Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening anvil

• 24-09-2007 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭

Probably the shower Snowbie reported in the rain or shine thread, looked pretty spectacular from here.
    DSC_00450001.JPG
    Also, did anyone else see the great mammatus display this morning, lit up by the morning sun. I was walking to the dart station and didn't have my camera:mad:. It was around 7:20 i think. There were 3 or 4 diferent patches just West of Bray, to the North and South.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Nice one... we had a few decent clouds and heavy rain down here today, unfortunately i didn't have me camera as well..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Nice shot alright! There was a strange hue off the clouds this morning at 7.20am here, a very nice rainbow too, very bright and distinct, I was just too lazy to go get my camera :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Fantastic Trogdor,looking at the sunlit side of the cloud, should put it to your NNW directly over me.Shower happened between 1845 and lasted to 1900.
    Very dark under it for sure but the real interesting thing about what you captured is the distance from where you are to me or in this case that shower,i calculate the distance from me to you of around 14miles south to bray(main street) so in turn that shower is app 14miles north of you give or take(depending on what part of Bray you live in and the exact time you snapped it).Its something i used when on the chase for storms,it gives you an approx distance.

So in future with your obs,you can nearly judge where exactly the shower is relative to horizon, background with an anvil in all directions.
    That anvil btw would have reached a height of around 30,000 feet with the base of it directly over me.Great capture:)

Edit:There was a small bit of mammatus from this as it passed.

Advertisement