Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Alloys - Donegal Provider??

• 25-09-2007 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi, im looking into buying alloys for my Toyota Celica, 1.8 VVTi 2000. The ones i have currently are faulty and are corroding under the laquer. They're not covered under the warrently which is maddening because its an impurity thats causing it! but anyway! I went to a garage yesterday about getting them sandblasted and sprayed back up but he said they were gone so bad that it'd be the same price to replace them. He mentioned some place in Donegal that has a full page ad in the Autotrader every issue, apparently they're great value and deliver for free. You just contact them & they send a brochure. So of course i forgot the name of the place and only remember that detail. Any chance anyone knows the place he was on about? Or otherwise do ye know somewhere i could get 17" alloys for a reasonable price, i wanna stay around the 500quid mark for all 4. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Refurb would cost a lot less than €500 surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

This is going back about 10 years

But the ole lad , got his alloys repaired (one was cracked and chipped) in Letterkenny by a guy out in oldtown.

Dont remember his name or contact details but at the time the cost was only 15punts per alloy.

but it might be a starting point if you rang a garage from oldtown in letterkenny they'd prob know him.

The only thing with getting them done is that they tend to look great for the first year or two but after that the lacker comes off and the alloys tend to get flakey.

Daz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sorry i don't have a name but theres a place in Quigleys point (between Muff & Redcastle) thats sells alloys wheels & also repairs them. Its on the corner when you turn off if heading for Carndonagh if thats help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Thanks for the comments guys. When the mechanic looked at them he said it would be around 500quid for repair so id replace for that price, the price was due to the extent of the damage. He said he'd never seen damage like that before. Its not really like scrapes or dents or anything like that where its damage from the outside inwards, its a bubbling under the surface of the laquer, so like they're rusting from the inside out, if you get me. Its a fault of the alloys, im guessing an impurity of the metal alloy. They would be replaced if the car was still under the warrenty but the guy who owned it before me didn't get it looked at until the warrenty was up. His friend had the same problem but got the car to Toyota before the warrenty was up and they replaced them no probs. So i guess the main point the mechanic made to me was that if its a fault of the actual alloys then if they blasted them down etc that they could get them looking fine but the damage could start again pretty soon afterwards. So hence the reason why i want to replace them. I guess ill just have to buy a copy of Autotrader & figure out where this place is but i just wanted to know if anyone knew of anywhere as cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Try CCCP (Carrigans car & commercial parts) in Carrigans. You can't miss them if you go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

RyanAsh wrote:
    Its not really like scrapes or dents or anything like that where its damage from the outside inwards, its a bubbling under the surface of the laquer, so like they're rusting from the inside out, if you get me. Its a fault of the alloys, im guessing an impurity of the metal alloy. They would be replaced if the car was still under the warrenty but the guy who owned it before me didn't get it looked at until the warrenty was up

Just wondering, are they 18" VW GTi wheels? Have heard about them sometimes bubbling under the surface of the laquer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

No im afraid not, they're 17" Toyota Celica alloys, came with the car, 2000 model. It sounds like the same flaw though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

callaghans in burt ...big wheel suppliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 del-bhoy

RyanAsh wrote: »
    Hi, im looking into buying alloys for my Toyota Celica, 1.8 VVTi 2000. The ones i have currently are faulty and are corroding under the laquer. They're not covered under the warrently which is maddening because its an impurity thats causing it! but anyway! I went to a garage yesterday about getting them sandblasted and sprayed back up but he said they were gone so bad that it'd be the same price to replace them. He mentioned some place in Donegal that has a full page ad in the Autotrader every issue, apparently they're great value and deliver for free. You just contact them & they send a brochure. So of course i forgot the name of the place and only remember that detail. Any chance anyone knows the place he was on about? Or otherwise do ye know somewhere i could get 17" alloys for a reasonable price, i wanna stay around the 500quid mark for all 4. Thanks!
    Have a look at this place, am am going to give them a ring myself
    only 60 euro a wheel
    http://www.northcoastclassics.ie/wheels.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

del-bhoy wrote: »
    Have a look at this place, am am going to give them a ring myself
    only 60 euro a wheel
    http://www.northcoastclassics.ie/wheels.html

you do know that the OP asked this question in September 2007, i would be pretty sure he has it sorted by now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 del-bhoy

God you have time on your hands, I was actually just browsing the net for alloy wheel repair and spotted this post and since i have spent quite some time researching this topic in the last few weeks i thought the next person that googled it would find the reply. its called being helpful and constructive

Advertisement