Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't get the 3 DataModem wizard to run on my laptop

• 24-09-2007 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 with XP recently.

The broadband option I went for was with 3. It connects to my laptop via usb. The hardware and drivers seem to install fine. However the wizard never runs to install the software on my laptop.

I'll go through what gets installed when I plug in 3 DataModem HSDPA

Device Manager:
    - HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device driver gets installed in DVD/CD-ROM drives
    - USB Mass Storage Device driver gets installed in Universal Serial Bus controllers
    When I checked both of these it says the device it working properly

Disk Management:
    The screenshot attached shows the new volume as "Mobile_Connect(E: )" and "CD-ROM2 CD-ROM Online"

My Computer:
    Shows up in Device with Removable Storage with name of "CD Drive(E: )" and type of CD Drive.If I double click on it, it opens with an empty content. The 3 software wizard should have run when I do this.

I've tried to fix this a couple of days and nothing I do works. I uninstalled the drivers and so on and their device status show as working properly

I've used someone else's laptop as well and the wizard runs fine and installs the software. therfore the problem is with my laptop and not the 3 DataModem

Can anyone please provide me with some advice!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong?

In the My Computer screenshot in the document attached, the image beside CD Drive (E: ) looks like a cd image.

In the other laptop that the wizard ran fine in, that had changed to a green coloured image with the letter M. Then the wizard ran when I double clicked it

Any idea why it stays as a cd image for me? Does it look like my laptop thinks it's a cd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from laptops - you should get a better response here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This hp quite common. Apparently the modem isn't compatible with some software, namely dell support, norton save and restore and hp quickplay

to disable dell support, go to start-run-type msconfig-press enter
    go to services then either look for it or press hide all microsoft services, then highlight all and disable all. To get rid of the other two, you have to uninstall them afaik

Thanks for that Commander Virus.

I'll disable dell support and see how I get on. I don't have Norton or HP quick play as far as I know.

Pity 3 didn't supply this info in their minimal documentation

I've heard that doing that is supposed to solve the problem but i've never managed to get it working myself. An interesting thing about the problem is that the o2 modem has installed fine on every laptop that the 3 modem wouldn't install on and they're the same hardware

• Advertisement

I removed all my anti-virus and disabled dell support. Wizard still wouldn't run.

I then went to their website and installed from there http://www.3ireland.ie/broadband/drivers.htm

When I run the 3 DataModem HSPDA then I get the mesage "Detecting Data Modem" and then "Data Modem Invalid"

Looks like a call to their tech support is the next port of call.

Although reading horror stories here http://aonach.com/chatter/ I may just bring it back and try get a refund

Thanks for your replies

Probably for the best. Even if you get it installed it probably won't work properly and people who have installed the modem properly still get that data modem invalid error occasionally.

take a look go the broadband forum for some horror stories of modem users. My advice, get the o2 one if you need mobile broadband and can afford it. The o2 modems firmware isn't full of bugs like the 3 one

make sure to bring it back within the 14 days

Advertisement