Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calibres allowed in Ireland

Options
  • 24-09-2007 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everybody,

I was thinking about moving to Ireland from the UK. I target shoot .303 and 30 06. I was just wondering what the situation is with larger calibre rifles in Ireland.

Firstly, can you get .303 and .30 06 put on your certificates and secondly are there any ranges open to the public where they can be used?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There are more experienced people than me that can answer this question in detail, but AFAIK those calibres are licensable. Whether or not you will get a licence for them will be down to the Superintendent in charge of your district in Ireland.

There are a couple of ranges in Ireland (North & South) that will cater for long range shooting. At the moment, I think this is limited to 600m, but I believe 1000 yards is coming soon.

As I said there are other people here who will have more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

If you have a good enough reason for having the calibre's you want
    then there shouldn't be a problem.
    Some friends of mine have licenced .470 .375 .300 win mags no problem so everything is possible really.
    I cant really comment on the target shooting availability .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

basically they can make it as difficult as they like for you to get licenses. each and every gun needs a separate license. they might give you both licenses or they might look for target club membership first, monitored alarms safes etc etc and even then only give you one.
    it's a great system
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Devils Own

Thanks fellas

Its a small military collection of Lee Enfields (7 rifles) that I have, the newest of which is from 1945 and the oldest is 1915. So they are 'antiques' or historic items really, not the kind of think that you'd rob a bank with. I have a couple of .22 rifles and a black powder US civil war pistol and three 12 bores for rabbits and birds.

I wouldn't want to give any of them up but , unless there is some sort of historic collectors certificate, I can see that there might be problems and I wouldn't be able to move the company to Ireland.

Anybody know if there is any such kind of specific collectors certificate like there is in the UK?

Thanks

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Devils Own wrote:
    Thanks fellas

Its a small military collection of Lee Enfields (7 rifles) that I have, the newest of which is from 1945 and the oldest is 1915. So they are 'antiques' or historic items really, not the kind of think that you'd rob a bank with.

Steve

Nice! Sounds like you have a great collection there, what particular models? I assume a No1 MkIII and a No4 MkII anyway? I 'think' antique guns here are classed as being made prior to 1898? (I'm not certain), but them guns definately arent antique just yet, and yes....if they can fire a live round then they are capable of being used to rob a bank :p, if fact, even if they were de-acs they might still be enough to rob a bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Devils Own wrote:

Anybody know if there is any such kind of specific collectors certificate like there is in the UK?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Not as such, FAC's are generally granted for sporting or recreation purposes however they are sometimes issued for the purpose of collecting but this is down to local super. In any case the certificate is the same so you will be licensing each rifle individually at a rate of €38 per annum same as the pistol!

Antiques are licence free providing that you have it checked by Garda ballistics first. Unfortunately for you, antiques are classified as pre 1847. Everything after that is considered licensable.

On the plus side a new EU directive seeks to re-classify antique firearms. I can't remember what the exact date it is using, but 1900'ish springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Antiques are classed as "those manufactured pre 1845 which have an ignition system that does not utilise cased ammunition" by the Gardai though DO, so your lee enfields wouldn't qualify. However, the new EU legislation coming through defines antiques as those made prior to 1900 without restriction on type, so that may change in the future.

Thanks again Fellas

Looks like I'd have to wait another 50-60 years before I can try the 'antique' loophole them.

It sounds a bit like the UK where different county forces and individual officers interpret the regulations in different ways. I noticed that the main range for longer distances seems to be the Midland RC in Offaly but then it was set out that calibres to be used were up to .270 only. But maybe the site hasn't been updated and this was based on the previous guidelines.

As a non-resident, I don't think I would have the right to start going down legal routes to challenge the Gardai.

Croppy.... SMLE MKIII (1915 - marked to Connaught Rangers), SMLE MKIII* (1916 and 1917). Remington M1917 (1918), No.4 MKI (1942), No.4 MKI* (1942), No.5 (1945).

Also sounds like an expensive annual business to register that little lot, the .22s and the 12 bores. Four or Five hundred big ones by the sounds of it.

Thanks.

Steve

Sparks wrote:
    Antiques are classed as "those manufactured pre 1845 which have an ignition system that does not utilise cased ammunition"

Interestingly, that definition (and I'm still pretty sure it was 1847) seems to have disappeared from the DoJ website.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sparks. I wonder how much standing that definition actually has because there is no mention of it in the firearms acts.

Not much I'd imagine rrpc (and that EU directive coming in is saying 1900, and I'd expect it to replace the 1845 thing), but it's the definition the Gardai seem to be playing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Devils Own wrote:

Croppy.... SMLE MKIII (1915 - marked to Connaught Rangers), SMLE MKIII* (1916 and 1917). Remington M1917 (1918), No.4 MKI (1942), No.4 MKI* (1942), No.5 (1945).

Sounds like a nice little collection there, you have the main models of the Lee Enfield family accounted for anyway :)

Its amazing how varied the laws are in the EU states. In Belgium, for instance, firearms manufactured prior to 1918 don't even need a certificate of any sort. People have them hanging on their walls there. I bought an SMLE a couple of years ago by just walking into the shop and brought it back with an 'Article 7' into the UK.

Steve

Sounds like a nice little collection there, you have the main models of the Lee Enfield family accounted for anyway :)

Yes. I'll get a No.4 (T) next. I may get a P14 and possibly try to get hold of a Springfield or Remmy 1903. Its difficult to know where to stop. I'd really like an M1 Garand but you can't have semi-autos here above .22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I spent a week in Normandy (St Mere Eglise) back in August with my Brother and Son. Spent the week dooing the whole D day thing. Visited some fine militaria/antique shops and private museums. (had a private tour guide)

If only I could...I would definitly have a M1 carbine. M1 Carbine mags in working order €10 If I remember early on this year in Irish Shooters digest there was a photo of some lads shooting carbines at a competition somewhere and if I remember they were irish. In fact is there not an add in the mag for SMLEs'

If only I could...I would definitly have a M1 carbine.

Why not get one? Be tempted myself, had .22lr Erma M1 copy some years back, (bolt cracked on it!), lovely little rifle. Always fancied the real deal.

Would they let you have a Garand or M1 Carbine on certificate in Ireland?

Steve

No law against it DO, but it'd be up to your local superintendent and you'd need a range to use it on.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    No law against it DO, but it'd be up to your local superintendent and you'd need a range to use it on.

In general (as much as we all know we can generalise about the various local Garda) there dosnt seen to be much issue with centre fire/full bore semi's. Dont seem too pushed whether bolt action or semi etc..More issues with .308/.223 cals afaik:confused:

Advertisement