Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cop Shot!

• 25-09-2007 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get word on this yet?.

Apparently a traffic cop (on a motorcycle) stopped a car on Ossary Road (Eastwall/Northstrand Dublin) and was shot by a passenger.

I've no word on the severity of injuries, but do motorcycle cops wear a vest like the other guys?.

And in this present climate is it time to arm the cops?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

There is no details on his injuries on breakingnews.ie yet. I hope he's okay. Thos vests only block stabbings, as far as I know, and would do no good against a gun shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Here you go

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

That's terrible, but at least he's in a stable condition in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He is now thought to be in a stable condition in Mater Hospital after being shot in the stomach area at close range.

Thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Wacker wrote:
    There is no details on his injuries on breakingnews.ie yet. I hope he's okay. Thos vests only block stabbings, as far as I know, and would do no good against a gun shot.

He was on a motorbike

Not sure if they wear those vests on the bikes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Mairt wrote:
    Anyone get word on this yet?.

Apparently a traffic cop (on a motorcycle) stopped a car on Ossary Road (Eastwall/Northstrand Dublin) and was shot by a passenger.

I've no word on the severity of injuries, but do motorcycle cops wear a vest like the other guys?.

And in this present climate is it time to arm the cops?.

Check Any news site....

Yeah - solve Gun crime by introducing Guns bright Idea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow, BBC have it up already....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7011953.stm

They say it was a shotgun :eek: But they also say it was in the chest, so pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

egan007 wrote:
    Indeed, because right now criminals are not using guns because the cops don't have them.

Just to keep things fair and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its just goes to show that the criminal scum in this country have no limits now. Its time to face the cold hard fact that Gardai need to be armed now. They need to operate on a basis that if a gun is pulled on them, they should be allowed to use lethal force if neccesary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

egan007 wrote:

<Clutchie accent> Where you anywhere around Ossary Road this morning? ¬ ¬

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

DarkJager wrote:
    Its just goes to show that the criminal scum in this country have no limits now. Its time to face the cold hard fact that Gardai need to be armed now. They need to operate on a basis that if a gun is pulled on them, they should be allowed to use lethal force if neccesary.
    Gardai have been wounded and killed by guns for the past 30 years or so, not just today. If a scumbag is backed into a corner, who knows how they will respond regardless of todays society, its been like that for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

These pricks weren't backed into a corner, they were traffic-stopped. According to RTE the car they were travelling in was stolen. I wonder what else was in it?

Then why is something not being done about it. How many more times can people use the "don't fight guns with guns" arguement? The scumbags obviously have no reservations about using them, so why should the Gardai? Here in Limerick, the situation has gotten so out of hand, that we now have ERU patrols (armed) driving around the citys trouble hotspots. AFAIK, they are on orders to incapacitate anybody seen brandishing a firearm.

If we arm the gardai, you'll very quickly start to see a decrease in scumbags playing dirty harry when they feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the thing is that we dont have a gun culture here. unlike the US most of our cops would never have handled or used handguns at all, there'd be a huge amount of training needed if we armed them. They'd be a menance to demselves and joe public if ye just start handing them out shooters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 theitking

I dont wanna sound TOTALLY unsympathetic but honestly....

Close down half the city because a gard got wounded!?!?!?!

I along with thousands of others sat in GRIDLOCK for over 90minutes thismorning while the guards examimined what was left of a crimescene. Eventually i gave up and turned around to go back home (facing even more traffic!!!)

If the garda had been shot dead i would understand totally closure but he's STABLE. If this was a member of the public a small dirvertion would be put in place..... but noooooooooooooo for a garda 'lets close half the city'

This morning i've been talking to people who have missed hospital appointments after been on waiting lists for MONTHS. People who have recieved warnings in work for being late. Students who missed their first leactures of the year. People who missed job interviews.

Bloody Stupid. Call me what ya want but i know there is a million other people sitting on the coast road right now who will agree half of Dublins northside should not have been closed over this incident!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

They need the system they used in the North and other places , couple of lads in the hard shoulder with decent weapons.

theitking wrote:

I along with thousands of others sat in GRIDLOCK for over 90minutes thismorning while the guards examimined what was left of a crimescene. Eventually i gave up and turned around to go back home (facing even more traffic!!!)

If the garda had been shot dead i would understand totally closure but he's STABLE. If this was a member of the public a small dirvertion would be put in place..... but noooooooooooooo for a garda 'lets close half the city'

This morning i've been talking to people who have missed hospital appointments after been on waiting lists for MONTHS. People who have recieved warnings in work for being late. Students who missed their first leactures of the year. People who missed job interviews.

Bloody Stupid. Call me what ya want but i know there is a million other people sitting on the coast road right now who will agree half of Dublins northside should not have been closed over this incident!!!

You're an example of what is wrong with todays Ireland. Its all me,me,me and people don't seem to give a **** about what happens. Imagine that the garda that was shot was a relative of yours, or even a family member. I'm sure you'd be pretty pissed off about someone whinging cause they got stuck in traffic because of it. Boo hoo, people were late for work, missed lectures..What does that matter? Grow up and realise that the world doesn't revolve around you and that sh1t happens..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Should the title not read 'Garda shot'?

Didn't know we had 'cops' here.

• Advertisement

Well if your in a stolen motor with a shotgun, you know your going down for a stretch, hence shoot the Garda or be arrested. What I'm saying is it doesn't make a difference that its todays scumbag who did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just came through the north strand a few mins ago, the place is swarming with garda, i hope the chap is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

theitking wrote:

An attack on a Garda is an attack on the law and order of the State. You have to investigate and punish this offence more vigourously, or the backslide will happen and it will quickly get out of control. That's why there is an increased penalty in law for assaulting a Garda than a normal civilian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

that is a stupid statement! if a member of the public was shot the same traffic restrictions wud be put in place.they have to examine the scene in order to get these a**holes. if they dont gather evidence some hot shot lawyer will get them off on a technicality.
    poor you sitting in 90 mins of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BBC are calling Ossory Road and the North Strand Dublin's 'financial district'.

rofl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DesF wrote:
    BBC are calling Ossory Road and the North Strand Dublin's 'financial district'.

rofl.

When I sold my house in East Wall I called it that too :p

Kernel wrote:
    An attack on a Garda is an attack on the law and order of the State. You have to investigate and punish this offence more vigourously, or the backslide will happen and it will quickly get out of control. That's why there is an increased penalty in law for assaulting a Garda than a normal civilian.

Dont think i could disagree with you more. I dont care if its Bertie Ahern himself or a Civilian all shootings should be treated the same. I never said i felt noting should be done, but clontarf was swarming with garda..... and how many were directing traffic - ZERO!!!

The all stood around have a bloody gossip looking at the traffic like the useless excuses for 'Traffic corps' officers they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

theitking wrote:

Ah get off the stage, that's pure selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

something to do with a post office robbery on the north strand road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

theitking wrote:

OH NOES! heaven forfend that you should be inconvenienced by something so trivial as an attempted murder, in broad daylight, in the middle of the city :rolleyes:

Yes, its time to arm the cops. Seriously, scumbags like this know that all they have to do is ull a gun on a cop and bingo, they have the upper hand already. The thugs have the weapons and arent afraid to use them, so why shouldnt the cops be able to respond in kind?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBC have it in "Nortern Ireland" news.. Either put in a "Republic" section or just call it "Ireland".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

theitking wrote:

How wrong you are. It's not just that individual Garda at stake. It is our entire society being fu(ked sideways by the criminal dreggs. No reaction to this act is OTT.

Missing a hospital appointment? Was it for a gunshot wound or something less immediate?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

DarkJager wrote:

Yea, I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Kernel wrote:
    Don't give that man a gun! ;)

Agree with the statement though. The Garda represent more than the individual. They represent the state and an attack on our state is an attack on all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

theitking wrote:

students missed lectures?

:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):)

aye, god love them

• Advertisement

prendy wrote:
    that is a stupid statement! if a member of the public was shot the same traffic restrictions wud be put in place.they have to examine the scene in order to get these a**holes. if they dont gather evidence some hot shot lawyer will get them off on a technicality.
    poor you sitting in 90 mins of traffic.

Wake up, I live in Ayrfield. Two shooting in the last year. Literally around the corner from my house. How much road was closed? About 200 yards!
    Literally the closed off the CRIMESCEAN...... not every street around it too.

Same goes for when that mum was shot up the road in Coolock a few months ago.... again the crimescean was scealed off.

If the road closures were to try catch the people would american style roadblocks not make mroe sense. Such as armed checkpoints!?!

