Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thunderdome

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

6th wrote:
    Its sexy when you say it like that.

hee hee, i like it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

It has it's own little community. They seem happy enough and are not looking for change so leave it as it is.

It was created by Dev and not at anyone elses request. So if he and the community in there are happy enough why change it.

If you want a forum sort of like the thunderdrome then make a forum creation request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53725120&postcount=86

Also see the thread from a month ago by R3nu4l/Del Griffith.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

For people who wont bother clicking a link.
    DeVore wrote:
    The Cuckcoo's Nest is great, I love the way it works and its just as I intended it. I wish I had given as much thought to the ThunderDome but I didnt and I need to. It is to be a place of deregulated freedom but that in itself needs regulation if it is to fit in around here. The original post where I explained its purpose would be a good read for many people as what it as degenerated into is not what I intended it to be, which is my fault.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Hello 6th, I visted your thread. I see your takeover has begun......

• Advertisement

Stand with me or against me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53725120&postcount=86

Also see the thread from a month ago by R3nu4l/Del Griffith.

If Dev is "Thinking...." I'd leave him to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

6th wrote:
    Stand with me or against me!
    I wouldn't last 2seconds in the thunderdome, but I'll support you so long asI don't have to cross the line into the craziness place

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

It has it's own little community. They seem happy enough and are not looking for change so leave it as it is.

It was created by Dev and not at anyone elses request. So if he and the community in there are happy enough why change it.

If you want a forum sort of like the thunderdrome then make a forum creation request.

i agree totally

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Every thread that gets moved to the Dome currently desends into another version of the insult thread. This has stopped mod's moving threads there, and is not what the Dome was intended for (see Dev's quoted post above).

Perhaps a forum should be created for the insult threads, or the Dome's current regulars (opinions)?

This would enable the Dome to return to it's original intended purpose "Two men enter, probably neither will leave, endlessly quoting each other and rebutting their points ad infinitum..."

The Dome doesn't belong to the forum's current regulars, some people would do well to remember that.

• Advertisement

Every thread that gets moved to the Dome currently desends into another version of the insult thread. This has stopped mod's moving threads there, and is not what the Dome was intended for (see Dev's quoted post above).

I agree but Forums do evolve. Unfortunately this one seems to have regressed :rolleyes:
    Perhaps a forum should be created for the insult threads, or the Dome's current regulars (opinions)?

I did suggest a private forum as part of plan but none of the regulars who have posted here seem to have approached that.
    This would enable the Dome to return to it's original intended purpose "Two men enter, probably neither will leave, endlessly quoting each other and rebutting their points ad infinitum..."

I think the Dome can be more than it was originally planned to be ... or at least I'd like to see some Feedback threads moved there :D
    The Dome doesn't belong to the forum's current regulars, some people would do well to remember that.

Its like a hand full of Gollums and a big shiney ring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

6th wrote:
    I think the Dome can be more than it was originally planned to be ... or at least I'd like to see some Feedback threads moved there :D

Fine.

I liked the Dome the way it used to be though. I certainly wouldn't move feedback threads there. It's hard enough for some people to post in feedback for fear of ridicule this would only compound the issue. If a thread has descended into shite on feedback then lock it or just avoid it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

to use a movie rating analogy, its sound like some of you want to to turn what is a 18's forum into a 12A. No insults outside the insult thread. only moaning about people if they agree to it. After Hours Redux?

Take a step back, while i still think general charter is necessary for the sites own protection, rules governing what can be said, where it goes against the grain. If the Dome is just used as a dumping ground for unwanted threads elsewhere, then perhaps its that culture that is polluting the dome in the first place?

Im not a regular dome poster, although i do read some of it for entertainment value but the impression i always got was that it was a bit of fun. If someone calls me names there i find it funny. However if you can only be insulting in the insult thread, does that mean if someone calls me names in another dome thread i should be upset and report them? if so, what kind of rants can they have outside of the insult thread?

I guess 6th you can answer, you have made suggestions for the place but what do you see is wrong with it?

I will address this after I eat ...... <faints>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's hard enough for some people to post in feedback for fear of ridicule this would only compound the issue.

The only OP's in Feedback that ridiculed are the ones that are trolls or complain about valid bannings. Real feedback threads seem to be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

krazy_8s wrote:
    The only OP's in Feedback that ridiculed are the ones that are trolls or complain about valid bannings. Real feedback threads seem to be fine.

Serious over generalisation there. Moving threads from feedback there is a bad idea. Mr Mangolia is right. Nothing would get solved in thunderdome.

The Dome isn't about solving anything. Its a place to move threads when they get out of hand .... and feedback threads descend into shit after a while ... watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The dome is a fantastic place, where else can we laugh at the inbreeding and pure retardedness. flutter, degsy, irishburd and all of them i tip my hat for thee. I say leave it as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Anti wrote:
    The dome is a fantastic place, where else can we laugh at the inbreeding and pure retardedness. flutter, degsy, irishburd and all of them i top my hat for thee. I say leave it as it is.

you mean "tip" right? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

eh... yes ¬_¬

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    to use a movie rating analogy, its sound like some of you want to to turn what is a 18's forum into a 12A. No insults outside the insult thread. only moaning about people if they agree to it. After Hours Redux?

