Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Upgrade

Options
  • 25-09-2007 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi.
    Im looking to upgrade my compuer(well basically build a new one)
    I have a hard drive and DVD-RW already, and I have about 600 euro to spend on a motherboard, Processor, Ram, Power Supply and Case.
    Looking for the best specs possible really, (obviously enough)
    I need an Ide slot on the motherboard, and also on board sound.I have a GFX card to do me for the time being.

Any help would eb appreciated ;)
    Thanks,
    Dónal

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know if ide slots are available on motherboards any more and if they are it will limit your choices. Is your graphics card agp or a pci express?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You'll find it hard to find a mobo these days with 2 IDE Slots, since most HDs are SATA, but I got this board: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337924 and I can confirm it has 2 IDE Slots + they work great, got 2 DVD Burners in 1 and a IDE Hard Drive in the other, along with SATA drives aswell,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

My graphics card is PCI-Express.
    I only need one IDE slot, because I can pout the HDD and DVD on one cable, set the HD as master and dvd-drive as slave.Not exactly ideal tbh, but it will do until I can afford it.Was looking at an Asus P5K Se-P35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I might have a motherboard comming up for sale in the next week, its a Nvidia 650i chipset board that supports intel chips like the core 2 duo and the core 2 quad. And also has 2 ide chans, so you can keep your hdd and dvd drive seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check out these Upgrade Kits at http://www.komplett.ie/k/kc.aspx?bn=10293

For €300 here, you get a RAM, CPU, motherboard, all in a package. Had a check through random boards, and all had one IDE port, as well as multiple SATA ports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

Was also looking for SATA becuase, although im on a budget atm, I still want to keep it upgradeable without it costing me anew motherboard.
    Also, Im looking more at intel over AMD....just preference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Anti wrote:
    I might have a motherboard comming up for sale in the next week, its a Nvidia 650i chipset board that supports intel chips like the core 2 duo and the core 2 quad. And also has 2 ide chans, so you can keep your hdd and dvd drive seperate.

That the fatalty board? If so that would probably be a good deal

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement