Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dobie injured her back!

• 24-09-2007 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

About three weeks ago my Bonnie - the female dobie was running at full speed after a seagull as she likes to do at the beach when nobody else is around.

I however noticed that she was lifting one of her back legs afterwards and assumed she had just hurt her foot or something.

It lasted a few days and then went away and I thought all was well as she was back to her usual self and was running about again although not as fast as she had been before and also she now seemed to prefer to walk along with me and not follow the other dogs as they ran about.

I then noticed a little lump on the middle of her back along the backbone. I knew this was unusual as it was not there before and then related this to the leg lifting a week or two before.

Had her at the vet this evening and she is going for an x ray on Wednesday as the vet said something was definitely out of place. Even though she is seemingly happy and plays along with the other dogs as normal I am sure it is not serious but I have read of dobie's breaking their backs as they don't know their own power and Bonnie could run at speeds that must have been at least 35mph.

Hope she will be ok as she is the tourist of the pack - always loves going places and looking out the window of the jeep while the others snore. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Ohhh, your poor baby. Let us know how she gets on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Poor girl! Hope she will be back to tip top shape as soon as possible! Try not to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well she got the all clear from the vet - all is normal after all.

€70 for the x ray but it was worth it as I could not take the chance with it. Poor baby hates the vets so it was a bit of an ordeal for her and she had to be sedated during it so she won't be back to normal until tomorrow. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

did the vet give you any reason as to what the lump was or if she has injured herself?

• Advertisement

I asked him that (about the lump) and he said it was just a 'big bone'. I am sure it was not there before however as it is quite visible and I am sure an anomaly like that would have been spotted instantly by me. Its like one bone in her back is about 3 or 4mm higher than the rest ?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

my gsd has that, i think she's always had it, doesnt cause her any pain and is probably a good thing as she's less likely to get rickets as she gets older, cos her legs dont slope back like a lot of gsds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 madenuf

Hi. I was wondering how your Dobie was doing. Arent they gorgous dogs!!

Thanks for enquiring - my dobie is doing fine and the lump seems to have gone away again. She is back running after birds again but not with the same gusto as before. But I would attribute that to her finally realising she is never going to catch one and getting a bit bored with that lark rather than any injury she is suffering from. :)

Advertisement