Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothetical question re. mobile broadband

Options
  • 25-09-2007 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

Let's say everyone who's signed up for Three's mobile fraudband managed to get out of their contracts and instead joined up with Vodafone or O2. Would the sheer numbers grind their networks to a halt?

Because this is a hypothetical question, I'm leaving out trifling matters like coverage, cost, download limits etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I would think they would. When 3G first came out I was one of the first people on the waiting list. It run beautifully for a few weeks, then all the issues began. That being said I know of a dozen or more people who got it after me, and there was even a longer waiting list after the released it because they couldn't keep units in stock.

I would think if any provider brought on that many new users it would cause similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The others may have better infrastructure and better backhaul from the mast. Both have been sort of doing ISP stuff since before 3 existed. Some of us used to use GSM phones as 14.4kbps modems, or even GSM modems (or some phones/modems could do 28.8 by using two "slots").

Some of 3's issues are nothing to do with capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Good question - I've been looking at trying either Vodafone or O2

It looks like, in my area, O2 has better coverage but they're the most expensive.

Of those people who've left 3 (like me), who did you go to ?

Advertisement