Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT - Cap breach - BB cutoff?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Nice Rant, didn't make much sense though I cant see how an ISP would suggest that your speed is crap due to the amount you have all ready downloaded the two are not related, througput is throughput.

On the whole cap thing, it would be very difficult to implament charging for going over the cap for anyone to put in place retrospectively after deploying their billing system and their Broadband access network without having allready incorporated them at a build stage because it would most likely be a hack to try and get the two to work, secondly it would most likely be un-reliable, thirdly it would just be an extra cost on an allready expensive network STM1s AND 10gigs for backhaul dont come cheap (by that I mean its probably easier to get tens of thousands of euro out of a bank or something with a lot less hassle).

Anyway does anyone remember the Surf no Limits debacle, BT basically looked at their top offenders and sent out a warning shot. Its much cheaper and easier to just look at your radius servers every six months or so and send out a warning shot by kicking a few users off the service and then let boards.ie do the rest as far as publicity goes in terms of distributing the policy.

I'm not saying this happens but it easily could, and it would be a lot cheaper than providing a system for managing these Caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ollielou

well i was led to believe that the pple who go over their caps or are heavy downloaders eg the guy who dloads 80gig a month ,wow a whopping 80 gig when an average harddrive now is 500gig ie storage is getting bigger and cheaper.,are the pple who are throttling the service,thats the point im makeing ,when most of europe is uncapped and higher speeds,but then again we always put up with crap in this country or spin ,leading us to believe,what we can and cannot do wnload ,imo its possible to use up a 30 gig cap in 2 days;) so wheres the problem here is it eircom infrastructure,enlighten me plse ,why are we paying highest line rental and high bband prices for services we can only use for a certain amount of gig allowence a month,http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=15764

i have a dream :(

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I have a dream too, but it involves better grammar and punctuation.

Still, stream of consciousness posting is always fascinating.

and your point is,maybe im not uni material like yours truely,but i know when im being ripped off:D fascinating full stop.comma whatever

Still, stream of consciousness posting is always fascinating,grammer lol;)

• Advertisement

well cult ,all i gotta say is were not all born with a silver spoon up our arse[like you]ill discuss grammer with you any day face to face u liberal student,when u finish rugger training with blackrock lol

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I was going to reply with a rebuke, but you have yet to say anything that I would be insulted by, so keep on truckin', I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

ollielou banned for calling cult a liberal student. There's no need for that sort of language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this does relates to the original post - BT Caps. The BT usage monitor (http://broadband.iol.ie/usage) mentions how about going over your download cap. But I presume your upload data is also included in the cap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BT count the upload and download separately. So if you're on 3Mbps, your cap is 30GB down and 30GB up. They don't keep too much tabs on it anyway. I was doing about 150GB download a month, and maybe 40GB up, up till the end of December. I'm with Smart now, so no caps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement