Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey Squirrels

Options
  • 24-09-2007 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know how far the American Grey has extended into Ireland?

I nearly ran a critter over today and afterwards thought it looks a bit grey and with a body that was substantially bigger then its tail, reds tails are about the same size as the body. I have never seen a grey in Waterford before (if it was one).

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Susipoo

There was one in my Dublin garden just a week ago - v surprised at that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

They've all but taken over the east coast but haven't made it over the Shannon yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Aye - I think the shannon is acting as a natural barrier, for now. But you can still see red squirrels in parts of wicklow and no doubt in other mountainy areas in the east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

never say a red squirrel in meath, plenty of gray ones, they should cull them yankeys

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

yeah they are "confined" for the moment east of the shannon. They are pretty widespread unfortunately, although I don't know enough about them to give you an accurate distributional description.

If AP reads here maybe he could give us his expert wisdom :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes the greys are certainly in Waterford. They've pretty much taken over everywhere east of the Shannon.
    That said, I nearly ran over a red squirrel yesterday (in Wicklow)... Jammed on the brakes so I did (private road).... phew...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm, maybe the red squirrels could apply for some aid from the CIA to fight extremist grey squirrel terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

This report says that the greys occupy 26 Irish counties now, and are west of the Shannon.

Not looking too good...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1009/squirrel.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cant remember the last time I saw a red squirrel! Must be 10 years since I saw the last one in the botanic Gardens and they've been gone from this area of castleknock a godd 12-15 yrs. They used to be be rampant in St. Annes when I was a kid, but they've been gone from there a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

This report says that the greys occupy 26 Irish counties now, and are west of the Shannon.

Not looking too good...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1009/squirrel.html

:(:( it was only a matter of time really. am not sure if the eradication program talked about in the report will be up to scratch and able to keep up (never mind on top of) with the grey population growth

*sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I'd shoot every last one of them - greys!. Poor old redzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 newsjunky

There was something on TV the other day talking about how they're trying to protect the few red squirrels (tagging and whatnot) in the Botanical Gardens in Dublin. I've definitely been seeing more gray squirrels than red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Millions of them in Dublin Zoo, you`d think they would catch them and feed them to the animals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Did anyone catch "Wild Gourmets" on Channel 4 tonight?. I caught the last 15 minutes by chance. They shot and cooked grey squirrels. I loved how they passed if off as Peuking Duck to the pub goers. It looked tasty. I was surprised at how big the tree rats were.

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/wild-gourmets/

Advertisement