Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my line suitable for broadband

Options
  • 25-09-2007 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

I got a call yesterday from Eircom asking if we were happy with the service we get. Said that we are waiting for our exchange to be broadband enabled. The Eircom rep said that the exchange will be enabled before the end of the year, probably during October.

Is there any way of knowing if my line will be suitable for broadband when the exchange is upgraded ? I am within 1KM of the exchange and I get dialup speeds of 45.2kb/s. I wouldn't be surprised if after waiting years for the exchange to be upgraded I can't get bb because I have a paired line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Your dial-up speed is good. I say you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Wouldn't worry with those speeds at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Thanks guys - [mockers]the wait is nearly over[/mockers]:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, I think if there's a Pairgain on the line then your dial-up would be limited to about 25-30kbps. Your speeds would indicate that you haven't got one and with speeds like that on dial-up I'd imagine there aren't too many line issues (noise & line quality) that would hamper broadband.

Hopefully now eircom will get the finger out an do the exchange though. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what the reps say, as they often lie or simply don't know. What exchange are you on? Interesting to know eircom are still doing some exchanges. My sister is waiting patiently, still.

I'm on the Clonlara exchange in Co Clare. It was on the list of 100 exchanges to be done this year. Whenever I have asked in the past about the exchange being enabled I have never got a positive answer but this time she checked it out and came back with a definite yes. As soon as it is done I will let people know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

db wrote:
    It was on the list of 100 exchanges to be done this year.

Hi.

Know where I can see this list?

Out of interest I compared the exchanges on the famous 100 list against the list of enabled exchanges on the Eircom website and I find that 19 of them appear to be enabled. There are also some other exchanges not on the list that have been enabled recently. Eircom still have some way to go but at least they are making some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

My exchange was one of the initial 100 spoken of. And is one of the 19 they have claimed they have upgraded (Tiermaclane), so I got the line connected and am checking my line and it is comming up not suitable. I must give them a ring tomorrow and get it sorted, orther wise bye bye to the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

My exchange was one of the initial 100 spoken of. And is one of the 19 they have claimed they have upgraded (Tiermaclane), so I got the line connected and am checking my line and it is comming up not suitable. I must give them a ring tomorrow and get it sorted, orther wise bye bye to the line.

Hi Anthony4335,
    What sort of dial up speeds are you getting on your landline?
    Eircom say my exchange (Nurney Kildare) is to be DSLed in Oct/Nov. Nine out of ten times I get 44kbits/sec on dialup and am just under 3K from the exchange. A local eircom engineer told me I have "good cable" to my house and I should have no problems getting DSL.

It might be worth your while talking to a local Eircom tech if you see one out working locally!

Zug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Don't use dial up, haven't for the last 13 months, got the vodafone card as soon as I could. Might just try it tomorrow to see how it goes. It is very anoying to have to connect to eircom, and then wait to see if you can get it. They should be able to just check to see if you can get it there and then, so as not waste peoples time and money. But thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

db wrote:
    Thanks guys - [mockers]the wait is nearly over[/mockers]:D

No need to wait pm sent

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi there,

Any Eircom news on Clonlara exchange being enabled for broadband???

Rang there, and they say before Christmas???

Advertisement