Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1week holiday/March/where?

• 25-09-2007 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hey all,

Had a thread awhile back debating Thailand or Egypt in March for three weeks. I went ahead and provisionally booked Thailand only to be told I cant get the time off work in March cos Im in charge of a big job thats scheduled for then.

I am hoping to take one week though, around 16th March. It will be just myself and the GF(who doesnt dive) so it will have to be a compromise holiday. Egypt intially springs to mind, Sharm el Sheikh or here maybe http://www.omara-travel.com/clubmed/village.html?index=21.

Im just wondering what other options is there. Obviously with it being March I am bit limited cos I want the sun, so Canaries is there, but was over last April so wouldnt mind somewhere else.

What about Morrocco, Cyprus or Turkey?

Basically im looking to go on a package holiday, and stay in a resort with a PADI dive centre to do my AOWD and some good dive sites!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

never been there but ive heard diving in malta is ment to be pretty good

might be worth a look into it

sorry im kinda vague... but its your only reply so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

walshy123 wrote:
    Hey all,

I am hoping to take one week though, around 16th March. It will be just myself and the GF(who doesnt dive) so it will have to be a compromise holiday. Egypt intially springs to mind,

What about Morrocco, Cyprus or Turkey?

Basically im looking to go on a package holiday, and stay in a resort with a PADI dive centre to do my AOWD and some good dive sites!

Unless the GF loves being on her own on the beach, I would say egypt is right out. You need somewhere where she'll have plenty on non diving things to do.

IIRC AOW will require at least 2 days, plus any random dives you want too. It's a lot out of a 7 day trip, to leave her on her own.

Just my thoughts on the balancing act that is a diving holiday with a non diving GF - been there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

The AOW is 5 dives, so it would be over 2-3 days, plus theory. You could always do the course here first to give yourself more pleasure diving time there...
    I'd recommend Malta or Gozo (small island just north of Malta), some cracking dive sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

cheers guys. weather in malta wouldnt be fantastic in march would it.

the GF would be in her element on the beach! ha ha. i've been looking into it more and if i go to egypt with budget, u dont arrive until midnight, and u depart at 9am on return leg. so u only actually get 6 days. its 2 days for the course so that would give me four days. one day to the pyramids and im left with 3. seems alot of runnin around. plus its an eight hour flight. workin out at 750 for the week B&B in a pretty savage hotel.

alternatively im thinking furetaventura. but ive been to gran canaria countless times and kinda want something different. plus everything will be cheaper in egypt.

Im kinda leaning towards egypt despite all of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

If you pick Egypt for such a short time you will not get to see the Pyramids. The distance is too great to get from Sharm to Cairo conveniently.

That time of year there is a constant wind blowing and your GF wouldn't be long getting cold on any beach.

If you want the Red Sea I would suggest going to Jordan, where you have a great choice of itineraries - Dead Sea/Jerash/Wadi Rum/Petra - to fill in non-diving days. You will still be able to get an OW course in Aqaba, and the above places are within easy reach.

Plus, Jordan is easy diving, mostly done from the shore. Hardly any currents, and the climate will be kinder than the wide-open Sinai peninsula.

If you like a good Chinese restaurant that will have a variety of good food, then ask for it in Aqaba - up the hill, left at the traffic lights, walk 100m, cross the road and it's upstairs. Very broad directions there, but you will find it.

There are three main scuba outfits in Aqaba, Seastar, Royal Diving, and Dive Aqaba. Google them and see what you think.

Enjoy, what ever you decide.

Seadeuce

• Advertisement

cheers for the informative reply seaduce. couple of q's for ya:

1. is it not possible to fly from sharm to see the pyramids?
    2. wats life outside diving like in jordan? (what will the GF do?)
    3. gettin to jordan.... is there flights from dublin.
    4. the windy issue could be solved by staying at the hotel pool i guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

seadeuce wrote: »
    If you pick Egypt for such a short time you will not get to see the Pyramids. The distance is too great to get from Sharm to Cairo conveniently.

That time of year there is a constant wind blowing and your GF wouldn't be long getting cold on any beach.

If you want the Red Sea I would suggest going to Jordan, where you have a great choice of itineraries - Dead Sea/Jerash/Wadi Rum/Petra - to fill in non-diving days. You will still be able to get an OW course in Aqaba, and the above places are within easy reach.

Plus, Jordan is easy diving, mostly done from the shore. Hardly any currents, and the climate will be kinder than the wide-open Sinai peninsula.

If you like a good Chinese restaurant that will have a variety of good food, then ask for it in Aqaba - up the hill, left at the traffic lights, walk 100m, cross the road and it's upstairs. Very broad directions there, but you will find it.

There are three main scuba outfits in Aqaba, Seastar, Royal Diving, and Dive Aqaba. Google them and see what you think.

Enjoy, what ever you decide.

Seadeuce

I think the same would apply for Eilat in Israel (it's a stones throw from Aqaba), although I havent dived there myself it is a nice tourist resort and you can do similar day trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

1. is it not possible to fly from sharm to see the pyramids?

Probably is, but if you want to do that why not do a circle?
    Dublin-Cairo-Sharm-Dublin. Or would you miss the travel package??

2. wats life outside diving like in jordan? (what will the GF do?)

Don't know your GF's interests, but she would have plenty of sun on the excursions I mentioned in my OP. Very little nightlife in Jordan - I was only thinking of the days!

3. gettin to jordan.... is there flights from dublin.

Yes, but they will cost you more than say, if you go to London and hop a Jordanair flight.

4. the windy issue could be solved by staying at the hotel pool i guess?

Probably, but a crowded poolside might not be the best place to pass a trip to the Middle East for your GF. Some of the males over there are obnoxious, and the balance queers!!
    IMO better to be on the move, see the sights, and avoid that kind of person. I am not exaggerating here.

However, as they say - YMMD - your mileage may differ.

Bottom line - from Sharm you can easily go to Mt. Sinai and St. Katherine's Monastery, (wanna be up early!). Up the road to Dahab for Bedouin village/lovely diving/snorkelling, less crowds. Ride a camel.

Later in March you go the better.

Bon voyage,

Seadeuce

ok egypt is now sold out for the week in question.

im not usually a fan of the package holiday but after tryin to install some culture in the holiday on a mini road trip last year........i really dont have the energy to go off the beaten track with her again!!!

so im thinking package holiday.

lanzarote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

walshy123 wrote: »
    ok egypt is now sold out for the week in question.

im not usually a fan of the package holiday but after tryin to install some culture in the holiday on a mini road trip last year........i really dont have the energy to go off the beaten track with her again!!!

so im thinking package holiday.

lanzarote?

You have probably got this booked now, but I have booked two weeks in Sharm booked in April with Falcon holidays. it was quite cheap too.

We are staying at a family resort so there will be lots for the family to do while I'm blowing bubbles:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 RogerViking

this time of year give david and nicky carson a call in tenerife the water never drops below 19c and its nice and relaxed.
    http://www.dive24-7tenerife.com/

there irish and will cater for rebreather or techies too.

Advertisement