Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you decide you were 'Fat'?

• 24-09-2007 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I remember hearing someone say that it's not something that just creeps up on you, it's more like you wake up one morning and thats it. You're fat. Well for me it felt like that too. I had always been slightly meaty in some areas, In my teens I became self conscious of my thighs, but now I would kill to have them like that again :) I remember distinctly when I looked at myself and was completly disgusted for the first time. I suppose the best indicator is always clothes. The most depressing thing is to walk into a shop and find all the nice clothes don't fit. That was my realisation to be a bit more aware of what I eat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

my first real experience of being over-weight was following taking the depo injection, prior to that i was a probably slightly over-weight from the college lifestyle, not too much though was still a size 10-12. Mad but up until i was 18 i always had a flat stomach, hated my legs though far too muscly for my liking.
    On depo i put on a stone -a stone and a half in a really short space of time. because it happened so fast it was impossible to ignore.

It fell off though as soon as the depo got out of my system (about 6 months later) stayed off for about 18months or so.

Then i spent a month away, eating very little with a crap load of excercise. I lost about 1.5 stones and came home at around 8.5 stone but the weight went back on quickly. I injured myself and couldnt excercise for about 3 months and my weight balloned. Put on a the weight i lost plus the same amount again. It went on pretty quickly again so there was no denying it. Thats the weight i am trying to lose at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

When pregnant with my first child this was a license to eat! Thought as soon as I had the baby the three and a half stone would just fall off she came out weighing a grand total of 5 pound 3 ounces!!

Had another child another stone!! Now trying to lose my baby weight 4 years later!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I see why JesJes said this forum seems a bit negative, with talk of being disgusted at ourselves...

Well I guess that's a reality for many people who struggle with weight.

I am trying to view myself as a work in progress. :) I think, thanks to beauty magazines, in my teens I always thought I was fat. I wasn't. I look back on photos of myself and cannot believe the lanky girl looking back at me. At around 19, when I had officially stopped playing sports and taken up eating competitively, I gained a whole lot of weight over a relatively short space of time. I think I really realised at this stage that I was fat (aged 19-20). I have been yo-yo dieting ever since - losing two stone, then gaining it back plus another 7lbs, lather, rinse, repeat.

Until now. I have accepted my fatness once and for all and my tendency to be fat, and through good choices the fat is starting to melt off. I am on a good road and I've no intention of getting off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

When I went into Dunnes to buy a pair of trousers and realised they didnt go up to my (latest expanding) waist size in chinos - anywhere. That was a total shocker and a real wake up call.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

when I realised that when I was just over 16 stone, that my heart rate seemed too high and that is was time to do something about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Usually man tits are the "turn back, turn back!" sign for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am currently trying to gain lean muscle mass but am getting a lovely jiggly pair of love handles

they are gross and I want rid of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

When I was on medication my weight ballooned to a bit over 18 stone by the time they took me off it (specifically because of the weight gain and the associated diabetes risk). At that point I was genuinely unhappy about my weight, it was way out of my normal range (14st-15st). At 15st I'd be overweight but it never really made me feel bad about myself when I was that weight.

I suppose mentally I've a range of weights that I consider "normal". If I start going too far above 15st I get annoyed by it and generally lose the weight and go back to 14st. I'm perfectly content at around 14st, despite this being officially being mildly overweight for my height. I just don't like being "too" overweight if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

when i was home in ireland last christmas, my dad weighed himself in front of me. he is about 5'8 and has your average beer belly, and is of course about 25 years older than me, but... weighed only 1.5 stone more than me. I am 24 and just over 5ft so that rang alarm bells with me. then i finally realised that i really needed to lose weight.

between new year and may i tried to eat healthily and lost about 9lb gradually... but that didn't help too much. then i joined weightwatchers in may and since then have lost about another 25lb and am now lighter than i ever remember being.

I think i just needed a bit of a wake up call, and eventually saw the light. Losing weight has actually changed my life more than i ever imagined it would. i wouldn't go back to the way i used to be for anything in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I'm 5ft 3 and weight 10.5 stone. Probably not very over weight but I do have a big beer gut that I want to lose. I'm broad and starting to get a bit heavy, perfect time to start a change of diet and hit the gym so I turn this weight into muscle. I struggled with my weight when I was younger and found it hard to put on weight, might as well take advantage of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

When I first became overweight, unfortunately it was not me who saw it as a problem but my mother and she made me go on diets for most of my teenage years, it had an awful affect on my body image, I never became aneroxic but always saw myself as fat and seriously lacking.

Over the years my weight has gone up and down, but in May I was at my heaviest and decided to not only lose weight but look at the psychological reasons of why I gained weight and my relationship with food, basically I have used food as a comfort and a means of stuffing away emotions, I am slowly learning to deal with the emotions rather than run to the fridge or larder but also learning to accept my body as it is, and I realise I have a lovely body, I am lucky in that I have a nice shape naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i was never really overweight but the time i realised i wanted to get back in shape was when i told my mate i was going for a run and he replied "are you taking that belly with you" i laughed my hole off but also resolved to get in better shape then him

When I went from a 30" to a 32" waist!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

About 2 years ago... I knew I had put on a bit of weight but didn't think much of it, thought it was only a small bit. Then I saw pictures of myself.... oh dear! That pretty much was a kick up the arse for me to make some healthy lifestyle changes...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I noticed mostly from the amount of male attention I get. Nowadays it's less than usual and the men aren't as good looking as the men who used to show interest. It's depressing!!:(

Plus also clothes not fitting, and seeing myself in photos and generally feeling bad about how I look. Ah well, I'll be back to slim soon enough if I try hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was one of those things I was always vaguely aware of but it got ignored. I told myself (and anyone else) for about five years that I was about 14.5-15 stone and that was OK because I was a big guy and slightly chubby anyway.

Then I stood on a real scales and it read 17.5 stone and the reality hit me. In my head, 17 was beyond the "okay-big" point. So now I'm *actually* around 14 stone, without cheating :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Got married just over 2 years ago and had up untill then been fairly aware of my size even to the extent that I had tried to shape up for our wedding. I was 79 kilos (12.5 stoneish) which for a 5'11 male wasn't too bad.

I won't say I let myself go but I did start eating out more regularly and discovered an unknown love of chicken balls from the local chinese. The old cliche Happy and in love equals fat and contented certainly rang true for me.

I'll be honest now, I had noticed the old moobs making an appearance as well as the fact that my now 36'' jeans no longer needed a belt :o. I fooled myself in to thinking that because I still wore a size L t-shirt that things were not too bad. I seem to remember that I happened to stand on the scales one morning and it read 92 kilos warning bells sounded but were swiftly ignored.

We decided to have our main holiday earlier this year in South Africa, wonderful country. We ate and drank all around us for the two weeks :(. When we got home a t-shirt I had ordered off the web was waiting for me. My flash new size L t-shirt was tried on, when hang on "is this a size L or M, hmmm must be M cause it's a bit tight across the chest" the shirt was removed and no it was a size L alright :eek:. Yep, I had crossed the line from L to XL and guess what I had also bust the button on a size 36 pants which meant next stop the 38'' waist rail.

Well folks that was my road to Damascus moment and I just said 'Screw that' I'm gonna be 40 in 2 years and no way I am I going to cross that milestone in elastic waisted pants :mad:.

Nearly 5 months later and I'm now doing 40 mins 3 nights a week on a cross trainer we bought and on the other 3 nights I'm jogging for 40 mins. On top of that I bought a bullworker and resistance bands for stretching and toning. I now fit into 34'' jeans :D ok not too comfortably but hey I'm getting there. I still wear size L shirts but the moobs are being replaced by pec's :cool:.

We're heading away in november with my brother and sister in law and hopefully it will be warm enough in Tenerife that I can lie beside the pool :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Back in july. End of july i weighed myself for the first time in months. I was 14 and a half stone. I was disgusted with myself. I weighed more than my brothers. And they are big strong men and weren't fat. I was. I knew if i didn't do something then i would have just got bigger and heavier. I did not want to hit 15 stone.

So i joined a gym and watched what i ate. And in just 3 months i have lost 2 stone which im quiet happy with. Alot better than 14 and a half stone.

I was so unfit when i started but now on days when im not in the gym i go off walking. Its great. Im getting fitter and loads of compliments too.

Advertisement