Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom design

Options
  • 25-09-2007 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've decided to completely renovate my fairly modest bathroom including taking out the bath completely and installing a shower (preferably a semi-wet room). I think I should use a designer as I want to get the most out of this bathroom.

Can anyone recommend a bathroom designer. I was down with some bathroom crowd in Dun Laoire as that's where I'm based and they offer design consultancy free but i don't think I could take advantage esp knowing full well that I would be sourcing the raw materials myself.

Or should I speak to a plumber first who can tell me what I can and can't do.

I would like to get rid of the emersion heater as we hardly use it. It's a bungalow BTW. Just want to know has anyone got a really nice design done.

I just want a really, really nice job done as I'll be spending a bit on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Is this not DIY?? "Gardening & DIY"

Oooh, look at you Einstein. I moved it here from another forum.

smashey wrote:
    Oooh, look at you Einstein. I moved it here from another forum.
    Well then the message is very misleading. Should say "moved from ____"
    The forum it came from should have the "moved to________ " post.

IF you read the thread it looks like you've moved it ELSEWHERE.

When I first read a similar message I spent a few minutes looking for a dedicated DIY forum (without gardening in the title) as I thought there must have been one.

And the smart arse comment coming from a mod is a bit disappointing.

Well then the message is very misleading. Should say "moved from ____"
    The forum it came from should have the "moved to________ " post.

IF you read the thread it looks like you've moved it ELSEWHERE.
    When I first read a similar message I spent a few minutes looking for a dedicated DIY forum (without gardening in the title) as I thought there must have been one.
    You see, when the OP goes back to the forum where this was originally posted, they will see a link indicating that the thread has been moved. When they click on that link, the first thing they will see is my post telling them it has been moved to DIY. Believe it or not I do this quite often. Leave the moderation of my fora to me please.

And the smart arse comment coming from a mod is a bit disappointing.
    I took this to be "smart arsey" in the first place. Now that you've explained it, I apologise for misleading you.

• Advertisement

Thats grand then but I do think that your message:
    smashey wrote:
    Moved to DIY.

should either have the word FROM instead of TO and the FROM location or just forget about having a message here at all. It unecessary. Mods on other forums I frequent on boards don't bother with this message. Confused me anyway.
    Anyway, do what you want. Your the mod.

Poor Flooper, checks the forum and sees a load of replies only to find this pile of rubbish. I better offer something!...

FLOOPER, ever tried House of Vogues online bathroom designer? Might be a start?

Poor Flooper, checks the forum and sees a load of replies only to find this pile of rubbish. I better offer something!...

FLOOPER, ever tried House of Vogues online bathroom designer? Might be a start?

Yeah FLOOPER, that site is a good starting point. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

FLOOPER wrote:
    Hi all,

I've decided to completely renovate my fairly modest bathroom including taking out the bath completely and installing a shower (preferably a semi-wet room). I think I should use a designer as I want to get the most out of this bathroom.

Can anyone recommend a bathroom designer. I was down with some bathroom crowd in Dun Laoire as that's where I'm based and they offer design consultancy free but i don't think I could take advantage esp knowing full well that I would be sourcing the raw materials myself. if it is free why not pick their brains?

Or should I speak to a plumber first who can tell me what I can and can't do. u run the risk of being ltd by their experience, and they may not want to explore other materials/systems/etc

I would like to get rid of the emersion heater do u mean the cylinder and all or just the electric element in the cylinderas we hardly use it. It's a bungalow BTW. Just want to know has anyone got a really nice design done.what ave u in mind?

I just want a really, really nice job done as I'll be spending a bit on it.u must have something in mind if u have allocated the cash first

Having said all that I would go for a good pumped shower , using german kit and german shower doors, - not the fake ones from www.XX2.de

Tiled floor and walls with Italian marble
    semi ped basin with mixer tap,
    nice chrome rad, with electric wall heater as backup,
    wall mounted hair drier,
    concealed cisterin for the semi-ped ceann,
    recessed lighting,
    mood music,
    extractor fan,
    heated mirror,
    flat screen TV, with access to Bloomberg ( so as if u sh1t urself when the stock market collapses u will be in the right place:D )

PM me if u post any other questions as am not on here every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

a company called aurora do some nice ip rated light fittings for shower and bathroom areas.ive used there fittings around my house and found them to be good quallity, also if your looking to save space electric underfloor heating might be an option, as against a rad. put on a timer they can heat a small room like a bathroom up on those cold winter mornings without having to turn on the central heating.
    if your putting in a bath ied suggest two types of lighting. the first would be just your standard downlighters with some diffusers and the second would be some accent lighting in the form of some uplighters. theres nothing worse than relaxing in a bath with the lights in the ceiling blinding you. so some downlighters for light when its needed and a softer light for when its not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Thanks all for your replys especially the earlier exchanges which brought a smile to my face.

Yes I am a little unsure of what I want but I am equally sure of what I don't want. I most certaintly don't want, if I can get away with it, an enclosed shower with basin and sliding doors. You know they type. I am restriced with the size of the room I'm all too aware so a lot of compromise on my part is in the post.

I don't really have a particular budget in mind but I'd be surprised if the tyling and (a little bit upmarket) fixtures didn't flatter my expectations.
    Tiled floor and walls with Italian marble
    semi ped basin with mixer tap,
    nice chrome rad, with electric wall heater as backup,
    wall mounted hair drier,
    concealed cisterin for the semi-ped ceann,
    recessed lighting,
    mood music,
    extractor fan,
    heated mirror,

Probably all the above with the exception of the hairdryer

flat screen TV, with access to Bloomberg ( so as if u sh1t urself when the stock market collapses u will be in the right place )
    :D

I think I will pick their brains Irocha and I'll be in touch if I have any more queries, thanks.

Thanks all and I know how vague this post has been. I'll keep you posted about how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

you could try bathroomcreations.ie but they could be a supply & fit company.

For ideas you could look at advancedwetrooms.ie.

Don't forget underfloor/tile heating like devi.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement