

6th, you appear to have an obession with the 'dome, what the real issue here? does it kinda scare you becuase there are no rules? do you want to join in but are afraid of creepy or fattening batter? there is no need to scared you know, sometimes its good to have no rules

irishbird wrote:
    6th, you appear to have an obession with the 'dome, what the real issue here? does it kinda scare you becuase there are no rules? do you want to join in but are afraid of creepy or fattening batter? there is no need to scared you know, sometimes its good to have no rules

Can you actually approach the post I have made rather than making up stories in your head about me.

6th wrote:
    Can you actually approach the post I have made rather than making up stories in your head about me.

you keep coming up withthese threads about the thunderdome, i am just trying to understand why you have such a need to change it, is all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

irishbird wrote:

Lol!He's a like a boy who wants to join a gang in school but is afraid to.

i understand what you are saying about not having every thread turn into the insult thead, which has kinda being happeningsince the last rant about the thunderdome but i think when you start having mods, its is going to change the forum. as we know it is being mod'ed to a certain extent, degsy banning and pocari sweats continoues bannings prove this. so i am confused about what you want :confused:

Ok so a couple of regulars dont like change. Can you guys not make intelligent comments about the suggestions?

Further comments directed at me rather than the thread will not be welcome.

6th wrote:
    Ok so a couple of regulars dont like change. Can you guys not make intelligent comments about the suggestions?

Further comments directed at me rather than the thread will not be welcome.

Care-Room.jpg

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote:
    i understand what you are saying about not having every thread turn into the insult thead, which has kinda being happeningsince the last rant about the thunderdome

Ok so you see my point, thats a start.
    irishbird wrote:
    but i think when you start having mods, its is going to change the forum.

That depends on the mod, there is more than one style of modding.
    irishbird wrote:
    as we know it is being mod'ed to a certain extent, degsy banning and pocari sweats continoues bannings prove this. so i am confused about what you want :confused:

What I want is to have it actually serve a purpose and to be somewhere others users want to visit. As it stands its a playground for about 8 people and when a thread gets moved there (which was the intended purpose of the forum) it gets hit immediately with "fcuk off you kiddy fcuking nonce".

Would you support a private forum where you could post anything you like?

Ok so Degsy you cant make any constructive comments, thats fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Yeah i think its a bad idea. Have thought about it long and hard and its a bad idea.

I have had rants in the dome about things that have happend the real world and the boards world and so have the regular users, its not all about kiddie fiddlers and dufflecoats, and bedsits. This is all i am going to say on the matter. so best of luck with your Crusade 6th, i hope you get the outcome you are looking for :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

6th, why don't you ask for a forum that has the things which you outline above?

I never read the 'Dome as it is.

Its an idea but theres no point while the Thunderdome exists in its current form.

I think a new forum and the Dome being made private or some mix of that is a worthy option.

irishbird wrote:
    I have had rants in the dome about things that have happend the real world and the boards world and so have the regular users, its not all about kiddie fiddlers and dufflecoats, and bedsits.

Some links to these threads that didnt turn into personal abuse and insults would be nice. I'm sure they might exist but they are rare I am sure.

6th wrote:
    Its an idea but theres no point while the Thunderdome exists in its current form.

I think a new forum and the Dome being made private or some mix of that is a worthy option.

I really cant see what this obsession is you have with the thunderdome..

If you wish to discuss something then PM me if you wish to discuss this thread then please have a go at responding to any of the points I made .... its not difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The dome can be borderline hairy at times. I dont agree with your suggestion re starting threads about other boardsies. Similar threads there were recently deleted entirely before they even got in anyway offensive. Could it potentially leave the owners open to litigation? I dont know, havent seen it happen but...

I still reckon the place needs a charter to cover one's rear etc but to set strict OTT rules takes away from what it is.

As for ranting about stuff, sure you can do that anyway? :confused:

you mentioned a post above about comments about the mccann's that would see you banned in AH. Are you suggesting that it would/should be ok to post that in the Dome? Maybe i have started to become a bit PC in my old age but it would be highly insensitive and uncalled to lash it in the dome instead. (on that particular topic anyway)

Also im sure the admins have to be careful about what is said in the dome even though its a free-for-all forum. (hence the need for a charter of some sort?) Im sure no judge would accept "ah sure its the thunderdome judge, it doesnt count in the real world" as an excuse for naughtiness! :)

Advertisement