Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Server Problems

• 25-09-2007 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I have a Win2k server on a network as a stand-alone server. It's used for printer and file sharing and one app.

Recently, the shares are getting disconnected and jobs are not printing. The app crashes a few times a week.

If I right-click on any of the printers (7 physical and 14 logical) I get a BSOD. I can cause the BSOD again to get the code, but only if I have to.

I only see one error in the app log and this occurs at reboot time (7am daily) though this scheduled reboot was introduced since the problems started. Don't seem connected to problem, to me.

Error (3 different event IDs but same message):

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Remote Storage
    Event Category: (2)
    Event ID: 1005 (& 1000 & 905)
    Date: 25/09/2007
    Time: 07:02:06
    User: N/A
    Computer: WHITE
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1005 ) in Source ( Remote Storage ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Class not registered (0x80040154).
    Data:
    0000: 72 6d 73 2e 63 70 70 20 rms.cpp
    0008: 40 20 20 20 20 35 30 34 @ 504 (& 436 & 884))
    0010: 4e 74 20 20 32 31 39 35 Nt 2195
    0018: 52 73 20 20 20 34 38 34 Rs 484

There are a couple of warnings in FRS and System logs.

Any ideas at all? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 homehelptech

Has the app always crashed frequently? If not, is it worth deinstalling/reinstalling.

Have you tried reinstalling the printers or doing a registry cleanup. It's worth a shot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What printers do you have ?
    Windows 2000 can be unstable with third party printer drivers, best to use the flat microsoft ones instead of installing an exe from the printer maker.

any changes recently, try windows update on the offchance it updates the printer driver

can be a real pain with terminal server when a users printer driver upsets the server :(

also make sure you have plenty of space on C:

have a look at \winnt\system32\spooler[ - don't delete anything yet - I can't remember the files offhand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

IF you do decide to rebuild MS have a tool called PrintMig (Printer Migration)
    which exports all your printers/drivers/setting and then lets you reimport them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you look in the %SystemRoot%\Minidump there might be a dump file created from the last time the server BSODed. Make sure that the creation date is recent.

You can analyse it for the files in which the error occurred using the methods described http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
    Alternatively, if it's a small dump file you can post it up and someone might point out the files that look wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Just getting back to this. Some good info here, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement