Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for 6th years - study time

Options
  • 24-09-2007 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Ok, so since being the back the last few weeks I seem to have zero time/energy to do any of my own study. I do my homework well and study for all my tests...but other than that, it just aint happening folks! :eek:
    Is this normal? Should I be doing more? I'm freaking out but I just don't have it in me to put in more right now....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I'm not even keeping up with homework. I dunno what's wrong with me. Dunno if it's normal, but you're not on your own anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

By the time all the homework and stuff is done I'm too tired to study. But homework is a form of study, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

Diarmsquid wrote:
    I'm not even keeping up with homework. I dunno what's wrong with me. Dunno if it's normal, but you're not on your own anyway.

That's a relief!
    By the time all the homework and stuff is done I'm too tired to study. But homework is a form of study, right?

Oh yeah, absolutely - it's just the revision of all the stuff we did last year that I'm worried about....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yet another chance to pimp my guide!

Basically do the homework up to xmas, get the finger out at xmas up to mocks, learn from mistakes in the mocks and continue to study steadily til June. Thats all there is to it!

Edit: Thar be me big long spiel> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055129241&referrerid=&highlight=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

totally right cson

by the way please support my request for a forum in the edu section for unis in northern ireland

go to the sys section and then click on forums and you will see it on that page

thanks

• Advertisement

cson wrote:
    Yet another chance to pimp my guide!

Basically do the homework up to xmas, get the finger out at xmas up to mocks, learn from mistakes in the mocks and continue to study steadily til June. Thats all there is to it!

Edit: Thar be me big long spiel> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055129241&referrerid=&highlight=
    Thanks cson. ;) Our mocks are only 3 weeks after Christmas though, so I feel like I'd be cutting it a bit fine. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Aim to pass the mocks...remember you have all the way after that until June to study hard. We were told to treat the mocks as a time keeping exercise. We did. It worked. What can I say?

Unfortunately, I need to do alot more than just pass the mocks if I want to get over 540 in June... :o

Turquoise wrote:
    Thanks cson. ;) Our mocks are only 3 weeks after Christmas though, so I feel like I'd be cutting it a bit fine. :/
    Yeah in my school they're the end of Jan/First week in February.
    .. Right before the NCAD portfolio deadline! Ah lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Turquoise wrote:
    Unfortunately, I need to do alot more than just pass the mocks if I want to get over 540 in June... :o

Well if you're looking to get over 540 then the chances are that you will be the type of person who will do way better than just pass the exams even with the minimal effort. That is just in general though. But seriously, don't be disappointed about the mocks, most courses are only finishing by then. From after them on it's all revision in class, plus your own stuff at home, you'll be grand. You have months to improve and get your 540:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

:) this thread makes me feel alot better.
    i am just keeping up with homework too.
    went through the poems of rich i did last year in english tonight. only thing i did all week in terms of non homework study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Not that I studied or did my homework that much for my LC last year, I found that just keeping up with the homework is enough to keep the nerves at bay. If you're really serious, do some past papers. There's not much to it; if you don't understand something, aks a teacher or wikipedia it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: it's pretty much the same for everyone this time of the year. I'm only managing to keep up with homework, and I started a bit of research for my Religion coursework yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Thank god, this is normal. homework is taking me three to four hours at this point, so not much study is getting done...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

This thread is great! I thought I was screwing up by just doing homework and nothing else at the moment.. I just dont seem to be able to bring myself to do much more and Im easily distracted, By boards for example ;)..
    Im thinking of doing night study in school from 7-10 to eliminate all distractions..

I just disallow myself from going on the pc until my homework/violin practice is done, it's the only way anything can happen. The problem that occurs is when my homework requires me to turn on pc. It's so easy to say "alright, Firefox is already open.. may as well just open a couple of other tabs, check my mail... *two hours later* Oh god..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I just disallow myself from going on the pc until my homework/violin practice is done, it's the only way anything can happen. The problem that occurs is when my homework requires me to turn on pc. It's so easy to say "alright, Firefox is already open.. may as well just open a couple of other tabs, check my mail... *two hours later* Oh god..."
    lol, that used to happen to me a lot. At the time I sometimes felt I was wasting loads of potential study time(It's not an overexaggeration to say I got next to nothing done on the vast majority of weekends until about March), but it all worked out in the end.

That said, I had after school study for 3 hours after school 3-5 days a week from the start of 6th year, so I generally got all the Homework and extra study I felt like doing done in that. Setting aside no-distraction time for 2/3 hours after school is definately a good thing.

And although I never properly incorporated it into my regular study routine(seeing as I didn't have a regular study routine in the first place), I found practicing my recorder or guitar rather than going on the PC was a better way to spend my 10 minute breaks. Playing music is a good way to relax and take a break without it being too distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Turquoise wrote:
    Ok, so since being the back the last few weeks I seem to have zero time/energy to do any of my own study. I do my homework well and study for all my tests...but other than that, it just aint happening folks! :eek:
    Is this normal? Should I be doing more? I'm freaking out but I just don't have it in me to put in more right now....

I am in the same boat, i should actually be in evening study now, but obviuosly I am not. I don't really study too much, and haven't been doing homework at all really. I will generally do it in frees and now that evening study has started back I will do it there. I just feel like I need to ease myself back into the flow of things:D , last year I didn't do much at all and my summer tests showed that only too well. I really need to start doing my homework again. But at least OP you are studying for your tests unlike me, I cxan never ever study, I don't know how. I feel ashamed to say the least :(

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

It's mad, I've studied more in the past week than I ever did up til now. My advice for any other workaphobes is to just sign up for after school study and force yourself to go. Once there, I started working of my own accord and getting a decent amount done. As for homework, I get most of it done in class and if not, then during religion. If I don't get it done then, I just leave it, study is more important, I think. Most teachers seem to feel this way too this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I really dont like the leaving cert. Im doin 4 hours supervised study on saturday morning, no more rugby for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its a good idea to do the supervised study if your school does it. Good for focusing yourself, laptops and pcs are dangerous things to have in your study area.

Advertisement