Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in Thomas Read's Dublin last night for Madchester bliss?!

Options
  • 25-09-2007 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

The DJ played nothing but Madchester/Hacienda tunes from 11 to 3am. Absolutely awesome. It was following a gig by a legendary Manchester band, which can't be discussed here for legal reasons.

Anyway, the crowd's ages varied from late teens (literally babbies for "Madchester") up to guys in their 40s who were actually there for it. It was four hours of heaven! Lots of New Order, Joy Division, Roses, Mondays, Smiths, Fall, Primal Scream, tunes like Voodoo Ray (crowd went insane for it), Chime by Orbital, Pacific 707 by 808 State. What a magical time for music that was! Being female, I was most definitely in a minority (such a laddish scene!) Unfortunately Oasis had to be played too - but even I (an Oasis hater) will admit that there are some great numbers on Definitely Maybe.

I'd be surprised if we see the likes of Madchester again...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I wasnt there unfortunately but I can well imagine it was a belter. Saw something similiar at a certain Irish music festival a few years back, a tribute act called the Madchester Experience. IIRC it was in the dance arena and consisted of a live band doing Happy Mondays et al, and a DJ playing classic house/general Hacienda anthems from the early 90s, whole crowd mad out of it givin it loads as if we are in the Hacienda in 1991 or something, it was ****ing classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, nothing like it - well, apart from actually being there at the time! Every time I went out for a smoke I had some really interesting conversations with guys (ALL guys!!!) who had that privilege.
    I personally remember it and was really into it (thank god for older brothers with great musical taste!) but I was very young - only 12 in 1990. Still though, at least that was old enough to appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Sounds like a good night, shame I missed it. At the height of the stone roses fame I was living in the Uk with a bunch of lads from manchester . Very good times but very hazy memories indeed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sounds pretty good. I go there fairly regularily but wasn't there for that night. Weirdly whenever I hear madchester music it always reminds me of the football that was going on at the time (must be the Football Focus editing influence). Was big into football in the early 90's and the music of the time was kind of an unoffical soundtrack to it so I picked it up almost by accident.

FF to 2007 and Footy just bores me but the music has come into it's own. Must stick on Unknown Pleasures now or maybe some Stone Roses.

Advertisement