Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start! House redecoration.

Options
  • 24-09-2007 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I'm just moving house and the house I'm moving into needs some TLC.

We've worked out what we want doing but just not to sure whats the best and most cost effective way of doing it

Essentially, the plans are...
    Rewiring (or assessment if needed)
    New floors downstairs (Solid wood/laminate in sitting, dining and hall and tiled kitchen)
    New carpet on stairs and all upstairs
    New interior doors
    New kitchen+appliances
    New bathroom
    Fix creaky stairs and new banisters.
    New paint throughout

So, do we just go direct to each supplier and get them to supply and fit(ie - Kitchen company supply and install, Bathroom company supply and install, floor company supply and install etc etc) or do we buy everything and get someone in to do the labour?
    Would there be workmen skilled in all the various areas who could take on all the labour and maintain a high standard of finish throughout?
    Some small jobs I'd be able to do myself but I simply have no time to do any of the work on this occasion.

We seem to be leaning towards the supply and install from each company route, but is this the wrong way to go about it?

Your thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think this would be better off in DIY.

Moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

Supply and fit is the easiest option but most often the more expensive option. If you are going down this road make sure not to pay for installation until the work is completed to your standard.

When seeking individual labour, ask friends and family for recommendations and view their previous work. Tell them that you'll be supplying the materials and ask them for a list of additional materials to complete the job.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

No matter who you get to do it, make sure and stick with proper order of trades... I know if I was decorating in that house, I'd want in to get a fair bit done before you start putting in floors, kitchens or anything else. I would be looking to get doors and wood work primed and 1st coated, get all the ceilings finished and walls prepped and coloured, then apply final coats when kitchen fitters and floorlayers are done. Carpetman and cleaners (if applicable) should be the last people out with maybe a bit of touching up on paintwork, to finish.
    First things first: get your wiring sorted and any tracking or patching fixed up by a plasterer, then get your bannisters and stairs done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Essentially, the plans are...
    Rewiring (or assessment if needed)
    New floors downstairs (Solid wood/laminate in sitting, dining and hall and tiled kitchen)
    New interior doors
    New kitchen+appliances
    New bathroom
    New paint throughout

Best thing would probably get a builder in to co-ordinate it all for you, but roughly you want to do any plumbing or electrical re-wiring done first

New bathroom (if re-plumbing needed)
    Rewiring (if needed)
    Fill in chased holes after wiring (if it was needed)
    New paint throughout
    New interior doors
    New kitchen+appliances

Aim to only make a mess only once. Also if you need to re-wire and any plumbing, this is a fairly big job and probably something you (most) people wouldn't want to live in the house while been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Cheiftan

Start at the top and work downwards and towards the doors, leave finished work behind you and keep the messy stuff in front of you , sounds simple :D
    but it ain't , best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Cheers for all the info guys. Very helpful. Especially about thinking about what order the jobs should be done in. I've just been recommended someone to look after the job so I'll start comparing quotes then. Cheers!

Advertisement