Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half decent Camera/Phone

• 24-09-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

My wife needs a new phone, she also could do with a digital camera. I'm wondering if it's possible at this stage to get a camera on a phone which would be a realistic substitute for a stand alone digital camera? Not worried about loads of MP, A minimum of 3.5 would be plenty, I'd be more interested in a camera phone which had a half decent lens with a lens cover and no hassel uploading to a PC. I'm assuming at this stage that such a spec can be obtained. Any make model suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cant go wrong with the SE k800i. 3.2 mp camera and a great phone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AdrianR wrote:
    A minimum of 3.5 would be plenty, I'd be more interested in a camera phone which had a half decent lens with a lens cover and no hassel uploading to a PC. I'm assuming at this stage that such a spec can be obtained. Any make model suggestions would be appreciated.
    Obtained, yes, but unless you go monthly, be prepared to shell out a few notes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Melion wrote:
    Cant go wrong with the SE k800i. 3.2 mp camera and a great phone too.

Yep I couldn't agree more. I have one and it's great. The only problem is I put it in to the same pocket as my keys and it scratched the crap out of my screen but I can't blame sony for my drunken stupidity. All joking aside it's great. It should be about €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I have a Nokia N73 which has a good camera (3.2 mp) and very good video quality. Mine is on a business plan but I'm sure you can get pay-as-you-go if that's what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Thanks for the replies, she's on a monthly contract anyway and probably due an upgrade. What's the SE K800i like for uploading to a PC, is it straight forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

yep, it comes with a usb cable, or you can use bluetooth.

you could also look @ the nokia 6300 - it has a similar spec
    6300S.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

I checked in O2 at lunch:

nokia 6300 - Only has a 2MP camera

Nokia N73 - 3.2MP camera, doesn't have a lens cover, and would cost over €300 to upgrade to.

Sony Erricson K800i - 3.2MP Camera, has a lens cover, and would cost €150 to upgrade to or €200 to buy for pay as you go.

The lens cover alone would decide this.

Thanks again for all the tips.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No bother man. The missus will love the k800, it's a great phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The sony uses the standard Sony picture package and is interchaneable with a sony cybershot camera. Very good pice of kit.

Samsung do the U600 which has a 3.2mp camera and is quite easy to upload (you get a USB cable and software in the box) Samsung are also about to bring out a 5mp camera phone the G600 I think it is.

The N95 is the way to go, but very expensive (but you get what you pay for)

Sony are also bringing out a 5mp camera phone. I think it's called the k850. Don't know when it'll be released though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

YEha i have the K800i now for about 3 weeks and love it
    i downloaded 3rd party software here
    http://myk800.lasyk.net/preview/51409/-121448184/K800-Software-Windows-My-Phone-Explorer-1.6.0.html

when i start the application it autmatically synchs the fone including contacts txts, phonecalls, pictures, video, tasks and calender. connects via bluethooth
    When you plug the phone in with a data cable it goes into disk mod so just shows up like a usb key would in "My Computer" and copien files very easy.

you can write txts through the pc and send them through the pc without touching yer phone. Think you can make and take calls also but i havnt dont this.

The K800i also has a handy PC remote for presentations, media player and desktop.

The camera is great - well best during the day -- at night not so good unless subject is close and the powerful flash lights up the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

AdrianR wrote:
    I checked in O2 at lunch:

nokia 6300 - Only has a 2MP camera

Nokia N73 - 3.2MP camera, doesn't have a lens cover, and would cost over €300 to upgrade to.

Sony Erricson K800i - 3.2MP Camera, has a lens cover, and would cost €150 to upgrade to or €200 to buy for pay as you go.

The lens cover alone would decide this.

Thanks again for all the tips.

I have both a k800i and an N73. I find the N73 the better of the two as it has a bigger screen and takes a better picture and is very good for video

The N73 does have a lens cover

Advertisement