Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking on the centre road

Options
  • 25-09-2007 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

can the garda do something about cars parked on the center road? the front of the estate looks horrible with cars parked on the footpaths and on bicycle paths. I thought that it was illegal to park there. can someone from the residential association tell me what can be done because it looks like we have people in the estate who can do whatever they want. their might not be enough car park spaces but that doesnt mean that people can be ignorant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Not sure if the gards can do anything but I must say, the cars parked at the crossing for pedestrians blocks the view of both kids/people crossing and also people in cars driving along. I know there's an issue with speeding but when you add up all the numbers you'll be left with less lives. One accident/fatality will sort the issue out but perhaps we can prevent it before such does happen.

I propose sending a letter (I'll write it) to the main Charlesland Management Company, c/o my own management company (the wood), outlining this is a problem and anyone who wishes to sign it can let me know here. Sure, we can meet up for a drink and sign it then!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Basil Brush

a few people keep parking on the path (a white van being the most notable one) on the grove/park side as you walk up to the cresent. is very annoying - pedestrians are being forced onto the road. was on crutches there not so long ago and had to hobble out onto the road - i pity anybody with a buggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

It's very hazardous, somebody could easily accidentally on purpose scrape their key along the side of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

unfortunatly no.

this is an ongoing issue with the overall committee and zapi. we have requested traffic/parking safety surveys etc etc.

unfortunatly as well, if you take the cars parked off the spine road, they will move into the estates and start parking in other peoples spots and outside houses etc.

@gegerty: not so funny, comments like that aren't needed.

Matt, do you have an update on this. I feel these things never get followed up on. I would like to head the offence but if work has been completed to date then it'd be best to continue with that. Any idea who is dealing with it?

• Advertisement

Don Delaney would be your best man, but unfortunatly we're locked between a rock and a hard place. the survey has apperently been done but afaik we can't get access to it...

don't worry its not being overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

unfortunatly no.

this is an ongoing issue with the overall committee and zapi. we have requested traffic/parking safety surveys etc etc.

unfortunatly as well, if you take the cars parked off the spine road, they will move into the estates and start parking in other peoples spots and outside houses etc.

@gegerty: not so funny, comments like that aren't needed.
    No they wont matt they will actually move into the spaces allocated to them -perform a simple exercise and take a walk behind the duplexes after 9 at night on a weekday and you wont need a survey to show you whats going on count the no. of empty spaces behind the duplexes and then count the no of cars parked on the spine road divide one into the other and you should come up with 0.Showin that car owners on the Wood and Court side where the problem is most prevelant are just too damn lasy to park their cars where they should be and take a little walk each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

I think you need to look again as, apart from the 4 bed duplex, each property has 1 allocated parking space with a few extra visitor spaces. This may have been enough 25 years ago but not now.

ok woodser, what ever you say, but i think you should count the amount of cars on the spine road, and then count the amount of available parking spaces and come back to me before you say things like that.

there's 1 space per dublex/apartment. they're allocated. get your facts right before making sweeping statements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Woodser, I think what you're trying to say is that there are the same number of cars on the spine road as parking spaces. If you were to divide in such a manner the answer would be 1, not 0... The only way to get 0 is to divide 0 by any other number.

Now that that's out of the way, I disagree with your assertion. In the first phase of the Wood there are, most evenings, up to 6 cars parked (illegally) on the cycle lane on the spine road. A quick look at the car parking available to those apartments will tell you that all of the allocated spaces are full, with cars parked on the road accessing those spaces and across the wheelchair/buggy ramps (also illegal).

It is obvious that there is not enough parking, however it doesn't justify the irresponsible and illegal manner in which some residents park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its bad design on the wood\court side. All the 2 bed apartments have front doors facing directly onto the main road - people naturally enough want to park outside their front doors.

On the other side the front doors face the other way (and there seems to be more parking space anyway) and there is virtually no-one parking on the spine road.

From what I can see in the Wood the allocated spaces do have a mix of single and 2 spaces...I find where you have any unit there will always be two cars. There is one 3 bed on the first row that has three cars and only one allocated space. I'm hoping that with a little enforcement we'll have safer footpaths and roads. Yesterday I saw a car parked in the left lane right on the roundabout yeild road marking on the Wood side of the spine road. People intending to make a left turn or go striaght on are required to use an incorrect lane. To be honest, the place is a mess.

astrofluff wrote:
    From what I can see in the Wood the allocated spaces do have a mix of single and 2 spaces...I find where you have any unit there will always be two cars. There is one 3 bed on the first row that has three cars and only one allocated space. I'm hoping that with a little enforcement we'll have safer footpaths and roads. Yesterday I saw a car parked in the left lane right on the roundabout yeild road marking on the Wood side of the spine road. People intending to make a left turn or go striaght on are required to use an incorrect lane. To be honest, the place is a mess.
    Not to mention the Tractor unit of an articulated lorry that was parked outside your house last week (I know it wasn't yours, btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

I had a close call with a kid a couple of weeks back, I was pulling out of C. Woods and becasue of the cars parked on the left and right hand side people are stopping further out into the road to get a clear line of sight. While preparing to stop...way further out then you should need to do... a kid on bike flew across the road from one foot path to the other....I missed him by an inch. If I hadnt needed to continue further out into the road to get a line of sight, I would have been stopped before the footpath line and clearly have seen the kid coming.

Also does anyone know what the rules are in relation to commercial vehiciles parking in the estate? We have a big white articulated truck parking on the corner of the green in C Woods every night creating a clear line of sight probable when cornering....and its a big eye sore to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

postmanpat69: We have a big white articulated truck parking on the corner of the green in C Woods every night creating a clear line of sight probable when cornering....and its a big eye sore to boot.

tried to get this issue sorted a number of time..I think we have finally put paid to it...haven't seen the artic truck parked there since...the difference it makes.

Hi wrote:
    postmanpat69: We have a big white articulated truck parking on the corner of the green in C Woods every night creating a clear line of sight probable when cornering....and its a big eye sore to boot.

tried to get this issue sorted a number of time..I think we have finally put paid to it...haven't seen the artic truck parked there since...the difference it makes.
    It was there last Thursday night (20th Sept).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

it was either Sunday or Monday it left...havent seen it back this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

woodser wrote:
    No they wont matt they will actually move into the spaces allocated to them -perform a simple exercise and take a walk behind the duplexes after 9 at night on a weekday and you wont need a survey to show you whats going on count the no. of empty spaces behind the duplexes and then count the no of cars parked on the spine road divide one into the other and you should come up with 0.Showin that car owners on the Wood and Court side where the problem is most prevelant are just too damn lasy to park their cars where they should be and take a little walk each day.

I think you should get your facts straight before making this kind of comment. There are a number of D!ckheads out there living in houses (not Apartments or Duplexes) who feel they have a god given right to park in the spaces reserved for duplex/apartments. ...while leaving their driveways clear. Muppets!!:mad:

The Yipper wrote:
    I think you should get your facts straight before making this kind of comment. There are a number of D!ckheads out there living in houses (not Apartments or Duplexes) who feel they have a god given right to park in the spaces reserved for duplex/apartments. ...while leaving their driveways clear. Muppets!!:mad:
    Thanks for the backup,

and you're right, there are more cars than parking spaces in charlesland at the moment, just this morning i caught someone parking in the crescent car park that shouldn't have been there. Not entertaining one bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

White articulated truck was parked back on the C. Wood Green last night :mad: Makes it even hard to corner let alone see whats around it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the backup,

and you're right, there are more cars than parking spaces in charlesland at the moment, just this morning i caught someone parking in the crescent car park that shouldn't have been there. Not entertaining one bit!

Matt, I was out for a lovely walk over the weekend and had a stroll up by the crescent. I don't normally get to walk around the west end of the development as I live down the East-side! I noticed that the crescent does not have numbered parking/designated parking so there is absolutely nothing to stop someone from parking in 'your' car park. I understand where you are coming from but at the end of the day these cars are not parking illegally i.e. on corners or causing a safety issue, and because it is not designated parking these people will park there as it is more convenient. Furthermore, it was the weekend and there was plenty of spaces, is there usually parking problems down your end?

Back to the OP's topic...

Postmanpat....was this truck parked on the spine road or in the Wood itself? I take it this guy/gal is parking the truck in different locations due to limited parking itself for such a size of a vehicle?! Or perhaps, he's already been spoken to by one resident and feels he needs to spread the love around.

@astro, yes during weekdays we are pretty maxed out. and as for marking out the parking to notify people, it is something we are looking at presently.

But when you buy around charlesland, you're told where your parking spaces are, people who park in other spaces are just being lazy

Matt, I am only aware of how it works in The Wood and the parking there for the apartments/duplexes is marked by way of numbered spaces. Therefore the car space is licensed and is detailed within the actual lease. Do you have similar detail in your lease?

Advertisement