Its not that it should be made a 12A but who wants to sit in a cinema with a crowd of tourettes sufferers shout "fcuk, cnut, sh*t" all through a film?
    faceman wrote:
    Take a step back, while i still think general charter is necessary for the sites own protection, rules governing what can be said, where it goes against the grain. If the Dome is just used as a dumping ground for unwanted threads elsewhere, then perhaps its that culture that is polluting the dome in the first place?

Unwanted threads and posts can go to the recycle bin, DeV set up the Dome so that the threads could continue but with a Dome twist.

We have seen in this thread a few Dome regulars say that yes there is a problem in that some people jump on every thread moved there and just hurl insults - look at the threads and you'll see the same people initiating this. So yeah, maybe the Forum isn't the problem, maybe its specific users?

That said, I still think the Dome could be more than it was originally planned to be. Even DeV has said he didnt give it as much thought as he should and would at some stage reconsider its use. This is me putting forward suggestions for that change.
    faceman wrote:
    Im not a regular dome poster, although i do read some of it for entertainment value but the impression i always got was that it was a bit of fun. If someone calls me names there i find it funny. However if you can only be insulting in the insult thread, does that mean if someone calls me names in another dome thread i should be upset and report them? if so, what kind of rants can they have outside of the insult thread?

Not at all, insulting for the sake of it should be kept to the Insult thread but on topic ones are all part of a heated arguement. There was a thread a while back between me and another user and it suited the forum perfectly ... must dig out a link. Anyway there's a big difference between slagging someone during an arguement and calling someone a pedo just coz you can.

[/QUOTE]I guess 6th you can answer, you have made suggestions for the place but what do you see is wrong with it?[/QUOTE]

Based on being what it should be I see the problem maybe just being a couple of users but its not about them its about making the Dome into something more. Most forums on here evolve in someway and its usually a good thing, as Boards grows so does its function.

6th wrote:

Unwanted threads and posts can go to the recycle bin, DeV set up the Dome so that the threads could continue but with a Dome twist.

What is this twist you speak of'``?? I mean surely in an almost unmoderated forum like the dome the users are the ones who define it.? Seems to me you want to enforce your own brand of dome. A dilluted version of what it is now. Ultimately i think you will lose this one 6th. I agreed with this idea before but having reflected on it i think it should stay as it is. A waste-ground a dumping ground whatever. Why not try and go there and start a thread with your buddies here and ignore us all. I dont know what you want and if you started a thread along the lines you were thinking then we could all see. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anti wrote:
    The dome is a fantastic place, where else can we laugh at the inbreeding and pure retardedness. flutter, degsy, irishburd and all of them i tip my hat for thee. I say leave it as it is.

Carefull now...

6th wrote:
    .... and feedback threads descend into shit after a while ... watch this space.

Yeah after a while. Bets on how long they'd last in the dome!! Maybe move the feedback threads there after they have degenerated. Better than seeing MORE cat pics tbh.

But toggy, even users like flut and irishbird have said that threads over there turn into the insult thread very quickly ... its stale, boring and repetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the reason for that is because 90% of the user populous of boards don't give a fig what goes on in the 'dome. I certainly don't agree that users who want to carry on a thread that gets moved to the 'dome are "bullied" out of the dome, I think they just don't care enough.

I do agree that the dome would benefit from someone keeping an eye on it to keep threads on-topic, and to make sure that there is no bullying, but rather that turn into some sort of elite "fight-club" forum, the reality is that most threads would just get moved there and die. Don't believe me? Check out the threads that are there already.

I don't know what kind of forum you want the 'dome to be - there is no reason for you not just to use the forum any way you want to at the moment - no active mods means you can just do whatever you want (within reason, obviously. But certainly there is nothing stopping you from doing what you've said on this thread you want to do). Stick the users you don't like on ignore. If there is genuinely enough support and desire for the type of forum you are talking about, two or three posters won't be able to stop people using it.

You also say that the dome has regressed. It hasn't. It's stagnated. Look at any of the threads from back in 2004/2005 and the signal to noise ratio is exactly the same.

Finally, I see where you are coming from 6th, but frankly, you are not saying anything that a number of users haven't said already. I don't think it's a case of "if you phrase it right, and get enough support, the admins will see your point and change the forum". You've made your point, as have I, and roundy, and various others. If the admins want to change it, they will. I suspect it suits them to have it as it is right now.

Flutther must be working as DeV's junkyard dog, that's what I think :D

6th wrote:
    But toggy, even users like flut and irishbird have said that threads over there turn into the insult thread very quickly ... its stale, boring and repetitive.

But tell us what you want it to be then. Start a thread and we'll see what happens. Just ignore people who abuse you. I will try and contribute helpfully.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

In general i think the dome serves its purpose but maybe some threads go a bit too far, and maybe some kind of moderation would be a good idea. I can see pros and cons to your suggestions 6th. On the whole mostly good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Why the sudden need for moderation?If people dont like it then dont go there,its very simple really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Degsy wrote:
    Why the sudden need for moderation?If people dont like it then dont go there,its very simple really

You're missing the point.

The request for an alternate approach hasn't happened overnight, some of us have been requesting it for a while.

The 'dome has gone nowhere for the last year or more, and most people couldn't be arsed with it.

I see greater potential for it, than the current modus operandi of about four users acting like monkeys in a cage flinging faeces at one another.
    irishbird wrote:

i agree totally

You still haven't said how the users are to be brought back on topic (a complaint you made yourself), without moderation.

We don't need two thunderdomes on this site. We do need to sort out the first one.

Advertisement