Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband - Ripwave Question

Options
  • 25-09-2007 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Hey there.

I'm a student with 5 people sharing an apartment and we are interested in getting internet for our apartment. We have no phoneline so traditional BB is out of the question with leaves us with Ripwave or ClearWire. Ripwave is a 6 month contract unlike Clearwire so it's the only realistic alternative.

I know that IBB get alot of stick for their dire Customer Service but we are kinda still interested.

Just so I get this right, It just plugs into the wall for its source of power and it should work? How many ethernet ports are there on it? Just the one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only one ethernet. Occassionally they supply a USB version.

It's only really fast enough for one user. You would need a "ethernet WAN router" to share it (if it does ADSL, it's the wrong type of router). Argos call them Cable Routers.
    Breeze from IBB is better for 5, You'd nearly need an IBB ripwave each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Where are you located?
    Look round the area for antennas on the roofs and ask people what wireless BB provider they have.

Anything is better than IB.
    My Ripwave faded from 256 kbps download to about 20 kbps for me.
    Of course the contention argument got them off any question of slow speed.
    That's bits not bytes, too.
    It often conked out and I couldn't get back on the merry-go-round till some other one on my pipe got off.

Be cagey about any IB offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I have had ripwave and breeze over the years and it
    really depends on your location.

You could end up on a good mast and get good speeds
    but you would at the very least have to get the 1Mb ripwave
    for 26 a month.

I had breeze also and it was excellent even during that time
    when everyone was complaining about it. It is waaaay better
    than ripwave

I discovered yesterday that the double glazing windows in the
    new Flat that I moved into completely block the ripwave signal.
    When I put it on the balcony I got the fastest ripwave speeds
    I have ever seen!! I actually got the advertised speeds for the
    first time in years.

I would get breeze here if I was allowed to erect a dish on the
    place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ripwave: avoid. It's worse than dialup for most people. Breeze isn't bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

im...LOST wrote:
    Hey there.

I'm a student with 5 people sharing an apartment and we are interested in getting internet for our apartment. We have no phoneline so traditional BB is out of the question with leaves us with Ripwave or ClearWire. Ripwave is a 6 month contract unlike Clearwire so it's the only realistic alternative.

I know that IBB get alot of stick for their dire Customer Service but we are kinda still interested.

Just so I get this right, It just plugs into the wall for its source of power and it should work? How many ethernet ports are there on it? Just the one?

Thanks
    IBB were up untill about a year ago still a rinky dink small broadband provider. Since then though they seem to be getting alot better. In the new place that I'm living (after getting rid of my ripwave) I decided to order their breeze package.

Any time I've ever called the support team they've always been helpful and friendly, and they're lines are open alot longer now than they used to be. Their customer service was ****e back in the day but that seems to be alot better now, and I'm saying this from personal experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement