Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to BALBRIGGAN - need broadband

Options
  • 24-09-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently moved to Balbriggan, Co. Dublin and I am looking for a broadband service for a max of contract of 12 months.

It is rented accommodation so I would prefer wireless.

Irishbroadband don't cover the area, so it looks like one of those datacards in my laptop.

I am tempted to go for 3 - does anyone already use this type of broadband in the Balbriggan area and if so, could they recommend a service.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Mobile broadband should only be a last resort. If you don't need it for mobility its not really worth it. And definitely not with 3 if the 100 page thread at the top of this very section is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Digiweb have a new wireless service in north county Dublin which offers good speeds, and their fixed wireless service in Balbriggan itself IIRC.

You could get a phone line and get DSL and line rental starting at €40 per month, as it's a 12 month contract. There's a small or no connection fee if there is some sort of copper line present.

If you look at the three broadband complaint thread, you can see the problems with that service, and what it is good for. Ordinary HTTP web browsing seems to be okay.

ICE broadband *may* be in the area, but I gather that the service is often poor. It is fixed wireless however.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Decided to go with Digiweb after speaking to them.

They offer 14 days money back guarantee so I will update you on how it works in case there are others in Balbriggan who are looking for a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

Have you got Line Of Sight to the Bracken Court Hotel on the main street?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just a quick update in case it might affect any others in the Balbriggan region.

I went for Digiweb as they said when I called that 'Balbriggan is one of our strongest signal areas'.

The modem card arrived yesterday. Its one of those PCIMIA molbile broadband ones that slot into your laptop.

I installed the software, and then the card as directed. Since then I have had the service connected for approx 10mins total out of many hours of trying !! And I will be calling Digiweb later to avail of their money back guarantee. It usually says 'Searching', or 'Waiting L2'. And even 'Sleeping' sometimes.

When it was connected it was ok, although not as fast as I was hoping for.

Compare this to my housemates Vodafone USB modem. It connects ALL the time and never loses signal.

Can't blame line of sight for the lack of Digiweb service, since the Vodafone one works perfectly. And not much point in having 'mobile broadband' if you have to be in line of sight with a hotel on the main street!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement