Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on a crashed car

Options
  • 24-09-2007 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Helo folks,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the story was with importing a crashed (Cat D - rear-ended) and repaired car from the UK. Do they take into account that it was crashed when they work out the OMSP, or do they charge the full whack?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

They charge full whack i'm afraid, heard stories of lads bringing the car up to the VRO office with no front bumper and saying it was crashed, VRO man ''Thats X amount off your vrt off then''.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Volvoboy wrote:
    They charge full whack i'm afraid, heard stories of lads bringing the car up to the VRO office with no front bumper and saying it was crashed, VRO man ''Thats X amount off your vrt off then''.

-VB-

That is a totally contradicting statment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

That was the case years ago when VRO staff werent too clued up on evaluating cars (other than make model etc), and taking the owners word as gospel.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

A few years ago my brother imported a ford fiesta rs that needed an engine rebuild. When he got the initial vrt price it was about €1200 but when he showed them it needed an engine rebuild they reduced it to approx €650.
    It helped though when he started the car it pumped out tons of blue smoke(so much you nearly couldn't see,the joys of a blown turbo)T
    This was the vrt office in santry. so if your car is obviously damaged you should be able to get a reduction. but it is probably at the discretion of the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

A Cat D has been written off by insurance.
    oCategory D:

Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. When fixed can be re-registered as damaged repaired.

Think of Cat D like this:

A car is worth £6,000, but sustains some minor cosmetic damage.

The damage will cost £2,500 for an (inflated price) insurance repair that includes the cost of a courtesy car for the owner while the repair takes place.

But the insurer can sell the car off as it is for £4,000.

So the insurer 'writes it off' as a Cat D, saving itself £500, even though the car may be perfectly drivable and suffers only cosmetic damage.
    Surely that's obvious enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

testicle wrote:
    A Cat D has been written off by insurance.

Surely that's obvious enough!

They are not interested. They give the car the once over and check it's the right car but if it has been well repaired they will put a value on as if it had never been damaged.

It would be a different story if you brought it through in the damaged state, then repaired it.

I know cars that were cleared at the border then turned around and taken straight back into the North to be repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But will they give a lower value if you bring a damaged car to them? Surely a damaged car repaired is worth less than an undmaged car as if you were to try sell two identical cars where one had been repaired then you'd have to sell the repaired one for less - hence lower OMSP....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

But will they give a lower value if you bring a damaged car to them? Surely a damaged car repaired is worth less than an undmaged car as if you were to try sell two identical cars where one had been repaired then you'd have to sell the repaired one for less - hence lower OMSP....

Nope... I tried it after some asshole hit my last car, which I'd just taken into the country. Quote was for full price. They never mentioned if I could appeal it, but that might be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hoors, the VRT is going to be 200% of the price I would pay in stg£ for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

It used to be a nice earner lads bringing in damaged cars from the Uk and fixing them up here to sell them on. Gave UK imports a bad name as most of them were damaged repaired cars.

It doesn’t matter now if the car is crushed into a box they still charge full rate and its up to you to appeal and have the car evaluated. I’m not sure the timeframe on this your car could be sitting up 6 months for them to evaluate it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

No the tax office does not reduce the VRT because the car is damaged.
    The VRT can only increase depending of the options. And this is what they evaluate when you bring it in.

One of my car is a 316i from 94, carpet is dead with a big hole, got the front side well damaged with corrosion, they told me it does not matter. This car has 160.000 miles and they said it has a market value of 2800, I was laughing at them, my car is not even worse 1000.
    VRT paid : 577 euro, for a car I have not even imported, this was a transfer of residence. Bought it 2 years before I came over, they did not wanted to understand my french documents.

Rip off once again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mick.fr wrote:
    VRT paid : 577 euro, for a car I have not even imported, this was a transfer of residence. Bought it 2 years before I came over, they did not wanted to understand my french documents.

Rip off once again !!
    Did you use it during those 2 years? AFAIK you have to prove use (e.g. mileage increase, tax, insurance etc) to qualify for free importation under Transfer of Residence.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

esel wrote:
    Did you use it during those 2 years? AFAIK you have to prove use (e.g. mileage increase, tax, insurance etc) to qualify for free importation under Transfer of Residence.

Yes sure I provided them with the car ID which shows the date of purchase, my utility bills back in France, my flat that I sold before I came over, they had my PPS number created a few months after all of that...
    They just kept asking me for more papers everytime.
    I got screwed on this on this I know.
    This whole thing took 3 months and at this end I paid...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You didn't read my question, mick.fr - about having to prove you used the car.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement