Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nutrition and diet forum mods

Options
  • 25-09-2007 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

ok, i'm all for this forum, but for a start, it would probably be better suited to a subforum of fitness in some way.

also, the choice of mods is, well confusing. i dont think i've EVER seen any of the moderators chosen contributing to diet or nutrition related threads in the fitness forum, so they obviously have either no interest in the area, or else they just dont care about helping others, neither of which are conducive to good moderating.

personally i'm pretty shocked g'em wasn't made a moderator. anyone who even glances at the fitness forum will know that she really knows her stuff, and is always giving very helpful advice and thorough explanations of why x, y and z will or wont work.
    she's easily the most qualified to moderate the forum, why was she overlooked?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

this forum was always going to be controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

neuro-praxis seems to be doing a good job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is more to life than the posters of the fitness forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

they obviously have either no interest in the area
    Mods don't need to be experts in the material of the forum they moderate. Obviously, it would be nice if they were, but thats not what the job is about.
    they just dont care about helping others
    They wouldn't have accepted the job of moderator then, would they? It doesn't give as much power as people seem to think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I think modding diet and nutrition is something that shouldn't be given to just anybody, particularly someone who has a self confessed issue/problem with the areas.

I don't know what qualifies either mod to determine what should and should not be allowed on such a forum and I would hate to think that bad advice might be allowed there.

This is a serious issue for many people and should not be just given to the people/person who requested the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I agree with Amz. Some people shouldn't be allowed to mod a forum.
    Just because you started it doesn't mean you should. Some knowledge of the subject is required. I redict it will all end in tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Seraphina wrote:

Did she want the hassle in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I was really looking forward to getting involved in this forum too when I saw it was up and running, but tbh, the attitute of the said mod has put me off already.
    - my 2c.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I know nothing about the qualifications of said mods, but I would have thought if you are going to advise on something as specific as nutrition and diet, you would have to know what you're talking about?
    Otherwise could you not get yourself in trouble? Bit like not discussing medical issues on PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I was really looking forward to getting involved in this forum too when I saw it was up and running, but tbh, the attitute of the said mod has put me off already.
    - my 2c.
    I've had a look at most of the posts in there and I can't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Seraphina wrote:
    ok, i'm all for this forum, but for a start, it would probably be better suited to a subforum of fitness in some way.
    Why? It's for nutritional information. I don't see how that is more suited to Fitness than to Food & Drink. If I want to know the nutritional advantages of porridge, my first point of call should be Food & Drink, not Fitness.
    also, the choice of mods is, well confusing.
    She lobbied for the idea and she is a long-term established poster.
    i dont think i've EVER seen any of the moderators chosen contributing to diet or nutrition related threads in the fitness forum
    It's not a matter of fitness. It's a matter of eating well, which is distinct from being fit.
    so they obviously have either no interest in the area
    Obviously false, as the mod sought to establish the forum.
    or else they just dont care about helping others
    Declaration of interest here, the mod you speak of is a family member of mine. Regardless of people's opinions on her, I don't think anyone could claim that she doesn't care about helping others. That's such a false conclusion about it, it's actually a little amusing to me.
    neither of which are conducive to good moderating.
    Aside from the facts that she has an interest in nutrition cares about helping others, moderating has very little to do with this "good moderating" vibe people have. People have complimented me on my modding, but I'm almost always silent on Investments & Markets. This isn't because I don't know anything about it or I don't read the forum or I don't care about helping people who are worrying that their Post Office deposit account it too high-risk for their liking, it's just that I prefer to read than to actively post there.
    personally i'm pretty shocked g'em wasn't made a moderator. anyone who even glances at the fitness forum will know that she really knows her stuff, and is always giving very helpful advice and thorough explanations of why x, y and z will or wont work.
    That's fair enough, but that wouldn't necessarily make her a good mod. Sonnenblumen is a well-informed (albeit sometimes mis-behaved) poster in the Biz category. In my opinion, and I expect he'll debate this :D, he'd make an awful mod.
    The site owners (well, one in particular) felt it was adequate to appoint neuro-praxis as mod. I'm not saying that no other mod is going to be added or what not, but what's the problem? Are you assuming she's going to do a bad job?

Beruthiel wrote:
    I know nothing about the qualifications of said mods, but I would have thought if you are going to advise on something as specific as nutrition and diet, you would have to know what you're talking about?
    Otherwise could you not get yourself in trouble? Bit like not discussing medical issues on PI.
    It's not medical advice though, unless you consider (the PI equivalent) of telling someone to wash their face to get rid of spots "medical advice."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

smashey wrote:

+1 - I'm confused by the original statement there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

smashey wrote:
    I just looked at all the posts in the forum, same.

Also, a problem with weight is not the same as not knowing your stuff.
    I have not seen any bad advice in there yet, and if there is, myself an other posters will pull people up on it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ibid wrote:
    It's not medical advice though

No
    But if you are going to tell someone what they should or shouldn't be eating on a given diet, then you need to know what you are talking about.
    We all know what is good and bad for you to a degree, but I for one wouldn't consider myself qualified enough to discuss the nutrition part with someone looking for advice on the subject.

Ibid wrote:
    It's not medical advice though, unless you consider (the PI equivalent) of telling someone to wash their face to get rid of spots "medical advice."
    Ibid, that's a pretty shoddy attitude, diet and nutritition are incredibly serious issues and as you should know they can have serious implications on an individuals health and well being.

You're obviously going to defend neuro-praxis as she's a family member, but try and look at the issues logically and without that bias.

She is not qualified to advise on such issues or decide on what is good/bad advice so should not be modding the forum.

It should be moderated incredibly strictly and I feel that giving advice on such issues can be as serious as giving medical advice and as such should be treated as seriously.

well the only post I don't like so far is the foods to get you through the day style one.

Other than that I think with a bit of guidance the current mod would be fine as she is eager, which is great

Are there more qualified individuals? Yes. Are there more qualified people raising their hands to do the job. I don't see any hands.

Vegeta wrote:
    well the only post I don't like so far is the foods to get you through the day style one.

Other than that I think with a bit of guidance the current mod would be fine as she is eager, which is great

Are there more qualified individuals? Yes. Are there more qualified people raising their hands to do the job. I don't see any hands.
    Not everyone is aware of the forum, and similarly not everyone reads the Forum proposals forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Amz wrote:

It should be moderated incredibly strictly and I feel that giving advice on such issues can be as serious as giving medical advice and as such should be treated as seriously.

Don't know neuro-praxis so can't comment on him/her but I have to agree with amz on this one, Who ever mods the forum does need to know his her stuff regarding which is good/bad advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think neuro-praxis is fine as a mod... but it might be no harm to make G'em a mod there too as she is very well informed on nutritional matters (if she wants it that is).

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    I think neuro-praxis is fine as a mod... but it might be no harm to make G'em a mod there too as she is very well informed on nutritional matters (if she wants it that is).
    And if anybody needs meat or dairy fee help, turn to moi. ;-)

Amz wrote:
    Not everyone is aware of the forum, and similarly not everyone reads the Forum proposals forum.

hey don't get me wrong, I think it is a very serious issue and already question some topics and posts but until I see someone else standing up to take the reigns I think its unfair to bash the current mod.

I just feel that the choice of mod should have been taken more seriously than it appears to have been taken.

This is an area that can affect people's health and well being so just handing it to the first person to put their hand up can cause problems.

Amz wrote:
    Ibid, that's a pretty shoddy attitude, diet and nutritition are incredibly serious issues and as you should know they can have serious implications on an individuals health and well being.
    I guess the divergence is what level the forum is pitched at. I completely agree that if it's a high-level "This is what you must eat" pitch, then it should be modded extremely carefully by pros, maybe even scrapped. If, on the other hand, it's a "I'm heading to college and want to eat reasonably well" forum - which is my impression of it - then I think I could probably mod it myself in all my bag of crisps goodness.

The distinction here is very similar to that of Investments. If anyone says "What do you think of Bank of Ireland's share price?" they'll get a discussion of merits from people who know a thing or two about the industry, might have a personal stake and hence interest in the topic, but who are generally well below the level of professionals. And it gets on fine. Nobody goes there expecting everything to be precise but it's generally good to the average punter and I'm sure a few Boardsies will learn a few things and make a few pounds from it. All is well.

Similarly, if the N&D forum is pitched at a "Well, college student, porridge is cheap and high in protein, what do you think of that?" level, I'm sure a few Boardsies will learn a few things lose a few pounds from it. All is well. (See what I did there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

fits wrote:

Expressing my sentiments to the letter! I would like to see the currentmods stay in the position they are in but would like an Admin to approach g'em to see if she would be interested in modding also.

It would be a very good idea if one of the fitness mods could copy over the fitness forum nutrition stickies to this new forum. They really are some of the best posts on the whole of boards.ie.

It's obvious neuro-praxis is very interested in the forum and imo, will make a great mod. She does need to grab a hold of some of the posts in there and just nudge the posters in the right direction...differentiating between refined and unrefined carbs would be good for a start. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Maybe this should be a sub forum of Biology and Medicine with one of the B&M mods helping out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

well for a start, i didn't mention neuro-praxis anywhere in my post, why everyone is jumping to her defence and assuming i'm attacking her :rolleyes: Ibid, is beyond me. there are 5 moderators listed on that forum, i was referring to all of them in general tbh.

secondly, i suggested fitness because thats where most nutritional/diet questions currently end up, and thats where they get all the best advice too.

frankly, if you're going to have a bunch of women discussing weight watchers and how to squeeze chocolate into your day without gaining weight, it should be called portion control or losing weight, and not diet and nutrition.

there has been very little in the way of actual proper nutrition advice, and no offence to neuro, i've met her and she's lovely, but i really dont think she can mod a diet and nutrition forum just cause she suggested it and she's managed to lose a few pounds recently. i haven't seen any of the other mods active on the forum.

if you look on the fitness forum (i keep going back because thats where all the knowledge in this area comes from on boards) there are a number of people (not just g'em) who would be up to speed on alot more than just calorie counting when it comes to this stuff. in fact i'd almost go so far as to say that *i* probably know more about diet and nutrition than neuro.

i'm not trying to piss anyone off here, and i'm not knocking neuro's moderating abilities, but i think there needs to be someone with more knowledge to correct misinformation (there's alot of it out there) which can be very dodgy when it comes to stuff like this.

Ibid it's very easy to say that's it's only a general forum for college students, but that's taking away from the seriousness of it. People do take diet and nutrition very seriously, you have to go to university to get a degree to be qualified to give advice, I don't think neuro-praxis has such a qualification.

Also, giving advice, no matter how trivial you might feel it is, on an internet forum can be quite dodgy, particularly when it can affect the health and well being of the person being advised. There is no way to follow up on advice and ensure that it is being followed properly.

By naming the forum Diet and Nutrition you're immediately implying that that's the kind of advice/topic that will be discussed there. It is quite misleading if all you're going to do is talk about lunch suggestions as they're already covered in other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Evil Phil wrote:
    Maybe this should be a sub forum of Biology and Medicine with one of the B&M mods helping out?

I'd be more inclined to have it as a sub-forum of fitness, but then you'd have a weird crossover of people eating creatine (yum) to put on muscle, and people trying to lose weight, which I suppose could be intimidating for the latter... still... it seems like the most natural place for it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest, the second I first saw this forum asked for I asked myself "why?". It appears people don't like to package eating healthy and fitness together.

Why is that? Is it really so bad to be concerned about your health? Is it such an illogical step to consider that eating the foods your body needs in the correct portions at the correct times can be a part of fitness? Since when did fitness or health go hand in hand with a gym membership?

This forum could either be a huge help, or a total disaster, filled with folk who talk about X System and Y Diet but are not putting the actual effort into making real changes. The simple fact is that an honest and obvious improvement in physical health or appearance takes effort. If it didn't we'd all have six packs and 20 inch arms.

I have no doubt Neuro's heart is in the right place, but frankly that forum is a potential mine-field of possible bad advice and Cosmo bull**** about losing weight...... something boards needs to keep an eye on.

Advertisement