Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths!!!

Options
  • 25-09-2007 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

so what do ye all think the hardest and easiest maths topic(honours only!!!)??????

Comments

Differentiation/Integration/optional which I can't remember. That's what sticks out in my mind.

But of course, every is different. Some people even love probability.
    /shudders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Myth wrote:
    Some people even love probability.
    Freaks.

Personally, I love geometry... geometry of circle, trigonometry.. that stuff.

Haven't finished differentiation but it seems handy enough so far.

Hardest... difficult to say, you can get bizarre questions in any topic that might throw you. I'd say probability simply because I don't like it, but once you know the formulae and use your head a bit it isn't too tricky.

The only other thing I don't like is proofs. Which makes little sense as trig is full of proofs, but I mean the long irritating ones you essentially have to learn off. (The one bad thing about the Groups option... you get questions that are basically filling in sudoku grids, then you get a bloody page-long proof.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Myth wrote:
    Some people even love probability.
    /shudders.

*glare*

Probability is great! It's nice and logic-y and easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Not logic.

SPARTAA!

I mean, MADNESS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

<3!

But most certainly logical! Or maybe my sense of logic is warped.. No idea really! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

arithmetic and geometric series.- doing them now, spent over an hour on my maths trying to figure them out and i still can't get them right.

i like trigonometry,differentiation etc and i see vectors is coming up (did it in applied maths already ) thank god for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I hate anything to do with logs... Just don't get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Easiest: Binominal theorum
    Most Enjoyable: Trig or Further Calculus
    Hardest: Depends on the question. Probability isn't hard, it just can be a dangerous question to do in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

Easiest: Differentiation, trig, probability and statistics
    Hardest: complex numbers and algebra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

easiest is prob vectors for me, but i do applyed maths so it seems nothing.

as far hard, im not sure, anything can be with a hard question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Love algebra! Its just so satisfying! And I like anything thats problem-solving based... We did some queer thing with mew and lambda in co-ordinate geometry that seemed a bit pointless, but in general I like most maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Algebra is by far the easiest topic.. after that integration, differenciation and geometry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

It's all hard!! *cries quietly to self*
    Mind you, I did get an A in an integration test the other day....haven't seen an A on a maths paper in a VERY long time, so that was nice! lol
    Not sure what is most difficult...I struggled with differential calculus last year, but I didn't really work at it. Probabilty is confusing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

i love complex numbers. i squared and all that stuff.

'the bells the bells!' (private joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jhn_noln

whoever said there they love probability beware!!! we gt the easiest two probability questions in years last year so expect a backlash this year!!! dont put all ur eggs in one basket as they say!!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fringe wrote:
    I hate anything to do with logs... Just don't get them.
    I had the best maths teacher last year and he said that the question with logs is the easiest question on the paper because people are scared of 'em, seriously just work at them and you wont regret it, and they get easier every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

easiest is prob differentiation or integration as most stuff is in the log tables!
    Vectors and complex numbers are easy enough too
    Probability is alright but dangerous in an exam because you're either right or wrong!
    I found sequences and series the hardest.. probably because I didnt pay attention or practice them enough.

*glare*

Probability is great! It's nice and logic-y and easy!

People who like probability have no souls. FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whateva eva eva

Beware of probability!!! Its so easy to make a small mistake, especially under exam pressure and if you do it'll cost you big time!!! I love probability but I made a horribly stupid mistake last year which cost me 7 marks...... I got 89.3% overall!!!!!

i can't even remember what probability is.
    thats great i am all set for the leaving so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Aww i see people have the same issue with probability as me :))
    I hear a fraze few days ago, it goes somethin like this - If u like and good at probability ur a bit weak in the rest :) If u bad at it, then u re generaly find maths easy enough :) Funny enough, no offence to anybody :)
    I my self find sequences and series quite easy, just finished them in school now. My teacher kept sayin that the questions that came up on that topic are soooo easy, that is unbelievable how students still dont realise how easy it is to get marks in it. Like for example on some paper C part of the question was like the very basics of it!!
    Aw.. and trigs is nice as well :)

i know now. i didn't do probability yet.
    we are doing proof by introduction
    you know #1 n=1
    #2 n=k
    #3 n=k+1

so far noone in my class has got one right.
    they are trying to follow the way the teacher does it.

i have just been following the book and have got every single on i tryed right.
    :D am just feeling happy with myself now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

i know now. i didn't do probability yet.
    we are doing proof by introduction
    you know #1 n=1
    #2 n=k
    #3 n=k+1

so far noone in my class has got one right.
    they are trying to follow the way the teacher does it.

i have just been following the book and have got every single on i tryed right.
    :D am just feeling happy with myself now
    yea once it clicks its a doddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

yeah when we first did that I was like wtf and then I looked up induction in the dictionary and it was like aaaahh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I have gotten to the point in maths where I actually dont have a clue what Im doing but I still end up with the right answer if people get my drift!:D

Its all instinct for me anyway.

Advertisement