Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identity "Issues" in Pets

Options
  • 25-09-2007 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

My cat thinks he's a dog! :D
    When I come in from work he runs over and jumps up on me; he loves to chase a ball and runs over with his tail wagging when he sees me picking it up; and he runs about panting when he's excited - hah-hah-hah - exactly like a dog!

Haven't managed to get him to sit and roll over though. :D

Anyone else got a pet with an identity "issue"?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Yeah my cats think they're human !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Tail wagging in a cat usually means attention! and being prepared for attack. A cat is not a dog, that's why cats and dogs speak different languages. If your cat jumps up on you or 'wags' her tail it means she is angry that you left her bored stiff and wishes to be entertained with catty things.

But talking about identity problems: my spayed female dog loves to pretend-shag other female dogs :o She never does it with males. On the other hand she loves to shag the legs of my male human friends - which is even more embarrassing...
    But I think it's just a dominance thing in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

MsFifers wrote:
    My cat thinks he's a dog! :D
    When I come in from work he runs over and jumps up on me; he loves to chase a ball and runs over with his tail wagging when he sees me picking it up; and he runs about panting when he's excited - hah-hah-hah - exactly like a dog!

Haven't managed to get him to sit and roll over though. :D

Anyone else got a pet with an identity "issue"?!

Any chance that your puss is a maine coon?

Taken from wikipedia: ( full article )
    Maine Coons can be very dog-like in their behavior. Playing fetch is a favorite game. As with dogs, they will bring their ball, drop it at the feet of their intended playmate and wait for the ball to be thrown. They will often accompany their owner on chores like getting the mail, walking the dog, and may also come when beckoned, even if outside.

I know some people with maine coons and the description is spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

We had a turkey once that thought he was a dog! He appeared outside our house one day (fallen off the back of a lorry!) , we couldn't figure who owned him so we kept him. He befriended the dogs and used to chase cars with them (hilarious to see people's faces!), bark at the church bells and go over to the builders across the road when they were having their lunch to see if he could nab some bread! Unfortunately "something" got to him one night and he met with a sorry end. I like to think that he had a much happier final few months living free with us than he would have had if he had reached the destination the truck was bound for.

I was only a littl'un when this happened so if it was actually cruel to have kept a turkey in those circumstances please don't anyone give out to me :o

My only regret is that we didn't lock him in at night.... though I have a feeling my dad was keeping him for Christmas so maybe it is better that he went the way he did :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Nah, don't think anyone would say it was cruel to keep the Turkey like that... if it enjoyed its time with you, and it sounded like it did, then that's eminently better than what was at the end of the truck journey.

BTW my cats like to go for walks around the estate, but I have stopped doing that after losing one earlier in the year. I'm trying to get them to stick to the house & garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

When my dog was smaller she used to sit on the window sill outside looking in the window at us. Exactly like a cat. I dont know how she got up there though. She stopped now cause she's to big for the window sill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I got a ferret who thinks it's a ninja... hides in dark areas, and as you walk by it leaps at you and gives you a good swiping (taps) then runs off into another dark spot... >_<;

Thing's just too playful :p

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Any chance that your puss is a maine coon?
    Nope - he's just a plain ordinary grey tabby - although he is a rescue - so who know's whats in the blood line... Those maine coons are beautiful!

But - Palaver - he's not angry with me - really! :D He's just entertaining himself!

I actually also once had a pet rabbit who thought he was a dog too. He was quite weird - albino with pink eyes and he would growl when feeling territorial. My poor Dad still has scars on his hands from being bitten by him. He never bit the rest of us for some reason. I think he had a problem with other men hanging around his girls!!!

Advertisement