Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the easiest science subject?

Options
  • 25-09-2007 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

just wondering which is the easiest science subject to cram learn for the leaving cert. and don't give me "'it depends on the person" , i'm asking for your personal opinion!

What's the easiest science to cram for the lc? 49 votes

Biology
    0% 0 votes
    Chemistry
    79% 39 votes
    Physics
    20% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Biology. I may have been lucky with the exam but I studied most of the course in the few weeks leading up to the exam. Having said that I did all my hw and notes during the 2 years.

We had a class of 20 or so and 95% got As and a lot A1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

wat are you talking about, physics is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdadude

It depends on the person.that's my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Physics if you're a mathsie Person, Biology if ur a Englishie person. And Chemistry if ur a foreign languagie type person. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

GaNjaHaN wrote:
    Physics if you're a mathsie Person, Biology if ur a Englishie person. And Chemistry if ur a foreign languagie type person. :)
    And if you're all three? :P :D
    Personally, I find biology easiest, but Maths and Foreign Languages come easier to me than English does. ;) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Physics or chemistry if you understand them else it's Biology which is easy to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Physics and chemistry are easy. They're 'night before the exam' jobs tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

This year showed that you need to understand physics, not just learn it, that said it is a night before job if you listen/work moderately during the year.Biology you can learn off. As has been said, it's just where your strengths lie that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Physics and Chemistry the combined subject :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Maybe i'm just bad at science in general, got a in the junior cert and chose biology because I found it the easiest of the 3 yet finding it impossible now, why oh why didn't I do history (got a A in the junior cert and all)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's funny you should say Chemistry is for the language people, I'm doing french and german and I really love languages and I'm doing Chemistry. I wonder what the connection is? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

meh, i'm doing all 3.. and applied maths..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

ouch..

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Whatever for what's easiest; chemistry is hardest tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Unfortunately for anyone to answer this poll correctly they would have needed to have completed each different course. Otherwise, they will just be recycling things and opinions they have heard from others without much relative experience. I didn't do chemistry so can't say what it's like. I thought physics was harder than biology so I studied it more. When the exams came around, I thought the biology one was much easier than the physics one but I came out with the same result for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I did chemistry in 5th year and found it so hard that I dropped it in 6th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Piste wrote:
    That's funny you should say Chemistry is for the language people, I'm doing french and german and I really love languages and I'm doing Chemistry. I wonder what the connection is? :)
    Physics has the largest amount of stuff based on understanding and logic, like maths.
    Chemistry requires one to understand and learn logical concepts, but also requires a good bit of learning off, similar to the difference between learning grammar structures and vocab in languages.
    Biology, I hear, is just a load of learning off.(gross generalisation, I didn't do it)

All that said, I hated learning languages(despite picking grammar rules up faster than most other people in my French class) and loved Chemistry, so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

OMG! Of course Ag Science is lioke, the easiest subject ever:rolleyes:
    Physics ftw!, even though I wasn't too great at the subject during the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Ye, i did all 4 of those. All night before jobs tbh. If i had to pick a hardest, it would have to be biology cos its loads of learning, and requires a good bit of understanding of other areas of science (mostly chem) to understand some parts. However, alot can be left out quite safely, especially if not aiming for an A, so its not MAJORLY difficult.

Phy is a real night before job, ie cramming definitions. Really easy, didn't like electricity or static etc. so didn't learn them at all. still got an A1

Chem requires a good teacher. Some topics can be a bit tricky but once you get your mind round them, its easy.

HOWEVER, from what I've researched, ag. science has to be the easiest, especially if you do biology. Again, this is biased of course cos i never did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I voted physics, because it has the lowest fail rate, which is a pretty stupid reason, but mehh. It would be a nightmare for me, but if you're anyway mathy-minded, it's simple to get a B or higher.

Biology shouldn't be seen as the easiest one. It's really tough, and very broad. I hated it, and it ended up ruining my chances of getting my points. I had to pick it you see, blocks and that. Chemistry is I'd say, as hard as Biology if you're at the same level of eh proficiency in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

I did four...dropped Biology cause I thought it was too hard...Ag Science came easiest to me cause I was interested in it...then Physics, cause it's just nose to the grindstone bigstyle, Chemistry is easy to be good at with work, but hard to get an A1 in; exam technique plays a big part in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jhn_noln

people what is wrong woth ye chemistry hasta be da easiest by far!!!!!!!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

jhn_noln wrote:
    people what is wrong woth ye chemistry hasta be da easiest by far!!!!!!!11

jhn_noln what is wrong woth ye, englsh is the wayyyy to rite ! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Chemistry because titrations kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

As a teacher of Chemistry, Biology & Ag Science I would recommend Ag Science. It's definitely the easiest of the three, least amount of detail - no maths or equations. it also has a project worth 25%.

Biology not too much understanding required but a huge amount of learning off of very detailed information.

Chemistry - some concepts can be difficult to understand and knowledge of the course has to be quite detailed to do well on the exam.

Ag Science, quite a number of the experiments on the course eg Plant and Animal Physiology are straight off the JC Science course so nothing new there. The material is interesting and if you're from a farming background, it's second nature.

From my experience a student that takes Ag Science and Biology for LC will always score higher in Ag Science - no exceptions. A student that has done OL Science for JC will be able to do HL Ag Science for LC, this is generally not the case for the other 3.

As for Physics I'm not an expert but I would rate it as easier than chemistry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

JSK 252 wrote:
    Chemistry because titrations kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

Having done Chemistry, Boilogy and Physics...

Biology involves the most learning,
    Chemistry involves the most understanding,
    Physics involes the most logic and maths based stuff.

As for cramming, I can say definately not biology, there's just far to much of it. Maybe Physics as it's a fairly well defined course and you can make reasonable judgements on leaving out sections etc.

But I'm not really much of a crammer though so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Naikon wrote:
    :rolleyes:

But Naikon, it is you see.;)
    Plus when you have a great teacher its hard for it not to be easy.

I think aswell that in order for chemistry to be a kick ass subject which it clearly is, you need to have a small class size. 12 at most.

The only thing which I dont really like about chemistry is that you get no percentage credit for the experiments that you write up during your 2 year study of the course. Same as biology aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

JSK 252 wrote:
    But Naikon, it is you see.;)
    Plus when you have a great teacher its hard for it not to be easy.

I think aswell that in order for chemistry to be a kick ass subject which it clearly is, you need to have a small class size. 12 at most.
    Shít teacher. Class of 24. A1. Loved it.
    JSK 252 wrote:
    The only thing which I dont really like about chemistry is that you get no percentage credit for the experiments that you write up during your 2 year study of the course. Same as biology aswell.
    I didn't bother writing them all out in Chemistry or Physics with no reprecussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think they're supposed to do random checks to see if you've got the written up, with some possible plans to have marks given for it in the future...
    Writing up the experiments is a pain though, but I do it because it should help with remembering and all that. Even if the results are always ridiculously out. When doing the calculating specific heat capacity of a liquid, the coil yoke actually didn't heat up at all in the slightest and we spent 20 minutes staring at a calorimeter of water.

Advertisement