Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping Striker Extreme - good alternative?

Options
  • 24-09-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've had it with my Striker Extreme build so I'm thinking of replacing the motherboard with an EVGA Socket 775 nForce 680i SLI ATX AL

Can someone just sanity check that all the components from the Striker will work on this board - I'm happy they will but would like a second opinion.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Forget a 680i go with a p35 mobo. Much much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

...and will all my existing components work on a P35 - gfx card, processor, memory?

is this an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

What's the deal with the striker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

wait 1/2 a month and get the new intel mobo(chipset) the X38's.

extra :- just too much hassle with Nvidia raid - very slow response times from raid volumes and crap driver support from Asus - not what I expected for the system I wanted to build. Without RAID, cracker board!

awhir - will my GTS 8800 and G.Skill PC2-6400 work with an X38 board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm using a blitz formula (P35 based) with similar components to what you have, 4gb, 8800GTS, multiple hard drives etc. and it hasn't crashed since I got it (and running Vista x64 no less :))

SwampThing wrote:
    extra :- just too much hassle with Nvidia raid - very slow response times from raid volumes and crap driver support from Asus - not what I expected for the system I wanted to build. Without RAID, cracker board!

awhir - will my GTS 8800 and G.Skill PC2-6400 work with an X38 board?

yes they will all work.its comming out in the middle of Oc so reccomend waiting for it :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'll take the Striker off you for a reasonable price ;)

Hyzepher wrote:
    I'll take the Striker off you for a reasonable price ;)

I'll keep that in mind Hyzepher - won't be for a month or so.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that awhir!

Can I assume all my components from my sig are compatible?

Is it a bit bleedin edge to buy the first one to market?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're probably better off waiting a couple weeks for other models to appear, getting the first batch of anything isn't usually a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

...and the inital X38 releases don't support SLI. Crossfire only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That tuniq tower is the only thing you should be worried bout being compatible, make sure it fits on whatever mobo. All others will b ok.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    That tuniq tower is the only thing you should be worried bout being compatible, make sure it fits on whatever mobo. All others will b ok.

tunqi will fit as all boards he is using are 775.but the only problem with some boards it may not fit with the crappy joined north bridge and south bridge coolers+mosfets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: I mean make sure it fits, cos its feckin massive & could end up hitting or being blocked by some components. Google for others using it with whatever mobo

thats what i ment.the tunqi just about fits on the gigabte ds-6 because of the the coolers.dont know any other boards tho.

Advertisement