Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire hoods for recessed lighting

Options
  • 25-09-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, I've recently had a lot of recessed lights (23) installed in new build and was thinking of adding fire hoods. I've used low-energy (CFL) mains voltage (9W each). I've seen intumescent hoods which help to improve fire safety and was wondering if these were a good idea.

Also, I was wondering if there is need for ventilation to prevent build up of heat and if so how can this be done without providing holes up into next floor level, ie. where can hot air vent to ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think that those CFLs get that hot compared with Halogens, but you could always get some clay flower pots and use them as hoods.
    They have a hole in the bottom so would vent off excess heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think this is better in DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I had a few threads on the requirement of these hoods in previously...

What you should realise is that intumescent hoods serve two purposes, one- to prevent an overheating lamp assembly from igniting surrounding objects, and two and primarily- to slow-down the spread of fire from a source below the enclosure.
    In situations where you are using incandescent lighting (GH10 halogen bulbs) there is a distinct need for ventilation of the bulb and enclosure and a hood will only serve to cause overheating if specified or installed incorrectly. With CFL bulbs, the requirement for intumescent hoods is lessened as there is less heat build-up in the lamp enclosure, but the hood should still be installed where a fire-spec requires it to be there.

So, unless you have concerns over the fire safety of the downlighters, I personally would not install covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ennisjim

Thanks all for the replies. Might give up on the intumescent hoods - expensive anyway (23 x €10+) and make up boxes with plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

to be honest, it's always good to have as much protection as possible, but as CJhaughey said heat with CFLs lamps in not nearly the same issue as it is with halogens lamps (particularly the 220V)

There are some options out there too, like a fire rated downlight housing, they are cheap enough (only a couple of euro dearer) they are an enclosed housing and dont let the naked lamp touch off anything in the roof space (although the housing can still get hot, just not as hot and there's also no access to the terminals)

Anyway OP sounds like you already have the fittings in place, I don't know if I'd go to all the trouble that you are talking about going to, but there is always the danger that someone will pop a halogen lamp into the fitting at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ennisjim

Hi Stoner. Yes I have the fittings in place. I feel the need to put some kind of enclosure in place in the roof space (9x2 joists at 14inch spacing) (thinking of making simple plasterboard boxes) because I need to put insulation into the joist spaces and above the light fittings and don't want open space to the attic at each light position.

Advertisement