Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nutrition and diet forum mods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Boston wrote:
    a) The person doesn't have me on ignore.
    b) Do you actually use either forum in question here or are you talking through your arse like Ibid there.
    c) Why don't you give cloud a ring and have a chat with him about my posting style.
    d) I probably said one of the nicest things i've ever said on boards in relation to a user in this thread, and this is the one you pick to call me a troll in. If you are actually able to read I suggest you go back a review all my contributions ( I like to call them little presents) before making your ill founded, poorly backed up and downright ignorance comments.
    Just for the record, I was referring to Ibid having you on ignore.
    I like the you effectively admit to trolling, just that my timing is off this time (elements of truth right through this sentence).
    And lol, like I need to back myself up.

Now, I've fed you enough, I'm done. Sorry for OT and congrats to G'em, best of luck with the new forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gavrilo princip

Hi, I'm new here, but I'd like to join in on the whining, bitching and moaning.
    I only want to do this so that I fit in with the crowd.

Now where's that god damn cheese burger.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My friends were in a band a few years ago and they had a song called Gavrilo Princips...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

cast_iron wrote:
    Just for the record, I was referring to Ibid having you on ignore.

So was I.
    I like the you effectively admit to trolling, just that my timing is off this time (elements of truth right through this sentence).

There are plenty of other threads here where you comments would have had merit. why don't you go defend sonofblah or what ever his name is.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mods dont need to know dick about their topics. Usually they do because such people are the type to accept the mod role but its not required. They DO need to know when to call for backup (Smods/Admins), when to delete and ban and when to warn and wag a finger. In a forum like this they will need to be careful about allowing pseudo-medical advice but I think they have that covered.

In short, does anyone think that I couldn't mod that forum... and my concept of the 4 food groups is: Pizza, Chinese, Beer and..... Pizza?

Vegetables arent food. Vegetables are what food eats.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeVore wrote:
    Mods dont need to know dick about their topics. Usually they do because such people are the type to accept the mod role but its not required. They DO need to know when to call for backup (Smods/Admins), when to delete and ban and when to warn and wag a finger. In a forum like this they will need to be careful about allowing pseudo-medical advice but I think they have that covered.

In short, does anyone think that I couldn't mod that forum... and my concept of the 4 food groups is: Pizza, Chinese, Beer and..... Pizza?

DeV.

id post a cat picture at you, but im in work.

i will keep my eye on this forum and will spank neuro praxis if anything gets out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

LolCatRenderer.jpg

124754030_f05cf52486.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

I'm sure you could Mod it, but i doubt you could offer anything useful outside of the ability to ban people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

i will keep my eye on this forum and will spank neuro praxis if anything gets out of hand.

Spank g'em - she's the one who should know better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Spank g'em - she's the one who should know better!
    Probably not the best idea. I'll just enjoy it too much and become a repeat offender.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dragan wrote:
    I'm sure you could Mod it, but i doubt you could offer anything useful outside of the ability to ban people?
    Boards is not the source of content. We are the conduit for it. The mods are not here to educate, entertain or amuse. They are here to keep order. You're analogy is like saying a cop walking a beat past a university should be able to yell differential equations as he passes.
    Mods may offer their own insights if they feel like it but that is on their own time so to speak. Knowledge of a subject may be helpful in determining if someone is writing something dangerous to others but in most forums, that hardly even applies.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Boards is not the source of content. We are the conduit for it. The mods are not here to educate, entertain or amuse. They are here to keep order. You're analogy is like saying a cop walking a beat past a university should be able to yell differential equations as he passes.
    Mods may offer their own insights if they feel like it but that is on their own time so to speak. Knowledge of a subject may be helpful in determining if someone is writing something dangerous to others but in most forums, that hardly even applies.

DeV.

Yes, but here the Cops are the students/lecturers. Mods should contribute something to a forum beyond being faceless tool of authority. The mods you describe are mroe like Cmods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Boston wrote:
    Yes, but here the Cops are the students/lecturers. Mods should contribute something to a forum beyond being faceless tool of authority. The mods you describe are mroe like Cmods.

Agreed.

Having a mod with a degree of knowledge about the subject at hand is an advantage, especially around things like Fitness, Nutrition etc. It makes it much easier to cut the wheat from the chaff and avoid any bull****.

I think mods should at least have a passing interest and knowledge of their subject, and in fairness, this is normally the case on boards.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

wow, boston thats the first non insulting post i can remember reading of yours, and well frankly, its spot on! Yes i agree too, while the mod doesnt need to be an expert, some knowledge is an advantage and makes a clear difference on the forum. Particular on a forum were bad advice could have reprecussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

most things fall into equilibrium after a while.

when the posturing and cat pictures are long gone and forgotten, the forum will still run, and mods that arent interested usually get replaced at some stage.

ive had plenty of mods replaced because they just werent posting on forums any more. its not a big deal, it just takes a little longer.

anytime now im expecting to be raised to sainthood.

Hence we have g'em. Knowledge of the topic is an advantage, not a requirement.

At the risk of repeating myself, the mod is there to keep order and be our eyes and ears on the ground. They are in no way required to produce content so that will be the central premise of Boston's (admittedlly unusually thoughtful) post blown out of the water. Soz d00d. :p

If we want to batter the analogy to death, its as though some cops attend night classes in said university. That doesnt impinge on their capacity to do their day job one way or another. We do look for Mods with an interest in the topic as that makes the job less of a, well, job but its not a requirement.

I'll state again that I could mod the Nutrition form because I'm an experienced *Mod*, not because I know which foods are currently labeled as "super" or not.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself, the mod is there to keep order and be our eyes and ears on the ground. They are in no way required to produce content so that will be the central premise of Boston's (admittedlly unusually thoughtful) post blown out of the water. Soz d00d. :p

But they should have an understanding of the content. Even policing has an element of community relations and liason. If a mod doesn't understand the topics being discussed how can he or she make an informed disicision on there merit. On any given forum the moderators are not going to be the ones driving the discussion, they will be just one voice among many, but they need to know when to step in. For example, take the airsoft forum, ruggiebeer would ahve no problem spoting flaming, spam abuse or anything like that, but would he be able to notice the 100 other things that would require moderator intervention on that forum? In time maybe, but the mod would basically be totally dependent on the regular users to point out topics which should be discussed or which shouldn't be monitored closely.

I'll state again that I could mod the Nutrition form because I'm an experienced *Mod*, not because I know which foods are currently labeled as "super" or not.

DeV.

Could you spot someone giving poor advice and if so would you see it as your place to step in a protect the user seaking advice? Could you spot someone recommend illegal/dangerous supplements? Basically comes down to how you see the moderator role, is it reactionary (waiting for report posts and blantant spam to act) or is it proactive (fixing problems before they get bigger) I personally think a combination of both is best, and all you have to do is look at the majority of forums here to see that.

Faceman: I contribute to about a dozen forums regularly, you hardly believe every post I make on boards is like the ones I make on feedback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Boston wrote:
    Could you spot someone giving poor advice and if so would you see it as your place to step in a protect the user seaking advice? Could you spot someone recommend illegal/dangerous supplements? Basically comes down to how you see the moderator role, is it reactionary (waiting for report posts and blantant spam to act) or is it proactive (fixing problems before they get bigger) I personally think a combination of both is best, and all you have to do is look at the majority of forums here to see that.

This is the crux of the matter imo. while knowledge of the topic may not be critical for some forums (e.g. those along the lines of entertainment, business, sports etc), any forum where poor advice or comments can potentially impact a person either physically or mentally (i.e. where professional advice is more appropriate) or can potentially open the site up to libellous action, needs a bit more than just general moderation. (pro active moderation as boston says) A good example is the biology & medicine forum where the mods (who may or may not be medically qualified) manage the place quite well. (I mention only 1 of many well managed forums btw).

Boards, unlike many internet forums, has a massive userbase and appears in almost every google search so the exposure is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

But if Boards start saying they are making people mods because they know their stuff are Boards taking responsibility for the advice given?

6th wrote:
    But if Boards start saying they are making people mods because they know their stuff are Boards taking responsibility for the advice given?

Well since that is how that vast majority of mods are selected, what you're asking is, should we pretend otherwise in order to avoid responsibility. Mods arn't selected randomly, their usually a regular contributor to a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

why then ... should we?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I really want to become a mod and I see Aviation and Aircraft is looking for one. Cool, I'll go for that. I don't know jack**** about aviation or indeed aircraft, but it's a modship, that's all that matters.

The above scenario is what people are fearing. It's not gonna happen.

Dudess wrote:
    I really want to become a mod and I see Aviation and Aircraft is looking for one. Cool, I'll go for that. I don't know jack**** about aviation or indeed aircraft, but it's a modship, that's all that matters.

The above scenario is what people are fearing. It's not gonna happen.

not true. its only relevent to forums where, as i said in a previous post, poor (or incorrect) advice or comments can potentially impact a person either physically or mentally (i.e. where professional advice is more appropriate) or can potentially open the site up to libellous action.

Mods bear this in mind though. The guys and gals in Personal Issues clearly do their homework.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DeVore wrote:
    my concept of the 4 food groups is: Pizza, Chinese, Beer and..... Pizza?

DeV.

Welcome, Brother DeV

Dudess wrote:
    Mods bear this in mind though. The guys and gals in Personal Issues clearly do their homework.

most do in fairness. tbh, i wasnt keen on the N&D forum at all when proposed however i do think its been handled well so far.

As for PI, there are some of us who have issue with some of things that have gone on there.

I think a person who has an interest in/knowledge of (and the two tend to go hand in hand) a particular subject, will be drawn to modding a forum that focuses on it.
    faceman wrote:
    As for PI, there are some of us who have issue with some of things that have gone on there.
    Like what?

This is why we dont have a medical advice forum nor a legal advice forum. PI and Nutrition are about as close to that wind as I want to sail.

I firmly believe that we are a conduit for information, not a source.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I like cake!

Advertisement