Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thunderdome

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

6th wrote:
    But toggy, even users like flut and irishbird have said that threads over there turn into the insult thread very quickly ... its stale, boring and repetitive.

But thats the joys of the dome, dont change it i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Damn I'm in meetings all day!

So lets say the Thunderdome was to break (technical I know) like the Prison Forum has .... would there be a point in fixing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I haven't looked yet, but a thread went there earlier from AH.

I wonder how long it will be before it descends into the usual crap, if it already hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

6th wrote:
    Damn I'm in meetings all day!

So lets say the Thunderdome was to break (technical I know) like the Prison Forum has .... would there be a point in fixing it?

Roll on da new vB. Prison could rock. A certain normal user has posting privileges there, but I am sworn to secrecy.

:D
    Terry wrote:
    I wonder how long it will be before it descends into the usual crap, if it already hasn't.

It's inevitable, like death, taxes, and the 3am backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I see greater potential for it, than the current modus operandi of about four users acting like monkeys in a cage flinging faeces at one another.

"Chimping " is the correct terminology

http://http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chimping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I promised I'd reply. I tried to read the rest of this thread but most of it looks like background noise.
    6th wrote:
    The thing is, I personally would like to see the Thunderdome become something more than its current incarnation. Having seen it brought up in several threads in the last few months its obvious that many think it has become stall and repetitive and most simply wont go near it.
    What I had always thought the Thunderdome was supposed to be, was a place where two posters could resolve their differences. These differences would be identified when the two posters began an abuse dialogue within a thread (or over many threads), basically hijacking the threads for the purpose of a bitching session.
    The moderators could then strip the crap out of these threads and dump it into the thunderdome, where the two users could continue fighting without fear of being moderated, and without a specific topic being destroyed. Nothing more, nothing less.
    The Thunderdome should be a place where you can rant about a subject. Think about a topic you would like to post in a forum like Humanities, Soccer etc but where you have to keep your brain in check for fear of getting slapped with the ban stick. Sometimes we are just pissed off and need to vent.
    Ultimately boards.ie are still bound by some laws, regardless of the purpose of a forum. There's a rant thread on AH which you could use for these kinds of rants, but if you want to rant about the travellers across the road, or the immigrants who've moved into your estate, then I think that the admins would prefer that you didn't post it anywhere.
    Or maybe I'm missing your point here - if you want to provide an example...
    Personal Abuse/Insult: The insult thread should be kept active but carrying over this style of posting into other threads should be kept to a minimum.
    I always thought that this thread was more of a comedy thread than an attempt at anything serious.
    Threads directed at fellow Boardsies: Ok sometimes other members can do something to annoy you ... it happens. In cases where someone wishes to rant or bitch about someone they must *send a PM informing them of the thread. If you want to bitch about someone then have the balls to let them reply. If they dont like it they can request the thread be locked. If they reply to the thread then its fair game. This type of thread should not proceed until the victim/target responds.
    My only stipulation on this is that the thread must be prompted by something - a reply comment on another thread, for example. I don't think that people should just randomly start threads about people because they just don't like them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I just want to say that I think that this was the best Thunderdome Thread of all time!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=283830

EDIT: this is because it's funny with out being completely crass and has hilarious pictures.

seamus wrote:
    What I had always thought the Thunderdome was supposed to be, was a place where two posters could resolve their differences. These differences would be identified when the two posters began an abuse dialogue within a thread (or over many threads), basically hijacking the threads for the purpose of a bitching session.
    The moderators could then strip the crap out of these threads and dump it into the thunderdome, where the two users could continue fighting without fear of being moderated, and without a specific topic being destroyed. Nothing more, nothing less.

It works great like that and used it myself with the whole "she who shall not be named" thread. Unfortunately anything that moves there gets jump on like a pretty-boy in a prison and the original issue becomes irrelevent.
    seamus wrote:
    Ultimately boards.ie are still bound by some laws, regardless of the purpose of a forum. There's a rant thread on AH which you could use for these kinds of rants, but if you want to rant about the travellers across the road, or the immigrants who've moved into your estate, then I think that the admins would prefer that you didn't post it anywhere.
    Or maybe I'm missing your point here - if you want to provide an example...

I fully appreciate that some subjects or points of view would be harmful to the Boards.ie image. Its not so much the subjects but the way they are discussed. The Anto thread is a good example of how it can work. You'd get a warning/ban from AH for some of the comments there but in the Dome its cool.
    seamus wrote:
    I always thought that this thread (insult thread) was more of a comedy thread than an attempt at anything serious.

It is a comedy thread, and funny too, but its when people can switch from insult thread mode that other threads get turned to shit.
    seamus wrote:
    My only stipulation on this is that the thread must be prompted by something - a reply comment on another thread, for example. I don't think that people should just randomly start threads about people because they just don't like them.

I agree, picking on someone because you dont like them isn't cool. But taking a thread or post from elsewhere (man some of those PI threads :D) and discussing them in the Dome would be sweet!

_________

Anyway I just made suggestions here and am not saying how things should be. I asked for feedback because I am open to having my idea change. As it stands I think it needs a bit of moderation but I'm happy to try it out as it is.

Maybe the swear filter could be removed?

Maybe people could start new threads there?

Maybe some basic charter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

6th wrote:
    It works great like that and used it myself with the whole "she who shall not be named" thread. Unfortunately anything that moves there gets jump on like a pretty-boy in a prison and the original issue becomes irrelevent.

I fully appreciate that some subjects or points of view would be harmful to the Boards.ie image. Its not so much the subjects but the way they are discussed. The Anto thread is a good example of how it can work. You'd get a warning/ban from AH for some of the comments there but in the Dome its cool.

It is a comedy thread, and funny too, but its when people can switch from insult thread mode that other threads get turned to shit.

I agree, picking on someone because you dont like them isn't cool. But taking a thread or post from elsewhere (man some of those PI threads :D) and discussing them in the Dome would be sweet!

_________

Anyway I just made suggestions here and am not saying how things should be. I asked for feedback because I am open to having my idea change. As it stands I think it needs a bit of moderation but I'm happy to try it out as it is.

Maybe the swear filter could be removed?

Maybe people could start new threads there?

Maybe some basic charter?

Can i ask why you're stalking my posts in the thunderdome?I think you need to get some sort of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

In all honesty, Degsy, it wouldn't be too difficult to find one of your posts in the thunderdome.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote:
    In all honesty, Degsy, it wouldn't be too difficult to find one of your posts in the thunderdome.

yeah,me and CreepingDeath need to get a life!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Degsy wrote:
    Can i ask why you're stalking my posts in the thunderdome?I think you need to get some sort of help.

Reminds me of this. You should have a read if you get a chance Degsy, maybe you've read it before?

Degsy, if you are going to quote me then address the post that you quote.

As for stalking you, its not that its just that you tend to be the last poster. I've made it clear here that I'll be more active there.

6th wrote:
    I've made it clear here that I'll be more active there.

My Name is Ozymandias,King of Kings
    Look upon my works,ye mighty and despair.

Advertisement