Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy rating course

• 25-09-2007 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've just finished my mech eng degree, and still don't have a proper job. I see the energy sector as a fairly safe bet for a job. This whole energy rating of houses thing is going to kick off in a big way soon. I'm looking into doing a BER (building energy rating) course, which are on regularly in DIT. I know that all new houses need to get a BER now, and all houses sold or let will need one from jan 09.

I wondering is it worth doin a BER course now, considering BERs are only required for new houses at the moment. Would I basically be without work until jan 09? Also, would I be able to work freelance as a BER, or would I have to get in with a company that does them (such as mottmacdonald)?

Has anyone here done this course, any info would be appreciated, I don't want to shell out €2000 for this course if its not of much use yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You wouldn't need to be part of a bigger company to do this.
    And why do you believe you wouldn't get work now? All new builds require a BER calc at planning stage, this is when you would do most of the work. On one off housing. This are far easier to do than a house that is already built and on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Grand, so all I need to do is to complete the course, and get my name on the registor of BER assessors with SEI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 l0st

I am planning on building a house in the near future and I want my house to be as energy efficient as possible. Is this something that the architect looks after? Also where is the best place to find information on BER and the new energy regulations for new builds.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

I completed the course a few months ago, although i did is a step towards the new BER for commercial and industrial buildings when i comes out rather than doing ratings for dwellings.

All required info is at http://www.sei.ie/index.asp?locID=1177&docID=-1

Tis a good course but it may help if you have someone that can recommend you for work or if you ply your skills with an engineering company and do all there ratings straight from plans and let them foot the training bill.

Its 2000k to do the course and 1000k ish PA to register. Not something to take lightly if your doing it off your own back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Green_Man

Hi Folks,
    www.BERdirectory.ie has links to BER training and suppliers of renewable energies.

Regards,
    GM:D

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone who responded, especially Green_Man, very useful link there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Nukem wrote:
    Its 2000k to do the course and 1000k ish PA to register.

2000k?? Don't you mean 2k? ;) Also, it's 1k to initially register with SEI (on completion of course) and then 500 per annum.

All info is on SEI website, including links to approved trainers, full list of registered assessors etc. They have a good FAQ section too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

I completed the BER course lately. I was surprised to hear that there are over 4000 people are trainied. I also became aware that some people trained do not meet the min legal requirements to be on the course. a lot of the provate trainers are in it for a quick buck and put anyone on the course. I wonder how the SEI will handle this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Hi holdfast,

There definitely aren't 4000 assessors on the SEI register of assessors though and an assessor must be registered in order to issue certs?

holdfast wrote: »
    a lot of the provate trainers are in it for a quick buck and put anyone on the course.

2000 actually seems very high for a short course like this, I'm doin a teagasc course at the min, its a 6 wk course and it only cost about €500 in total. Whoevers doing the trainin must be making a fortune!

Would I be able to claim vat back on the cost of the course later on if i started earning from doing BERs abd registered for tax?

• Advertisement
Advertisement