Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CPU and Graphics Card

Options
  • 25-09-2007 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

I'm planning on upgrading my Athlon 64 2800+ to an Athlon 64 4000+ 2.6 Ghz. Will the fan on the old CPU still work ok with the new one?

Also purchasing MSI Geforce 7800GT, im not sure of the wattage of my PSU ill have to check when I get home at the weekend, but are these cards particularly power hungry?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The new cpu is not a OEM will come with a new fan. If not you can pick up a srtic freezer 7 from maplins of peats for 20€. As for the graphics cards its hard to say without knowing what psu you have. But anything over 400w will handle it easy, as long as your not running 10+ hdds in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

Just the one HD. The PSU is probly 400w, bought the PC 3 years ago so i'm not sure, have the info at home.

About the CPU, im buying the CPU off ebay and I dont think it's coming with a fan. I can just install my old fan over the new one yeah?

I dont think the old fan will work to be honest. As the new ones use heatpipes and your old one is just a simple aluminium block with a 60/70mm fan ontop of it.

This:

http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/43/products_id/394

Will probably be your best bet. Its completly silent and will cool the cpu mush better then the stock AMD cooler.

Hang on a minute, you own this shop dont you?! You're just trying to squeeze some cash out of me! **paranoia** :)

I'll order it to be on the safe side!
    Thanks for your help.

heh ;) no probs.

• Advertisement

The PSU is 350W.. will this work?

it might. But 400w would be the lowest i would go with. and 500w would be a safe bet. and would also futureproof your machine for some upgrades in the future

I've gone and ordered a 500W from komplett. That should be everything sorted now so!

Thanks

Advertisement