Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel's 45nm Prices Revealed + Quad Core 45nm VS. 65nm @HKEPC

Options
  • 25-09-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

intel.jpg

Effectiveness tests - 45nm VS. 65nm @ Quad Core:

intel3vp8.th.jpg

[Click to enlarge]

Like the power readings;

Q9450 and Q9300 both looks like winners to me. Q9450 todays Q6700 equivelant but with a much better price and some better perf.
    Q9300 same price as Q6600 and if sligthly less cache is not an issue than that's the really gonna be the sweet one.
    And if there's some competition than initial prices may [hopefully] go lower after awhile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

no1 find this intresting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its pretty interesting alright, but the average increase is about 5% which isnt that great, but its still good. The real test will be to see some overclocking benchmarks. Which is where the real performance comes in, as these new chips are on the new 45nm fab, so temps should be a bit lower allowing us to push the chips pretty hard, even on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Meh I won't even be thinking about these for a long time.. My Quad upgrade is only fresh and it's still got alot of OCing potential left believe it or not...

If I need more power I will just spend my money on better cooling, like water, and OC higher... Can't see myself blowing cash on a whole new CPU any time soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote:
    Its pretty interesting alright, but the average increase is about 5% which isnt that great, but its still good. The real test will be to see some overclocking benchmarks. Which is where the real performance comes in, as these new chips are on the new 45nm fab, so temps should be a bit lower allowing us to push the chips pretty hard, even on air.

FUGGER got 1 to 5ghz and borke like 10 cpu world scores :D

including : super pi
    3d mark cpu score.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Q9300 is a nice price for sure but multi would be a problem for overclocking it. I mean a 7.5 multi leaves you with a pretty low speed wall, also I didn't think intel were using fractional multis with penryn?
    Performance wise it depends on the app, if it makes good use of SSE4 then you'll see big improvements, or if the radix-16 divider makes an impact (it should for F@H). The other thing is overclocking, 45nm silicon + High-K insulator should mean nice clocks BUT they may be a bit multi crippled unless you spend the €€ and get a high end one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement