Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Bike under 500

Options
  • 25-09-2007 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I do triathlons, and I'm looking for a good bike. I looked at tri bikes but they are too expensive (and, honestly, I'm not good enough to pay for the extra performance:rolleyes: ), so I'm looking to buy a new or used racing bike and put the frontal bars on it for 50 bucks or so:cool: . What would you recommend? I Don't need fancy doodads, just a fairly simple bike with good shifting and good reliability and value.
    Specifically I am interested in Fuji, Giant, and Trek bikes. What do you know about them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The Giant SCR 4 is available for 505 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

From the bit of research I've done, the Giant SCR 4 (formerly known as OCR 4) starts at around 540 new, while the Trek 1000 is around 600, I think, depending on where you go. Dunno about Fuji at all.

The Specialized Allez has received a lot of recommendations around here before as an entry level bike, but you'd be looking at about 750 brick for a new one.

Maybe you should consider going second hand...?
    I do triathlons, and I'm looking for a good bike. I looked at tri bikes but they are too expensive (and, honestly, I'm not good enough to pay for the extra performance:rolleyes: ), so I'm looking to buy a new or used racing bike and put the frontal bars on it for 50 bucks or so:cool: . What would you recommend? I Don't need fancy doodads, just a fairly simple bike with good shifting and good reliability and value.
    Specifically I am interested in Fuji, Giant, and Trek bikes. What do you know about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A Trek 1000 would be a very good choice, seem to be very popular in Triathlons. Had one myself and very happy with it, light and nippy. More than 500 but you might be lucky in a sale/second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Is the Trek 1.2 the 2008 version of the Trek 1000 or Trek 1200 or something?

Can't see the Trek 1000 or 1200 in the '08 catalogue.

Trek 1.2 is going for about 700 euro, which I think was about the price of the 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Fuji are sold at The Bike Rack and because they're less well known you may get more for you're money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20584

A little over your budget but...Probably the best deal you will find. Free shipping + next day delivery.

This is a great deal - a friend of mine who has just started tri's bought one - Carbon fork, full tiagra groupset and sub 10kg. It is pretty responsive and overall great value for money..

I would advise pushing the boat out a liittle more than a trek 100 , scr4 or similar - They are solid bikes (I currently have the scr4 as a training machine)but trust me you WILL want to upgrade within 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Clum wrote:
    Is the Trek 1.2 the 2008 version of the Trek 1000 or Trek 1200 or something?

Can't see the Trek 1000 or 1200 in the '08 catalogue.

Trek 1.2 is going for about 700 euro, which I think was about the price of the 1000.

yes the trek 1000 is finished, but you could pick up maybe a 06/07 trek 1000 for
    about €600

TBH the new trek's look crap (except the new madone's) the trek 1.2 is the replacement of the 1000 and it has a lower end groupset than the 1000
    Sora instead of tiagra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

have you considered spd pedals, shoes, helmet, clothing, cages, bottles, decent tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 willis_duke

yes I've thought about all these items/upgrades/necessary components, but certainly not an expert on them. basically i want shimano gears/shifters and a well made aluminum frame.
    Now pardon this american for a few minutes while he goes to find out the conversion between euros and dollars...:confused:...ah about 1.5 dollars to the euro. got it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

The Scr4 is a much better bike than the ocr 4 it has the same frame as the Scr 1 which sell at more than double the price. The finishing kit is also better than the old model, drivetrain, wheels etc.
    Eagle is right about the Trek 1.2 and 1.5 lower spec higher price :mad:
    Rob

• Advertisement

Rob, what's the weight of the SCR4? The Giant website doesn't seem to say.
    Wheelworx wrote:
    The Scr4 is a much better bike than the ocr 4 it has the same frame as the Scr 1 which sell at more than double the price. The finishing kit is also better than the old model, drivetrain, wheels etc.
    Eagle is right about the Trek 1.2 and 1.5 lower spec higher price :mad:
    Rob

Dont actually know, I would guess around the 10.5kg mark. I must get a wee scales in the shop but am afraid that if my wife finds out I am going as far as weighing components she will finally put me in the shed................
    Rob

If she does, make sure you bring your turbo trainer.
    Wheelworx wrote:
    Dont actually know, I would guess around the 10.5kg mark. I must get a wee scales in the shop but am afraid that if my wife finds out I am going as far as weighing components she will finally put me in the shed................
    Rob

ha ha, good point

Chain Reaction too:

BeOne Briza, Sora @ £350

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

willis_duke - check your pm's

Advertisement