Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future direction.

Options
  • 24-09-2007 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Firstly, thanks in advance for your help with this question and thanks again for your help with my other tech issues.

I have a home PC with NTL high speed broadband for which I pay 79.98 Euro per month. I use this PC mainly to browse the 'net, stuff like Wikipedia and BBC and to reply to messages from a friend that I met here on Boards. My question is that as I am at work from 8 to 6 and some days I am too tired to go on-line when I come home, I don't seem to be getting much value for my money, should I get a laptop and wireless broadband like the ones as advertised by Vodafone etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe downgrade to a cheaper package but don't get mobile broadband. It is not meant to replace fixed line broadband but to complement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

Sorry, my point is that as I have a PC, it can't come with me. At least if I was mobile I could browse at work and when away from home. Cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Matamoros wrote:
    Sorry, my point is that as I have a PC, it can't come with me. At least if I was mobile I could browse at work and when away from home. Cheers

Well you should check a coverage map and check if the areas you plan on using it in have hsdpa. The problem with mobile broadband is that if there is more than one person on the cell the speed gets split between them. Plus things like distance from the mast, weather conditions, thick walls and things like that affect the speed.

Advertisement