Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT - Cap breach - BB cutoff?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I'm not entirely sure my issue was with a BT cut-off or even a service reduction...

My firewall was blocking certain svhost.exe entires, and after changing my ethernet port, I've been up for over 6 hours now...

HOPEFULLY that will be the end of it!

I would say FOR THE RECORD that I've always found BT's service top notch - they've been forgiving as hell with cap breaches before - I'm generally a happy customer.

BUT - if the cap breach issue continues, I'll be moving IPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

sticker wrote:
    I'm not entirely sure my issue was with a BT cut-off or even a service reduction...

My firewall was blocking certain svhost.exe entires, and after changing my ethernet port, I've been up for over 6 hours now...

HOPEFULLY that will be the end of it!

I would say FOR THE RECORD that I've always found BT's service top notch - they've been forgiving as hell with cap breaches before - I'm generally a happy customer.

BUT - if the cap breach issue continues, I'll be moving IPS.

So your connection problem is sorted now?

So your connection problem is sorted now?

It dropped this afternoon again - but I was on for a good while. I'm using the new ethernet line and a new antivirus (NOD32) / firewall (Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall) combo - I'll see if it stays stable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

and i moved from utv because of the capping (just prior to them offering unlimited). Anyhow if BT start this capping issue I'll be packing my bags as well and head off to another isp thats offering unlimited even if its a bit more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dirtchamber

Which ISPs have no cap as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Drustan wrote:
    and i moved from utv because of the capping (just prior to them offering unlimited). Anyhow if BT start this capping issue I'll be packing my bags as well and head off to another isp thats offering unlimited even if its a bit more expensive

I feel lucky I got into UTV before they stopped offering unlimited broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Which ISPs have no cap as a matter of interest?
    There are 3 options:
    A stated cap: Either throttled, charged or cut off for exceeding.
    Fair Use: This is a "we will cap you or whatever we like, but won't tell you in advance what the limit is and we'll change it without saying.
    Really No cap: Usually because the connection is so Slooowww it doesn't matter.

On real broadband with a sensible speed, unless you buy a horribly expensive no-contention business connection, there is always a cap. You just don't always know what it is.

Which Internet Service Providers have no cap?

Which Internet Service Providers have no cap?

I think Watty just answered your question dirtchamber...

He never mentioned 1 ISP so how did he answer it sticker?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Drustan wrote:

UTV Still offering unlimited according to their website?
    3Mb @ 32.99 p/m + 5.99 p/m unlimited is still cheaper than BT

He never mentioned 1 ISP so how did he answer it sticker?

I took his meaning as there's no hard and fast rule for caps with ISP's...

That said, whiterebel suggests that UTV have an unlimited option still available, so maybe that might suit you...

I have to say I RAN from UTV with downtime / customer service issues - I'd be reluctant to return to them if they have the same poor service

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sticker wrote:
    I took his meaning as there's no hard and fast rule for caps with ISP's...

That said, whiterebel suggests that UTV have an unlimited option still available, so maybe that might suit you...

I have to say I RAN from UTV with downtime / customer service issues - I'd be reluctant to return to them if they have the same poor service

I must say I was with them and changed to BT due to price - UTV were a bit slow to change, but I found their Customer Serv, and Tech Support A1. Was peeved at their decision to charge an exit fee to Customers though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

sticker wrote:
    Well, just to post back the story – the replacement modem arrived today, sei it up and fifteen minutes later the connection is lost AGAIN! :mad:

BUGGER…

The only two alternatives left are:

1) New PC rig bought – spec:
    CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700, 2666 MHz (10 x 267)
    Motherboard Name EVGA NF68 (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 680i SLI

2) New location for new PC:
    Converted attic – ie existing phone line brought into attic from floor below.

So it could be the network card on the new PC / network slot? Or the new extension phone line installed into the attic is faulty?

I'm gonna try unplugging BT phone dongles and just plug the phone line directly into the wall...

Anyone know of a diagnostic app that could ascertain a line drop problem?
    Your router is way too far away from your main phone point, you always have to be connected to your main phone point with BT ADSL. I suggest you filter all existing phone connections (sky and house alarms too) and purchase a wireless router and keep it downstairs.

Connect your router to the main phone on its own, no filters and no other phones connected, see if you get the solid DSL. If not, ring BT and claim a fault on the line.

whiterebel wrote:
    I must say I was with them and changed to BT due to price - UTV were a bit slow to change, but I found their Customer Serv, and Tech Support A1. Was peeved at their decision to charge an exit fee to Customers though......

As I said before, if BT start this messing' around with cap restrictions, I'll be heading straight for UTV again!

Praetor wrote:
    I mighta not been clear enough, BT DOES NOT DO IT

They will start doing it once the rest of the providers do, might be sooner than you think though... but that will not be up to us.

If they do and anyone wants to leave you are of course free to do it as long as your contract is over...

Now enjoy!

I've had THREE different BT support guys tell me they DO cut off certain excessive breaches - since April this year - there have been cases of service reduction AND absolute cut offs.

They've always been tolerant of my breach months, but they say they ARE cracking down - thats from the horses mouth Praetor.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Praetor wrote:
    They will, nevertheless, not long from now, start charging people when they exceed their download limit.
    There are other providers (in my area anyway) that offer 10GB over BT's limit for the same price. Once BT start charging for exceeding the limit, I'll be off. And I've been with BT for as long as I've been registered on these boards. So I'd say I'm fairly loyal.

I do try to stick to the limit but have been finding it tougher in recent months as certain family members become familiar with 4OD and the likes :rolleyes: .

Praetor wrote:
    Nevertheless, as an exception, they have cut off a couple of guys whose have exceeded by far their max usage (more than 150 gigs per month) and not only once but several months in a row.

People need to understand that doing this is not acceptable and if they do it they will be affecting other customers.

Fair point mate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ollielou

amazes me the thought process of irish public in general,the rest of europe has uncapped services with faster speeds and we have guys moaning about breaching caps,jesus wept ,were a sad lot tbh,we should be pushingfor faster dload speeds and better allowences with regard to caps,after all were paying highest line rental in europe and our bb prices are pricety too,wake up for gods sake ,god help us if video on demand becomes popular 3 movies and a cap will be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm with BT for 3 weeks now, and I've already breached my cap of 30GB (37 so far), so I'm gonna stop downloading anything till the 5th week, even though none of you seemed to have been charged for cap breaches.:)
    It's not easy for me, being french, not used to this download allowance policy, although France had it 7 or 8 years ago. I used to download for 50GBish of data per month, which I thought was reasonable.:p
    I heard BT are upgrading connections to 8Mbps (with the same download cap!!). Has anyone got that yet ? A 8Mbps connection would allow BT to propose BT Vision, and maybe VOIP. It's probably not that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 mickh

Hi guys

Where can I check my used quota for my broadband connection online. I use 'costaware' on the PC at home to keep an eye on my download but would like to know exactly what I am using.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Been on BT Mb for 2 Years. Went over the Limit many times. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 revin

here you go

http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/

I've been with BT/IOL since before they even had broadband. I live in the Drogheda area and I've always had the top package available. For the first year or more I had 320 kbytes/sec download 24/7 but about 6 months ago the speed really started to suffer. I'm lucky to get 30kbyes/sec in the evening these days (and I rarely go over the monthly cap).

BT support told me that the local exchange was maxed out, since their Broadband and Total Talk package became so popular. He said they would be upgrading their exchange at some stage but not to hold my breath. Anyone know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

dhaumi wrote: »
    I'm glad I found this thread. I'm with BT for 3 weeks now, and I've already breached my cap of 30GB (37 so far), so I'm gonna stop downloading anything till the 5th week, even though none of you seemed to have been charged for cap breaches.:)
    It's not easy for me, being french, not used to this download allowance policy, although France had it 7 or 8 years ago. I used to download for 50GBish of data per month, which I thought was reasonable.:p
    I heard BT are upgrading connections to 8Mbps (with the same download cap!!). Has anyone got that yet ? A 8Mbps connection would allow BT to propose BT Vision, and maybe VOIP. It's probably not that easy.

I think it is purely Business Customers who get this. I emailed them about it but never got a response. Quelle Surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kmick wrote: »
    I think it is purely Business Customers who get this. I emailed them about it but never got a response. Quelle Surprise
    I think you should read the thread a page or two back about it tbh.

I ordered the 8meg in Dun Laoghaire and they even replied to my email query about it as well prior to me ordering.

Thanks revin

I knew about this webpage previously. A little non descript though, isn't it.

The eircom stats we can get for our office BB is far superior, monthly, even daily breakdown. Wish BT would improve this as I never seem to know when the monthly allocation starts. Is it the 1st of the month do you know?

Thanks

Mickh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

mickh wrote: »
    Is it the 1st of the month do you know?

Yep :)

Cheers D.T.Jesus

Will check on 1st Novemeber to make sure that BT reset counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't bother checking mine anymore. Haven't looked it up in about a year, I do have DU Meter running though and I can check my stats on that if I feel like it. Generally do about 100G a month.

If BT cut me off, or threaten to charge for going over, then I'll be off to IBB for their uncapped DSL. Works out about 10euro a month more than BT but worth it for no cap. The only thing stopping me from changing right now is I don't need to. Been a customer of BTs since IOL broadband in the 512k days, near 4 years now I think. Always been on the most expensive package too. I'd have no problem paying more for unlimited usage, but BT don't seem bothered to offer it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ollielou

god help us .thats all i have to say,whats going to happen with video on demand as well as the likes of buying games online like the steam service or direct to drive service,if u want internet for emails and general surfing,stick to dial up or if your intrested in the above apple tv quicktime hi def trailers you tube etc etc xbox 360 stream service u need broadband ,thats what its for download upload large amounts of video files etc/30 gig will be a disgrace of a cap in a years time ,who r they kidding with the attitude,oh dear johnny downloaded 80 gig last month and thats why your speed is crap ,lol,makes me laugh,ive worked in numerous houses and business es where broadband is present and is hardly used and the crap we get is the minority are throttling the whole country,blame the small man again ,instead of providing a desent service ,lol makes me laugh:D

Advertisement