Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia Modem fried

Options
  • 24-09-2007 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

My brother in laws Netopia modem got fried last night.
    No warning of a lightening storm and there was only two lightening strikes and of course the second one hit their over head phone lines.
    Luckily the laptop is connected wirelessly and the PC is undergoing an upgrade.

He phoned my earlier and said that there is no life at all on the netopia. They have had this for couple of years. Is it still Eircoms property and will need replacing or can he get a different one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Eircom regularly replace them...it will always be Eircoms property.

They SHOULD replace it, but I'd recommend buying something a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I had the original non-wireless Netopia from Eircom and I thought it was a very good unit. I found it a lot better in many ways than my current Linksys Wireless-G router/modem. For diagnostic logging it is way ahead of Linksys.
    I still have that modem after switching to BT. My understanding is the modem becomes your property after serving the initial contract period of one year.

What is the current best Wireless modem/router offered by Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I also thought it may have been your own after the initial year. Have tried finding out on their website but no luck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kleefarr wrote:
    I also thought it may have been your own after the initial year. Have tried finding out on their website but no luck.

Did you try ringing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

kleefarr wrote:
    My brother in laws Netopia modem got fried last night.
    No warning of a lightening storm and there was only two lightening strikes and of course the second one hit their over head phone lines.
    Luckily the laptop is connected wirelessly and the PC is undergoing an upgrade.

He phoned my earlier and said that there is no life at all on the netopia. They have had this for couple of years. Is it still Eircoms property and will need replacing or can he get a different one?
    It is eircom standard policy to replace any broken modem as long as you don't admit that you broke it yourself.

So: "Dumped the modem in the fishtank and now no lights come on" won't get you anywhere, but "None of the lights on the modem are coming on when I flick the switch. I have no idea what is wrong" will get you a new modem guaranteed.

From what you say though, the modem actually was fried by lightening, so they will replace it no problems.

(used to work in there, what a urine soaked heck hole!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hmm I used to work there and I don't remember it being a urine soaked heck hole. Was this before or after Stream took over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Thanks for the reply Antilles.

Was pretty much what I was thinking. Have passed on the info. ;)

Advertisement