Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD with full HD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

FX Meister wrote:
    I mainly want it for watching DVDs but will use it for regular

Standard HD seems more like what you're looking for - most 1080P LCDs make SDTV look pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'd go full HD (actually did), if you can afford it. SDTV looks great for me and I really get the benefit with my ps3 and xbox 360. My upscaler DVD looks the biz too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

If your buying it from the north more then likely it will only have a UHF tuner which will limit your Analog viewing if you have cable or receive your irish channels from a VHF transmitter, if you have Sky or Digital cable it wouldn't be an issue, go for full HD if you can, for future proofing, DVD's should look ok maybe think of getting an upscaler DVD player which will make your DVD's look almost HD quality.

Snake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

In the house we just have regular NTL so I guess I can't get that. I can tune it in via a VCR I presume. I think I'm just going to go for the HD ready for now. Going to get an upscale dvd player but have to research one that is multiregion and plays div x too. I think I'll go for a sony one looking at the peats website. It says it upscales but does that mean via component or HDMI? The model is Sony DVP-NS76HS.
    I'm getting the TV in Belfast so should I test it in store to check for dead pixels before I take it home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the ns76 is an old model.

the newer model is the DVP-NS78 and is around €129. it plays divx and depending where you buy it can be made multi region for you. other wise you can give it a shot yourself but you need to have certain things first (pc with IRDA port etc...)

i would recommend the ns78 over the ns76 because it upscales to 1080p whereas the ns76 only does up to 1080i, so you wouldn't be getting the full whack out of the full HD screen.

all upscaling on (most) DVD players under about €400 is done through the HDMI socket.

moe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

FX Meister wrote:
    I'm getting the TV in Belfast so should I test it in store to check for dead pixels before I take it home?

Yeah you should check it in the store for dead pixels, they wreck my head and would put me off if I spotted one after spending a large amount of money on it, Just check the actual Sony Model on their site, you might be lucky in that it might have the full tuner in it. If not as you say you can always use your VCR or DVD Recorder to watch the NTL channels.

Snake

Cheers for the replies, I was rushing to get it this saturday but am going to wait couple of weeks to make sure I make the right decision on it. Rang the Sony centre in belfast and they were £250 more than dixons for one of the tv's. Sounds like a pain getting the dvd region free as I'm not sure I even have an IRDA port, I'll look into this.

Nope, no irda, but I know a dude who does so shouldnt be a problem

On second thoughts i think I'm going to go with a plasma from richer sounds. Heard good things about Panasonic so going for the Panasonic TH42PX70PED, comes with a five year guarantee too.

big_moe wrote:

the newer model is the DVP-NS78 and is around €129. it plays divx and depending where you buy it can be made multi region for you. other wise you can give it a shot yourself but you need to have certain things first (pc with IRDA port etc...)
    Any idea where I can get info on how to make it region free, I'm having a hard time finding any online. I reckon I'll get it in peats, can they region free it for me? Any other places you know where I may get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

• Advertisement

Nice one Moe

Advertisement