Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Limit

Options
  • 25-09-2007 3:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully this is the right forum for this.
    I owe 1300 on my card and hope to have that cleared very soon. The limit on the card is 4300 which I dont want or need. My question is what sort of limits do people have on their cards here and would a limit of 1500 be too low? Basically once I have it cleared I want to lower my limit so not to spend what I dont got nor do I want to cut it up as it is handy to have in case of emergencies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Lowest is 600 I think and u can instruct them not to raise it unless you request it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Mine is probably something like 10 years old now, and started with a limit of £800. They upped it to £1000, then €1260 and eventually €1500 and then the rule about no just upping it for the sake of it without permission rule came in.

I get on fine with €1500 limit, I just transfer money in if I need to buy something bigger, but that realistically is very very rarely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 retrosouls

God, I remember when my credit card used to be in the 1000's... I'm pretty much f**ked with mine. There was a 3500 limit on it and never got it lowered down and guess what. I owe them that now! Handiest things ever, but when ur a gob****e like myself best having it lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sophie01

when i first got my credit card i think i got 3k or 4k without by just applying. Before the rules came in which fobid the provider to increase your limit without asking they put mine up to over 8k!!!!!!!! i would have a heart attack if i even thought of spending that amount on a CC - i usually can peak at 3k if i have just been on hols or something - its up to the user i suppose but if you don't need it then why have it - i might actually contact them to reduce mine now - just in case! it also reduces liability for stolen/lost CC if you don't get to cancel in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

i think i have a limit about 12000 on my CC

but thank God i only owe them 75 euros :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My limit is €1,000 and I owe nothing. In general I pay the bill as soon as I use it(the joys of internet banking). Have never once got a bill in the door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

You people are much smarter than me.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They offered Mrs MarkR a credit limit of €16,000, on the offchance that she'd want to pick up a small car on the way home I suppose.

Depends on what you buy. Make it something that you can take note of, like a weeks wages. Makes you think hard before buying something as to whether you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Got my first credit card about 2/3 months ago and started off with a €10,000 limit. Got it just before Vegas too which was very dangerous esp. cos i left my ATM card at home so it was visa the whole time. But I locked it up in the room safe each night before heading out so i only blew a few hundred each night on drink and games still racked up 2-2.5k on it though on drink and blackjack alone :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

fletch wrote: »
    My limit is €1,000 and I owe nothing. In general I pay the bill as soon as I use it(the joys of internet banking). Have never once got a bill in the door :D
    You should be receiving a bill anytime there any any transactions on your card, including debits or credits. It doesn't matter if you don't owe anything on it. You could require these for future applications for loans or other credit cards.

The only time you shouldn't receive one is if there are no debits/credits on the card at all in the preceeding billing period. Which isn't the case if you use it and pay it off straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

*Bump*

I want to buy a tv online with a student mastercard, but the credit limit is €600 and the tv is twice that price. Everything owed on the card is payed 100% every month with direct debit. (I'm not using the card for loaning money, just for buying online) Do I just need to ring mastercard to get the limit raised without any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

ShaneU wrote: »
    *Bump*

I want to buy a tv online with a student mastercard, but the credit limit is €600 and the tv is twice that price. Everything owed on the card is payed 100% every month with direct debit. (I'm not using the card for loaning money, just for buying online) Do I just need to ring mastercard to get the limit raised without any hassle?

Put your card into credit by 600€ then you have 1200 to play with. You can do this by a bank transfer online (if you use online).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Put your card into credit by 600€ then you have 1200 to play with. You can do this by a bank transfer online (if you use online).

Can you do that on AIB Internet Banking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

my cc provider ulster does not up my limits..even after so much request..i hold it for last 4 years :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

ShaneU wrote: »
    Can you do that on AIB Internet Banking?

Yeah, use the Bill Pay feature. I've been using AIB Internet Banking for years and purely pay off my credit card bill using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

my cc provider ulster does not up my limits..even after so much request..i hold it for last 4 years :-(

i had terrible trouble when i switched to ulster too, they gave me a 300 limit or something, coming from my previous aib card (always cleared) with 3k limit. it was handy as my current account and mortgage were with them and they pay the government levy for you.(they did last time i checked anyway) after weeks of them asking me for this and that, i told them to shove the card, that i was going back to my previous one. 10mins later i had a nice call from an area manager apologising and told me i could have a 3500 limit :confused:

Advertisement