Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cop Shot!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBC have it in "Nortern Ireland" news.. Either put in a "Republic" section or just call it "Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

theitking wrote:
    I dont wanna sound TOTALLY unsympathetic but honestly....

Close down half the city because a gard got wounded!?!?!?!

I along with thousands of others sat in GRIDLOCK for over 90minutes thismorning while the guards examimined what was left of a crimescene. Eventually i gave up and turned around to go back home (facing even more traffic!!!)

If the garda had been shot dead i would understand totally closure but he's STABLE. If this was a member of the public a small dirvertion would be put in place..... but noooooooooooooo for a garda 'lets close half the city'

This morning i've been talking to people who have missed hospital appointments after been on waiting lists for MONTHS. People who have recieved warnings in work for being late. Students who missed their first leactures of the year. People who missed job interviews.

Bloody Stupid. Call me what ya want but i know there is a million other people sitting on the coast road right now who will agree half of Dublins northside should not have been closed over this incident!!!
    How wrong you are. It's not just that individual Garda at stake. It is our entire society being fu(ked sideways by the criminal dreggs. No reaction to this act is OTT.

Missing a hospital appointment? Was it for a gunshot wound or something less immediate?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

DarkJager wrote:
    Its just goes to show that the criminal scum in this country have no limits now. Its time to face the cold hard fact that Gardai need to be armed now. They need to operate on a basis that if a gun is pulled on them, they should be allowed to use lethal force if neccesary.

Yea, I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Kernel wrote:
    An attack on a Garda is an attack on the law and order of the State. You have to investigate and punish this offence more vigourously, or the backslide will happen and it will quickly get out of control. That's why there is an increased penalty in law for assaulting a Garda than a normal civilian.
    Don't give that man a gun! ;)

Agree with the statement though. The Garda represent more than the individual. They represent the state and an attack on our state is an attack on all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

theitking wrote:

This morning i've been talking to people who have missed hospital appointments after been on waiting lists for MONTHS. People who have recieved warnings in work for being late. Students who missed their first leactures of the year. People who missed job interviews.

students missed lectures?

:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):)

aye, god love them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 theitking

prendy wrote:
    that is a stupid statement! if a member of the public was shot the same traffic restrictions wud be put in place.they have to examine the scene in order to get these a**holes. if they dont gather evidence some hot shot lawyer will get them off on a technicality.
    poor you sitting in 90 mins of traffic.

Wake up, I live in Ayrfield. Two shooting in the last year. Literally around the corner from my house. How much road was closed? About 200 yards!
    Literally the closed off the CRIMESCEAN...... not every street around it too.

Same goes for when that mum was shot up the road in Coolock a few months ago.... again the crimescean was scealed off.

If the road closures were to try catch the people would american style roadblocks not make mroe sense. Such as armed checkpoints!?!

Let traffic move and filter through all the public?
    Nope insead make everyone (including possibly the gun man) sit for over two hours then let it all free flow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

DarkJager wrote:
    If we arm the gardai, you'll very quickly start to see a decrease in scumbags playing dirty harry when they feel like it.

Yeah cos that's the way it is in the US, the cops there are armed and the crooks there don't shoot anybody anymore...oh, wait, that's not the case at all, I must be talking through my arse like some other people here...not pointing any fingers or anything... ;)

That's not to say that I don't agree with some of your points...this is an attack on the State and something needs to be done...not sure that arming every Garda in the country is the best idea though...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There are two Gardai in Limerick in hospital this morning too. They were following a stolen car in O' Malley Park, and the scumbags rammed the cop car.

murphaph wrote:
    How wrong you are. It's not just that individual Garda at stake. It is our entire society being fu(ked sideways by the criminal dreggs. No reaction to this act is OTT.

Missing a hospital appointment? Was it for a gunshot wound or something less immediate?

Try maybe cancer threatmeant! People WAIT MONTHS on waiting lists to see consultants. Example, my grandfather died about 2 months ago from an un-diagnosed lump on his lower back which ended up being cancer. Waiting list in the hospital was 8 months to get it checked. His apointment would have been for two weeks from now. A little late eh?

Anyone who disagress that this incident couldnt have been handled better i bet have been sitting in work from bang on 9am sharp :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

bushy... wrote:
    They need the system they used in the North and other places , couple of lads in the hard shoulder with decent weapons.

What ?

I don't get you

I say arm the Gardai. The cops here are armed and always will be.

A scumbag with a firearm should not turn a cop into a defenceless entity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Kess73 wrote:
    There are two Gardai in Limerick in hospital this morning too. They were following a stolen car in O' Malley Park, and the scumbags rammed the cop car.

Point proven. This needs to be dealt with immediately and harshly before these scum start getting ideas that they are invincible to the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

egan007 wrote:

Yeah - solve Gun crime by introducing Guns bright Idea....

I think so!

Sully wrote:
    BBC have it in "Nortern Ireland" news.. Either put in a "Republic" section or just call it "Ireland".

Its there cause we worry about you guys down south more than the engilsh :)

Give a garda a gun!?!?!?

As it is every teenager they arrest gets special threatment in the back of the transit van OR dies in custody...... and thats with there fists.

I'd trust someone outta mount joy with a handgun more than a would a member of the guards. (MAYBE an overstatment lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I would commend the Guarda Responce.

However I recommend that they shut down the City in the same Manner everytime someone gets shot. ( so what if you are late for a job you hate)

If your chances of getting caught went up dramatically they you may be less likely to shoot somebody, Right now you have little chance of being caught.. Shooting back is always the last option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Theitking, you really seem to enjoy talking out of your arse. How can you throw out completely baseless and random facts about "special treatment"? Have you experienced it yourself or are you working off rumours you hear?

Yeah cos that's the way it is in the US, the cops there are armed and the crooks there don't shoot anybody anymore...oh, wait, that's not the case at all, I must be talking through my arse like some other people here...not pointing any fingers or anything... ;)

so what, cos it happens in one country, it will happen over here?

in italy, the Carabinieri are armed, how many shootings are there over there?
    in australia, the Western Australia Police are armed, how many shootings are there over there?

the simple fact is, criminals have shown they are not afraid anymore. they will use guns in robberys. They will shoot unarmed gardai. They will kill innocent civilians.

perhaps its time to put some fear into them

theitking wrote:
    Try maybe cancer threatmeant! People WAIT MONTHS on waiting lists to see consultants. Example, my grandfather died about 2 months ago from an un-diagnosed lump on his lower back which ended up being cancer. Waiting list in the hospital was 8 months to get it checked. His apointment would have been for two weeks from now. A little late eh?

and this is the gardai's fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm not necessarily saying the garda should be armed (because I haven't thought it all through yet) but the scumbags are definitely becoming more brazen and couldn't give a sh1t about the Garda. I was on the 17A yesterday and two skangers from Finglas were openly talking (in their barely decipherable accents) about robbing cars, ramming police cars and then one asks the other if he was cornered by the police and he had a gun, would he use it? "If it was a shotgun, yeah, I'd blast them in their fookin face"

Could be the same fukkers today for all I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

My proposal to outsource the hardened elements in the prison system to south east asia still stands. Give them a dose of a real prison and see if they come out the other side sneering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

theitking wrote:
    As it is every teenager they arrest gets special threatment in the back of the transit van OR dies in custody...... and thats with there fists.

Seriously, cop on. Every teenager yeah?

I've never seen anyone as upset after sitting in 90 minutes of traffic. You mustn't use the M50 much so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

theitking wrote:
    Give a garda a gun!?!?!?

I'd trust someone outta mount joy with a handgun more than a would a member of the guards. (MAYBE an overstatment lol)

Maybe an overstatement? I would suggest you make either valid points or non at all. Threads about law enforcement are bad enough with exaggerating points just to get a reaction.

As for the whole "every teenager" thing? Sure, the bodies are piling up in the streets mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

would this scenario played out any differently had the motorcycle gardai been armed? I dont think so...

afaik gardai themselves are, or at least were, against being armed. It puts them at a greater risk of both gun crime, and crimes specifcally to obtain the garda's firearm (kidnappings, muggings, extorsion etc). There is also the moral problem of gardai being asked to take peoples lives, which I dont think any of them counted on when they originally signed up.

I'd foresee alot of gardai retiring tbh

((un)fortunately the ranks would be bolstered by crazys wanting to play dirty harry/walter mitty, people who previously wouldnt have considered becoming a garda)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Regards the handling of this incident. Its plainly obvious that most people here don't know Ossary Road.

But if there was a two vehicle crash here at morning rush hour it would mess up the whole 'strand, Fairview, Clontarf & East Wall road area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wossack wrote:
    I'd foresee alot of gardai retiring tbh

Then your talents would be better served over on the Paranormal forum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Mairt wrote:
    <Clutchie accent> Where you anywhere around Ossary Road this morning? ¬ ¬

If you are going to sneer at people from outside the pale, at least try and get the spelling correct. Wtf is a Clutchie??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I say have an armed militia who shoot scumbags dead whenever they come across them.The cops know who these pricks are,thier hands are tied by the laws which give scum more rights than they deserve.

Wossack wrote:
    would this scenario played out any differently had the motorcycle gardai been armed? I dont think so...

perhaps it never would have occured

the knowledge that they could be shot themselves might be enough to deter them from shooting first

gyppo wrote:
    If you are going to sneer at people from outside the pale, at least try and get the spelling correct. Wtf is a Clutchie??

Its what you press before changing the gearie

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote:
    I say have an armed militia who shoot scumbags dead whenever they come across them.The cops know who these pricks are,thier hands are tied by the laws which give scum more rights than they deserve.

Belfast has a few of these groups ,, you wouldn't like them

Advertisement