Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Broadband in Limerick City

Options
  • 25-09-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

Can somebody recommend me broadband in Limerick city -I dont have a phoneline so anything like wireless or mobile broadband would be acceptable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Metro in its various forms is available in many areas of your city.
    You could do a lot worse than Metro Lite or Value.

Much more reliable than mobile BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

How good or reliable is it? If i move house from Limerick to anothe part of the country where they have signal will it work in the other house.

Is there a phone service with this as well and whats the min contract

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your answers are all on the Digiweb site...
    Metro is an installed fixed wireless product.
    * Somewhere else that has Metro, the modem will work, but you need a Digiweb outdoor install. The outdoor box is an Aerial and electronics.

* the Modem has two regular phone sockets, You can have one or two phone numbers.. with 061 start for Limerick

You need to add your own Ethernet Router if you want more than one PC or WiFi. The connection is just a modem.

I'm not sure what the min contract is, see the website. But I think there might be reduced or free install for paying 12months in advance.

A small number of people have had some problems with the phone part.

It needs a clear view of the mast from the outdoor aerial they install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

stay away from mobile broadband.

the only options that you have in LMK is Irish Broadband and Digiweb.
    I have used IBB for over 2 years and the only flaw was... they forgot to charge me for the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

or go for smart - its only 35,99 including the phoneline. that would be the best option
    if i only could get smart....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Here are most your options. Correct me if I'm wrong;
    1. Fixed Wireless - Digiweb, Irish Broadband, Ice Broadband
    2. xDSL over LLU - BT, Magnet, Smart
    3. Cable - UPC (formerly Chorus)

All the above are subject to coverage, line quality, etc.

Thegills

I'm curious about getting Broadband also withOUT a phone line....doesn't Chorus offer a service without the need for a line rental? Also what is LLU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

doesn't Chorus offer a service without the need for a line rental?
    Yes. But it is Chorus so don't expect much.
    Also what is LLU?
    Local Loop Unbundling. It's the process of another operator (Smart/Magnet/BT) installing their own equipment in the eircom exchange so that your line is no longer connected to eircom equipment. Only applies to phone lines (obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Chorus / UPC is via Cable TV cable. You may need the equivalent of Line Rental, a basic TV Sub.

Advertisement