Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new network help, what to buy

• 24-09-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

i'm just about to buy a laptop and change broadband providers to BT

what i have is two desktop pcs which i'd like to both be able to access the Internet and also the files on each others hard drives. These can be connected by wires as i presume that'd be faster.

also have a printer which will be wireed by usb to one of the desktops, would like that to be available to all computers

i also want the laptop to be able to connect to the Internet and if it's easy, to access the files on the two desktop pcs

what would be the best things to buy and way to wire it all up

not sure what the differences between all the routers/modems/switches are. what's the best thing to buy to do all this securely

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wireless router is what you need. This will allow you to network the pcs/printer/laptop and allow them to access the internet.

Assuming you're getting a wireless router/modem from BT this is all you will need.

Advertisement