Let traffic move and filter through all the public?
    Nope insead make everyone (including possibly the gun man) sit for over two hours then let it all free flow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

DarkJager wrote:
    If we arm the gardai, you'll very quickly start to see a decrease in scumbags playing dirty harry when they feel like it.

Yeah cos that's the way it is in the US, the cops there are armed and the crooks there don't shoot anybody anymore...oh, wait, that's not the case at all, I must be talking through my arse like some other people here...not pointing any fingers or anything... ;)

That's not to say that I don't agree with some of your points...this is an attack on the State and something needs to be done...not sure that arming every Garda in the country is the best idea though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There are two Gardai in Limerick in hospital this morning too. They were following a stolen car in O' Malley Park, and the scumbags rammed the cop car.

murphaph wrote:
    How wrong you are. It's not just that individual Garda at stake. It is our entire society being fu(ked sideways by the criminal dreggs. No reaction to this act is OTT.

Missing a hospital appointment? Was it for a gunshot wound or something less immediate?

Try maybe cancer threatmeant! People WAIT MONTHS on waiting lists to see consultants. Example, my grandfather died about 2 months ago from an un-diagnosed lump on his lower back which ended up being cancer. Waiting list in the hospital was 8 months to get it checked. His apointment would have been for two weeks from now. A little late eh?

Anyone who disagress that this incident couldnt have been handled better i bet have been sitting in work from bang on 9am sharp :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

bushy... wrote:
    They need the system they used in the North and other places , couple of lads in the hard shoulder with decent weapons.

What ?

I don't get you

I say arm the Gardai. The cops here are armed and always will be.

A scumbag with a firearm should not turn a cop into a defenceless entity.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote:
    There are two Gardai in Limerick in hospital this morning too. They were following a stolen car in O' Malley Park, and the scumbags rammed the cop car.

Point proven. This needs to be dealt with immediately and harshly before these scum start getting ideas that they are invincible to the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

egan007 wrote:

I think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sully wrote:
    BBC have it in "Nortern Ireland" news.. Either put in a "Republic" section or just call it "Ireland".

Its there cause we worry about you guys down south more than the engilsh :)

Give a garda a gun!?!?!?

As it is every teenager they arrest gets special threatment in the back of the transit van OR dies in custody...... and thats with there fists.

I'd trust someone outta mount joy with a handgun more than a would a member of the guards. (MAYBE an overstatment lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I would commend the Guarda Responce.

However I recommend that they shut down the City in the same Manner everytime someone gets shot. ( so what if you are late for a job you hate)

If your chances of getting caught went up dramatically they you may be less likely to shoot somebody, Right now you have little chance of being caught.. Shooting back is always the last option.

Theitking, you really seem to enjoy talking out of your arse. How can you throw out completely baseless and random facts about "special treatment"? Have you experienced it yourself or are you working off rumours you hear?

Yeah cos that's the way it is in the US, the cops there are armed and the crooks there don't shoot anybody anymore...oh, wait, that's not the case at all, I must be talking through my arse like some other people here...not pointing any fingers or anything... ;)

so what, cos it happens in one country, it will happen over here?

in italy, the Carabinieri are armed, how many shootings are there over there?
    in australia, the Western Australia Police are armed, how many shootings are there over there?

the simple fact is, criminals have shown they are not afraid anymore. they will use guns in robberys. They will shoot unarmed gardai. They will kill innocent civilians.

perhaps its time to put some fear into them

theitking wrote:
    Try maybe cancer threatmeant! People WAIT MONTHS on waiting lists to see consultants. Example, my grandfather died about 2 months ago from an un-diagnosed lump on his lower back which ended up being cancer. Waiting list in the hospital was 8 months to get it checked. His apointment would have been for two weeks from now. A little late eh?

and this is the gardai's fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm not necessarily saying the garda should be armed (because I haven't thought it all through yet) but the scumbags are definitely becoming more brazen and couldn't give a sh1t about the Garda. I was on the 17A yesterday and two skangers from Finglas were openly talking (in their barely decipherable accents) about robbing cars, ramming police cars and then one asks the other if he was cornered by the police and he had a gun, would he use it? "If it was a shotgun, yeah, I'd blast them in their fookin face"

Could be the same fukkers today for all I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

My proposal to outsource the hardened elements in the prison system to south east asia still stands. Give them a dose of a real prison and see if they come out the other side sneering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement