Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warlock - Should I respec?

Options
  • 24-09-2007 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

I am lvling my lvl 46 Afflication Warlock atm. When I reach 50, should I respec to Demonology?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I would certainly advise it alright.

Demonology currently seems to be the most powerful leveling build at the moment. And a demonology/affliction lock is very powerful in every aspect.

However, having only played my warlock to 30, I'd suggest you wait for someone more experienced ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Best advice(coming from a level 70 raiding warlock) is stick with affliction. Demo is only good if your gear is useless, if thats the case I supose its not bad. Personally I cant stand grouping with demo locks, their damage is useless and their pet dies too quickly. Afflic lock can self heal light damage, pump out very nice dot's and use their pet for a mana battery(imps mana regens in battle if you dont tell it to attack, my pets mana included I have about 14k mana).

Again, this depends upon your gear but I would stay affliction personally

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, Affliction is the best way of levelling in my opinion (and most other players too iirc). With all the dots, imp. drain life, siphon life, and dark pact with the imp, you can easily take on a few enemies at a time, and still finish with high hp/mp. Plus, if things get hairy (which they shouldnt), you can always use CoE (Curse of Exhaustion) and leg it.

Plus, in BG, its great just spamming dots everywhere, and having about 100 ticks of damage appearing on screen. :)

Kiith wrote:
    Plus, in BG, its great just spamming dots everywhere, and having about 100 ticks of damage appearing on screen. :)
    Bit more to it than that:P Sure dot's are the first thing's I land but I rarely dot more than 3 people, I crowd control and bolt/shadowburn them down first.

EDIT. Especially seeing as Dots will be affected by resilience soon. Lame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

when i was 39 with my lock, i went into BG's, i had very good gear, all + damage stuff, i just ran up and dotted everyone i saw, when i died i ran up and repeated, in all the BG's i did, i was top damage dealer, by a lot too, it didnt even matter if i died, my curses destroyed people anyway. PvE is a different story you have to dot the crap outta the enemy your tank is agro'ing and then use shadow bolt in case you agro something else.
    Affliction locks own if your gear is good and unstable affliction rocks, im level 50 atm with +154 shadow damage and +99 general spell damage so mobs go down pretty fast... just dot dot dot fear, move onto next and repeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

as a lvl 70 raiding affliction warlock, personally i WOULD respec demo from 50-70, i found it much faster to level demonology and the felguard is good fun.

grinding affliction is only really efficient when you are multimob grinding, dot 3 mobs, howl of terror, loot etc. but one after the other mob griding with the felguard i found faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Robbis

Demo for grind/level, afflic for raiding

or

reroll Druid :)

Robbis wrote:
    reroll Druid :)
    Druids r squishy.

bare durids ar stron!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Robbis

28k armours, not very squishy :)

WTB: 3k armour to hit cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Faylum

IMO when you get to lvl 70 you shud abandon your char and lvl another class. Warlocks are gimps and blizzard's new pets, even a newbie can pwn these days. NERF LOCKS FTW!!

Faylum wrote: »
    IMO when you get to lvl 70 you shud abandon your char and lvl another class. Warlocks are gimps and blizzard's new pets, even a newbie can pwn these days. NERF LOCKS FTW!!

you are an idiot, locks have been nerfed over and over since 2.0. read the patch notes in future before you post this utter puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

cance wrote: »
    you are an idiot, locks have been nerfed over and over since 2.0. read the patch notes in future before you post this utter puke.

No he's right in a way. They are a newbie class (along with hunters), and pretty OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

OctavarIan wrote: »
    No he's right in a way. They are a newbie class (along with hunters), and pretty OP.

To be honest you get a-lot off poor hunters & warlocks who cant do sh*t cause there bad players. If your a bad player and play as a hunter/warlock i think its shows when in the arenas/bg's raids.

The hunter and warlock have to be good players and if they are, they are normaly at the top of DPS or very close to.

I suppose i agree with BadCharlie, but i still hate locks, my no.1 natural enemy.

Its just that when i kill a lock and he has his dots on me, its so fricking annoying when you cant eat straight after. You have to wait 6-8secs before you can eat and by then it could be too late. I mean once you kill someone it should be no longer than 3secs before you can get out of combat to eat. Thats why i hate locks, that and their gear always looks so much better than a mages.

hahaha i love being a lock, people seem to hate them but there an extremly good class in any instance, raids they'll never loose mana, drain life then life tap ftw or use your pets mana pool, bgs, they dot everyone and end up doing top dps. people say warlocks are easy but i see WAY more rogues and hunters on our server than warlocks. every class has their strong points and their weak points, so just lay off the warlocks.... if you still hate em roll one yourself

I began with a gnome lock on bladefist, but the combination of being a gnome and being a lock really got to me, plus it was my first ever char and i couldnt really understand its purpose nor how to control him effectively. So i erased him at lvl 45 and began a mage about 6months later.

Psycopat wrote: »
    hahaha i love being a lock, people seem to hate them but there an extremly good class in any instance, raids they'll never loose mana, drain life then life tap ftw or use your pets mana pool, bgs, they dot everyone and end up doing top dps. people say warlocks are easy but i see WAY more rogues and hunters on our server than warlocks. every class has their strong points and their weak points, so just lay off the warlocks.... if you still hate em roll one yourself
    The whole, "if you cant beat em, join em" doesnt work for me here as I find the whole Warlock class very tedious. They have the potential to be totally abused by a good player and wtfpwnbbq everything in sight. In the hands of a complete noob, with a semi-decent build and fear, drain life, death coil and puppy spell lock bound to keys (or on auto cast :rolleyes:) you can beat most casters very easily.

The problem (or one of them) with warlocks is that they are so scrub friendly, that there is a lot of them. While still being very powerful, that they dominate end game PvE/PvP. And the amount of times you kill one, only to have him soulstone or worse, die to his dots... they are an annoying class and while I hate the QQ of "remove fear" et al. I'd still like to see them die in a fiery pit... repeatedly.

Oh and I presume you meant Life tap and then drain life? :p

Ivan wrote: »
    I'd still like to see them die in a fiery pit... repeatedly.

LoLz

Totally agree

• Advertisement

The great fiery pit of doom plan of 2010[TM] is well under way, regretably we havent solved the issue of getting the pits quite hot enough but we think we are close to a solution. I dont want to spoil the surprise but a major component is long-burning Gnomes.

They are a renewable energy source, dont you know and since the majority of them are warlocks, we call it a RESULT, 2 birds with 1 stone.

Only goblins can be this ingenius, if only we could solve the exploding problem :(

Still, plenty of time!

BadCharlie wrote: »
    The hunter and warlock have to be good players and if they are, they are normaly at the top of DPS or very close to.

im not questioning the potential of a warlock, im stating that they have been nerfed over and over.

Yes i top the dps, yes my damage is slightly op in PVE when i have another 2 locks with me doing the cos and coe. but pre tbc locks were a "meh" class in pve, handy for summons and stones but the dps was a little lacking in comparison.

but its all down to gear, affliction lock in pve gear = squishy in pvp. my hp pool is just 10,000 with the imp and fort. without i dare say its around 8,000.

so being successful with a warlock is all gear based, pet based, stone equip'd and whether you have a healthstone ready.

cance wrote:
    but its all down to gear, affliction lock in pve gear = squishy in pvp. my hp pool is just 10,000 with the imp and fort. without i dare say its around 8,000.

so being successful with a warlock is all gear based, pet based, stone equip'd and whether you have a healthstone ready.

Um, aside from the "pet based" which can apply to hunters and to a lesser extent, mages and the "stone equip'd" part, that applies to every class...

Every class requires gear, good gear, to do well. Warlocks are not the exception to this rule. They are not even the proof of this rule, melee and to a lesser extent, hunters are.

Yes, your damage is very overpowered in PvE. Your single target dps is, for the most part, the best ranged dps bar none. Your AoE is also superb. You provide a stamina buff for tanks, health stones for all, summons, the best 25 man CC (death coil, fear and banish) all wrapped in a high hp pool (by comparison to mages/shadow priests) and with 4 stats (stamina, spell damage, spell hit, intellect) to worry about... I'd class that as overpowered on its own, but wait, there's more!

For PvP you have unbelieveable survivability even with "QQ our lack of escape mechanisms and pure survivability". SL/SL (siphon life/soul link build) gives tremendous survivability for a caster with medium dps. Until the 2.3 balance change to mortal strike effects affecting drain life and the 2.2 balance to resilience affecting dots, warlocks were the bread and butter of 2v2 and 5v5 arena teams. Fear is extremely powerful, deathcoil is wtflol, drain life, devour magic, spell lock AND oodles of stamina, health stones, Fear and drain life (what, they have no cooldowns!), warlocks a feared class (pun intended) in arenas and rightly so.

Warriors became the most commonly seen arena class in the game and as a result shamans and paladins were nerfed. So, by that logic, I'd expect to see some druid/shadow priest nerfs incoming!

Although they did nerf mace spec for warriors recently, so I guess we could expect another nerf to fear or drain life, but I'm not so sure...

Oh and the "my class used to be crap" lark, will only get you so far. Its been nearly a year, get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I play with a warlock in my arena 2 v 2 team. I do think warlock's are good but the guy i play with i think is all right but could be better.

But just wondering can he put his dots on both players and then just attack one guy ?.

Last night I think we played 28 games and lost 8. If we had dots on both players during these fights it might have ment we won another 2 or 3.

And i am a hunter

No, unfortunately warlocks signed the geneva convention which prevents them from dotting more than one player...

This is one of the few things keeping warlocks balanced and Blizzard will not hesitate to ban a warlock if they break it.

[/sarcasm]

I'm sorry, I cant control it anymore, it just comes out in bursts :(

Yes, warlocks can dot more than 1 person in arenas, its one of their great mana assets. Though, my advice is to consider seeking another warlock :o

jaysus :eek:

well you have your mind made up, hopefully the warlock that touched your special place was dealt with appropriately.

Uhmm, I dont quite get your point, but I presume its something along the lines of "warlocks are fine QQ. anyone who says otherwise is moaning/whining/QQ'ing, no constructive feedback is allowed from non-warlocks etc. etc."

I understand, its nice being exceptional. Its even nicer when everyone else knows you are exceptional. Better still when you've been exceptional for a long time and Blizzard seem content to poke minor holes here or there.

I guess I will just leave my little shrine to your awesomeness ^^ until you can provide some alternate reasoning from someone who hasnt been "molested by a warlock". Good one by the way, except it would have been way funnier if it were the priest class I had issues with.

Still, I know warlocks dont really stack intellect that much, mainly stamina, spell damage, resilience and spell hit :D

dinged 70 last night.... jesus these guys can farm, way better than my arms warrior, they litteraly never need to stop if you manage your health and mana properly

Ivan wrote: »
    Still, I know warlocks dont really stack intellect that much, mainly stamina, spell damage, resilience and spell hit :D

Burn indeed :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭kiwi84000

cance wrote: »
    as a lvl 70 raiding affliction warlock, personally i WOULD respec demo from 50-70, i found it much faster to level demonology and the felguard is good fun.

grinding affliction is only really efficient when you are multimob grinding, dot 3 mobs, howl of terror, loot etc. but one after the other mob griding with the felguard i found faster

As a end Game raiding warlock, Who has been playing his close for over 2 year, I would say, Repsec Demo its the only way to lvl, AND Demo Spec warlocks are NOT MENT TO GRP WHILE LVLING ITS A SOLO BUILD So you lvl faster!

Advertisement