Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting a PGCE to Irish Primary

• 25-09-2007 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi. Doing a PGCE in Art in england, but really want to teach Primary. Have looked into it and Secondary teachers are allowed teach primary here (and vica versa) providing they can get someone to hire them. Question is about coming home to Ireland if I go this route, will I be entitled to sit the SCG exam and register as a Primary teacher? Be grateful for any help at all...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

The problem with then relaxation of age and stage restrictions in England, is that there's no professional training required to change from Secondary to primary or vice versa.

There is also no new probationary period required after that point. There are countries where this is allowed only with a bit more training and probationary/monitoring period. I doubt the Irish Teaching Council will recognise you as a fully registered primary teacher without specific training or a monitored probationary period, as both of these are criteria for Full professional recognition. Your best bet is to go for secondary recognition, although work is hard to come by. Or change to the Primary PGDE now.

However I believe you can sub day to day at Primary with just a degree though. Trotter or one of the other experts on here can maybe clarify things in that regard for you.

Advertisement