Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Timing Out

Options
  • 25-09-2007 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

During the past while, I'm getting an annoying problem whereby my internet connection would "time out", pausing my downloads, or stopping my internet pages from loading. The puzzling thing is that mIRC would continue to work sometimes, and I'd be able to ping google.com, even though my downloads would time out. I've done a "netsh winsock reset catalog".

Now, since this has been happening, I've gotten a different router, but as another machine is able to browse the internet when I can't, I don't think its the (Netopia 3347w) router, which leads me to believe it may be my network card. The network card is an inbuilt nVidia job, so would getting a PCI ethernet card solve the problem?

As a temporary fix, doing a "ipconfig /release" and a "ipconfig /renew" sometimes fixes it, but usually having to restart the PC to enable it to work again.

Any sugestions would be cool. I'm using 64bit XP, if that helps. Happens with or without the service pack, and I've done a clean reinstall of the XP install, but to no effect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

the_syco wrote:
    During the past while, I'm getting an annoying problem whereby my internet connection would "time out", pausing my downloads, or stopping my internet pages from loading. The puzzling thing is that mIRC would continue to work sometimes, and I'd be able to ping google.com, even though my downloads would time out. I've done a "netsh winsock reset catalog".

Now, since this has been happening, I've gotten a different router, but as another machine is able to browse the internet when I can't, I don't think its the (Netopia 3347w) router, which leads me to believe it may be my network card. The network card is an inbuilt nVidia job, so would getting a PCI ethernet card solve the problem?

As a temporary fix, doing a "ipconfig /release" and a "ipconfig /renew" sometimes fixes it, but usually having to restart the PC to enable it to work again.

Any sugestions would be cool. I'm using 64bit XP, if that helps. Happens with or without the service pack, and I've done a clean reinstall of the XP install, but to no effect.

Hey syco,

I'm having the same problem - Can you tell me how you do the "ipconfig /release" and a "ipconfig /renew" fix? is it just typed into the run command within windows?!

Are you with EsatBT? I've heard a rumour that this month they are knocking off any over-cap customers till the end of this month (sept!) So it appears the bb is just timing out... Could be bull - but a mate told me BT said it to him - he was experiencing the same time-outs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sure. Eh, click Start, then Run, and type CMD. Once you get into the Command Prompt (a black box should appear on the screen), type in the
    ipconfig /release
    and then
    ipconfig /renew

Before that, though, try
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    whilst in the command prompt. You'll need to restart the PC afterwards the netsh command.

=-=

On Eircom.

Advertisement