Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the easiest science subject?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah, but if they're going to check, AFAIK you'll know about a week or two in advance, so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

JSK 252 wrote:
    I think aswell that in order for chemistry to be a kick ass subject which it clearly is, you need to have a small class size. 12 at most.
    Yea we had six in our class and it was a great laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

When doing the calculating specific heat capacity of a liquid, the coil yoke actually didn't heat up at all in the slightest and we spent 20 minutes staring at a calorimeter of water.

ye most of the experiment didnt work for me, but i just wrote them down as if they did. writing out ALL the experiments neatly and learning most of them off is an easy way to get full marks in section A of the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

Sean_K wrote:
    Yea we had six in our class and it was a great laugh

we had about ten, and whenever our teacher left, we all started messing with the vandergraph generator. we had this ball yoke (i dont think it was made right) that shocked you really bad repeatedly. that was fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I voted biology but of course It all depends on the person. I would certainly think that chemistry is the most difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

chemistry is defo the hardest
    biology is grand just learn it off
    iv an amazing physics teacher and it by far the most interesting
    so physics it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

chemistry suited me best. the others are all about memorising 6000 facts or whatever, chemistry is more based around your understanding of a topic.

a good understanding and a basic knowledge of the facts surrounding it will guarantee a good grade.

for me, i found it easier to spend a while understanding the topic, rather than memorising the chapter.

but, as has been said, you definitely need a good teacher for chem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I'd say Biology is the easiest...there is very little understanding...and because the paper is lots of choice, you can eliminate parts of the course easily.

Chem would be the hardest methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maycie

i think physics, theres too much learning in biology and chemistry! in physics its just understanding and formulas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I hate languages (well, i hate french) but think chem is the secks, so there ya go. Bio is just alot of learning off, not much understanding to it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I don't know about that andrew, were doing genetics at the moment and there sure is a lot of understanding...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

true, but not nearly as much as there is in chemistry (not doing physics)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 -asdfgh-

meh, i'm doing all 3.. and applied maths..

Me 2, and honours english, irish, maths, french nd tech graph. And i was doin LCVP but gave it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 -asdfgh-

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Physics has the largest amount of stuff based on understanding and logic, like maths.
    Chemistry requires one to understand and learn logical concepts, but also requires a good bit of learning off, similar to the difference between learning grammar structures and vocab in languages.
    Biology, I hear, is just a load of learning off.(gross generalisation, I didn't do it)

All that said, I hated learning languages(despite picking grammar rules up faster than most other people in my French class) and loved Chemistry, so.....

Ya im the same, i hate learning off all the vocab but i always found the grammer rules and verb constructions simple. You just kind of learn d pattern.

Nd id have to say physics is probly the easiest because if you just understand it all you know a large part of the course but chemistry is probly my favourite because it seems to go it to a way more detail than physics. Physics for the L.C. seems a bit dummed down. Biology is probly the hardest for cramming because theirs practicly no understanding in it, just learn off the names for everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

This makes chemistry the best science subject;):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBLNsMOEzKc

I have to do that someday. The iodine snakes we do in school are ****e. We used feck all pottassium iodide and the hydrogen peroxide had a concentration of 6% when we were studying the rates of reaction chapter.

JSK 252 wrote: »
    This makes chemistry the best science subject;):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBLNsMOEzKc

I have to do that someday. The iodine snakes we do in school are ****e. We used feck all pottassium iodide and the hydrogen peroxide had a concentration of 6% when we were studying the rates of reaction chapter.

We did a much better one one year, I'll try and upload a video

Basically there was six of us in the class, so the teacher was really relaxed. We tried one or two times and it wasn't great, so she just said feck it and dumped a load of reagents in. It hit the roof and made a huge mess. The paint gradually started flaking off the roof, and there's a huge big yellow stain. The floor is all stained as well.

I'm putting the vid on youtube, i'll get a link when it's ready.

Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoGtCRsV1w

The video's quite poor quality mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Sean_K wrote: »
    Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoGtCRsV1w

The video's quite poor quality mind

Thats class. Id say your teacher shat her pants:D.

I wouldnt mind having either effect from doing the experiment:

1. The foam slowly shoots out of the graduated cylinder to make a snowman:D.

or

2. Your video:D.

As long as its not boring. Thats what makes chemistry fun. You never know what the final outcome is going to be!

Has anyone tried igniting not just a test tube of ethyne gas but a gas jar of it. My god the explosion is big, and all the soot formed is halarious;).

JSK 252 wrote: »

Has anyone tried igniting not just a test tube of ethyne gas but a gas jar of it. My god the explosion is big, and all the soot formed is halarious;).

Yea it took ages to clean the place out after we did that one...no video unfortunately:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement